Moog One ... my wallet just went up in flames.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5593 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm

The first time I played a D I didn't know anything about line level or anything much about anything really :) I plugged it into a marshall stack and about blew up the universe. My ears rang for a couple of days. But holy crap after I turned it down enough so I wasn't annoying everyone in a 10 mile radius I proceeded to shake the foundation of our house. I laughed out loud several times. I didn't even know how frequency limited I was by the amp and cab built for guitars. I finally heard it on a broader range setup a couple weeks later and got to do the entire OMFG all over again.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.

MFXxx
KVRAF
2887 posts since 27 Mar, 2010 from UK

Re: Moog One ... oh no my wallet is hitting the panic button

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Wife for sale, hell I throw the two kids in for free :)
Image7820x 4.6ghz • 32GB Ram • 1050TI • SSDs & Hybrid Drives • RME FF800 • Adams A7X • Maschine • Analog Keys • Virus TI • JD800 • JV1080 • x0xb0x

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2472 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 am

This is some incredible machine. By the features, control, accessibility, its like a modern high-end subtractive Software synthesizer in a hardware form. Come on even some of the softsynths released in the past years doesnt have such easy hands-on modulation system (Loooking at you Dune 2). Because of that i am not sure if its overpriced...maybe slightly, but, it can do that, because no others can do what Moog One can.

pdxindy
KVRAF
14279 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am

In some ways it is even better than soft-synths...

you can save snapshots of various states while you are tweaking a sound
you can make sets of presets for specific projects
you can save modulation setups as presets
Also FX presets
Then you can save the entire configuration of the machine as a user space, and via thumb drive put that on any other Moog One and it will be identical to your machine.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17199 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am
Yep that's pretty cool.
pdxindy wrote:
Omnisphere Projects.
pdxindy wrote:
Also FX presets
u-he has this all over Hive, module presets. However, not the whole chains, but yeah. I think some other plugins have this too, just can't remember from the top of my head.
pdxindy wrote:
Then you can save the entire configuration of the machine as a user space, and via thumb drive put that on any other Moog One and it will be identical to your machine.
That's pretty cool, yep. They took a hint from John Bowen Solaris on this one.

UnWorldly
KVRist
35 posts since 13 Jan, 2013

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 am

I want one but I can't justify the cost until I make some money from my music.
I can't justify making money from my music until I actually make some dang music :oops:

All kidding aside, it sounds lovely. I'm going to wait for the initial hype to simmer down then make an Asheville trip to see if I can play with one. There is probably a line out the door full of people wanting to play with it now.

Stefken
KVRian
678 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am

pdxindy wrote:
In some ways it is even better than soft-synths...

Also FX presets
This is indeed very very nice.
If you compare this e.g. with a Moog grandmother which has 1 adsr, 1 lfo and no save possibilities at all...

Only thing that 'bothers' me is despite the architecture, it's soundpalette isn't very broad. It's all a bit in the same ballpark (judging from demo's); I mean it has a distinct, recognisable sound. So despite the heavy pricetag you'll need to complement it with other synths.

Some softsynths that cost a fraction of this one, have a much broader soundpalette and for example also MPE support. This synth is brand new but based on the older paradigm of aftertouch, mod wheel and such. A missed opportunity.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am
pdxindy wrote:
u-he has this all over Hive, module presets. However, not the whole chains, but yeah. I think some other plugins have this too, just can't remember from the top of my head.
Yeah, not whole chains... the Moog One can save the whole Mod Matrix as one preset.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am

Stefken wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am
Some softsynths that cost a fraction of this one, have a much broader soundpalette and for example also MPE support. This synth is brand new but based on the older paradigm of aftertouch, mod wheel and such. A missed opportunity.
Moog is adding MPE support in a subsequent firmware update. Also microtuning support.

But for sure, it is an analog polysynth. I was not comparing it to the vast sound palette of softsynths... just that I'm pleased to see (and soon to have) a hardware synth that has some of the things I like about softsynths... workflow, preset management and deep modulation capabilities.

On the other hand, no softsynth is going to rival the tone when you start using the Ring Mod, Osc FM and analog filters and all that modulation. I'm glad to have both!!

Amram
KVRian
559 posts since 12 Jan, 2013 from Foolish Shepherd = God

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 am

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am
Stefken wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am
Moog is adding MPE support in a subsequent firmware update. Also microtuning support.

But for sure, it is an analog polysynth. I was not comparing it to the vast sound palette of softsynths... just that I'm pleased to see (and soon to have) a hardware synth that has some of the things I like about softsynths... workflow, preset management and deep modulation capabilities.

On the other hand, no softsynth is going to rival the tone when you start using the Ring Mod, Osc FM and analog filters and all that modulation. I'm glad to have both!!
I am glad for you too.
I am considiring to purchase it in the near future.
Why there is just two waveforms? Tri and saw?

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5593 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 am

They are morphing osc, you can get square and PWM. I read some comment that a person who actually played one at the Moog store said the was a bit "thin". But I've heard a few demos where they are practically rattling the walls down. So, not sure. You can also get sine-ish with the wave shaper + morph.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Well that last live stream was killer

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm

ED, I'm almost positive that Amos said something about being able to use the matrix to add some different glide outputs per voice. But, he may have been addressing my drift question. So, not 100% sure. But they should have S&H on the mod source, which should be able to be used as the scaler on slew right?

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Amram wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 am
Why there is just two waveforms? Tri and saw?
Each Osc has option for Tri or Saw... with a knob for morphing the wave. Then there is also a square wave with knob for pulse width and you can blend between the tri/saw and the square.

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am

I just realized that this is first time I've thought to myself I will spend a good bit of time trying to move some of my favorite VSTi patches to an Analog synth instead of the other way round. Seems kind of weird and kind of an indicator of where we are as digital and analog continue to join forces in deeper and deeper ways.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”