So what are today's top synths anyway?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's the best tasting food today ? :hyper:

Equally pointless question only guaranteed to generate personal opinions and nothing resembling facts. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Luckily, when I come to threads like this I am not looking for facts at all!

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm What's the best tasting food today ?
Shawarma
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I used to have loads of VST plugins, but it got to the point that I was never really mastering any of them, I was just finding presets and tweaking them a bit as needed to get the sound I wanted, being lazy and never realising their full programmable potential.

Off the shelf, I'd go for:

1. Electra2 (for power)
2. Zebra (for beauty)
3. Diva (for warmth)
4. TripleCheese (for free exotica)

Those 4 babies would probably give the widest variety of sounds, from the least number of VSTs, for the least expense. Happy days. :)

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm What's the best tasting food today ? :hyper:
Pizza, chimichangas, burgers, fettuccini alfredo, etc. :hihi:

The food analogy is tricky.

Synths are basically just tech, one can determine specific parameters and measure/rate whether a given synth is good or not.

With food one can only determine the nutrients, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not people will like the food. Why else would so many people eat fast food?!

The sound of a synth is measurable, though. If it has aliasing or poor filters, it shows on the analyzer and most people won't like what they hear.

Can anyone explain why Serum uses so much cpu when playing anything with chords, for example, saw pad with medium release on serum takes 40% and on Spire 2% cpu, same number of voices, etc...and they sound same. Is it really that badly programmed or...?

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 pm The food analogy is tricky.

Synths are basically just tech, one can determine specific parameters and measure/rate whether a given synth is good or not.

With food one can only determine the nutrients, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not people will like the food. Why else would so many people eat fast food?!

The sound of a synth is measurable, though. If it has aliasing or poor filters, it shows on the analyzer and most people won't like what they hear.
Yes, but i heard fast food absorption is at audio rate...

Brainstormer and FB-3200

HcDoom wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm Can anyone explain why Serum uses so much cpu when playing anything with chords, for example, saw pad with medium release on serum takes 40% and on Spire 2% cpu, same number of voices, etc...and they sound same. Is it really that badly programmed or...?
Check if you have oversampling turned on and check how high your polyphony is set. Those both really crank up Serum's CPU usage. I've found Serum and Spire to be generally equal in terms of CPU.

Thanks for all suggestions and other replies. I was not surprised to see so many posts saying it's a pointless thread since no one knows what preferences I have. :wink:

I am not actually looking for another powerful synth (I have SynthMaster and a lot of others). Instead, what I was asking for was what is considered a top synth today.

In fact, I am aiming to undertake research on synth UIs, and wanted to see if I have missed something.

Nonetheless this is a good thread in that there are so many great synths mentioned. (My personal favourites would probably be Falcon, Largo and Zebra, and I would also look at Biotek because of its new take on UI design. Harmor seems cool too. Logic users are very lucky by the way!)

It is worth noting that most suggested synths are old, some over a decade. This means, I think, that we need new visions for how a synth should behave. Are the days over for the monster synths? And what effect will that have on pop music? To me, the synth-UI combo is very, very interesting to study, and I hope to get funding to do so.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Fried Zebra :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm What's the best tasting food today ? :hyper:
Hot Dogs, of course !

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 pm The food analogy is tricky.

if you choose like what is the healthiest food that would be a fair pole.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Not all synth but my fave/most used plugins are...

1. Spark 2
2. Tal-Sampler
3. CMI V
4. DX7 V
5. VirtualCZ

I also like Aly James Lab gear a lot, needs a mention.

Return to “Instruments”