Easy/simple/low-CPU VSTs that can loop a sample while song is stopped?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A bit of a weird request, but for experimental purposes I'm in need of a VST that can take any .wav and loop it seamlessly and continuously at all times, even when the song isn't playing in the DAW. Starting and stopping playback of the song should have no effect whatsoever on the audio output from the VST. Also--this is important--I'll need to be able to save the song with the sample looping and then have it automatically start playing again upon loading that saved song, without having to manually trigger or activate anything. I realize there must be a billion and one VSTs that can do this, but I'm specifically looking for one that's as simple, minimalistic, and light on CPU as possible. Any ideas?

Bump... surely there must be a ton of VSTs that can do this? ;)

What exactly is the problem with putting that sample in your daw and loop the song there?
househoppin09 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm Bump... surely there must be a ton of VSTs that can do this? ;)
How many did you find during your research? Maybe you could explain what you're trying to achieve because this really is a weird request. I don't see the value in it so I think there are not as many out there as you might think or wish.

If you've got Reaktor, or pretty much any other modular plugin, you could easily build a thing to do it.

I think he's told us what he wants it to do DPhil - play a sample all the time as soon as the project's open. Man, I hate myself for saying things, but I'm getting old and I don't hold back now.. whether you see value in or not is not the point. We, as creatives, should give an open hand to those asking for assistance, and help them find the tool they need.

Are you absolutely sure, mr househoppin09, you can't do this with your current selection of sampler plugins? DPhil is right though, there isn't much reason to have this as a regular function; most folks want to trigger the sample when they choose! The differently inclined among us head towards modular environments to achieve the unusual, which is what your desire is.

If you're able, I would go down the modular route to solve this. You mention in the first sentence your experimental purposes, it might be an idea for you to look at getting a modular environment like Reaktor, Plogue or Max. If you're on PC, you could look at PureData (similar to Max) - there is a release called PDVST which runs in a VST capable DAW.

I hope that helps.

Thanks CinningBao, that's a helpful start, and I couldn't agree more with your "open hand" philosophy! As far as general-purpose sampler plugins go, I've got Kontakt (full), UVI Workstation, and TAL-Sampler, plus probably a few other minor ones I'm forgetting. For all I know it's entirely possible that one or more of those can easily take care of this job, but I don't know for a fact and am unsure how to even find out (that is, short of having to laboriously pose my question to forums or user support for each plugin, one at a time).

Otherwise, I'm sure you're probably right that modular will be the way to go. I do have Reaktor, though am woefully inexperienced with it. Would you happen to know of any free Reaktor ensembles that would fit the bill for this? If not, would my next step be to take this question to the NI forums if I want to pursue that further? The Reaktor ecosystem is so terrifyingly extensive that I wouldn't quite know where to begin otherwise... :)

No worries :) To be honest, trying to get a sampler like Kontakt or UVI to play as soon as it loaded would be a challenge I'm not up for when the solution can be so simple!

I just a quick look in Reaktor and if you right-click in the builder area and go "Library -> 03 - Sampler -> Loop Sampler", connect it to your outs, drag your sample into the grey rectangle in the UI, connect a knob to P(itch), a button G(ate) and a knob to A(mplitude), make sure loop is on and hit the button attached to P. You can adjust the loop zone by dragging the yellow lines at the edge of the green zone in the wave view. Put the pitch at 60 to play back at normal speed.

I've just tested it in the Reaktor program, not the plugin, and starts playing when it's loaded :) It should behave exactly the same as a plugin.

Not exactly sure what you mean, but
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/sampletrigger-by-wok
may be up to it.

On the other hand, if you want (for me, very annoying) feature, which many old plugins had, to play even when host didn't ask, then look elsewhere (some (H.G. Fortune?) plugins did that and only way to stop was to quit DAW... :D

Come to think of it, some Terry West old plugin might have had also that feature, by using MIDI channel as play/stop.

I may have completely mistunderstood waht was required; wouldn't be first time... :)

Metaphysical function, a Reaktor plug-in can do that, though its the oposite of being simple. To just play a sample it would be overkill not only CPU wise...

CinningBao wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 pm No worries :) To be honest, trying to get a sampler like Kontakt or UVI to play as soon as it loaded would be a challenge I'm not up for when the solution can be so simple!

I just a quick look in Reaktor and if you right-click in the builder area and go "Library -> 03 - Sampler -> Loop Sampler", connect it to your outs, drag your sample into the grey rectangle in the UI, connect a knob to P(itch), a button G(ate) and a knob to A(mplitude), make sure loop is on and hit the button attached to P. You can adjust the loop zone by dragging the yellow lines at the edge of the green zone in the wave view. Put the pitch at 60 to play back at normal speed.

I've just tested it in the Reaktor program, not the plugin, and starts playing when it's loaded :) It should behave exactly the same as a plugin.
Just tried this, and it does indeed get the job done with plenty of flexibility and a minimum of hassle. Thanks so much, it's a great solution! Just out of curiosity, if anyone else knows of any other ways to do this, I'd still be interested in hearing about them.

Can't run something like foobar2000 in the background on repeat?

Return to “Effects”