Who will succeed late Tremor?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mholloway
KVRian
1053 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:39 pm

dangayle wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm
I really really really wanted to love Tremor, but it just never worked out.

- I don't need a sequencer. Why does anyone, it's built into our DAW. Makes no sense to me whatsoever

Apparently you don't understand the (many) differences between a Piano Roll editor (DAW) and a dedicated drum sequencer.

They are, quite simply, very different approaches to sequencing. Some DAW's have built in drum sequencer (cubase and logic come to mind, and I think Studio One just added one recently) but many others don't. And often the ones inside DAWs are very clunky / not nearly as full featured as dedicated drum sequencers like those found in Geist and Tremor.

But if your point is that nobody should need a drum sequencer because we already have a piano roll....well uh...you've missed out on a major part of sequencing rhythm sections, my friend.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

mholloway
KVRian
1053 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Tremor has a lot going for it. I'm going to keep using it up until I absolutely can't (e.g. when I have a system it refuses to run on).

-It's a drum SYNTH so comparing it to drum samplers is, imo, very silly. Different product. If the OP thinks UVI's drum sampler is supposed to replace Tremor, why not just use Geist? It's the sampler version of Tremor...

- The sound is fantastic, and the controls are deep, but easy to understand.

- Huge modulation possibilities

- and my personal favorite thing about it: it's so quick and easy to use. There's no bloat. I can get kind of overwhelmed when working with Geist 2 because there's just so much under the hood; but with Tremor, I'm lightning fast on all fronts; sequencing, sound design, modulation. That's what makes it better to me than other options.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

acYm
KVRian
900 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

what's this nonsense about piano rolls, lol? can you even go multimetric in a roll, no, you can't. you can't do shit. you can record your parts for radio music and that's where it ends.
this has got to be the silliest things I keep reading throughout the eras.

User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
7567 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Tremors polyrhythmic midi out ability is still very useful..

As a drum synthesizer It's alright, I prefer driving other sound sources with it's fun sequencer though.
Sound Experiments -> |https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413|
Join the Anti-EDM movement :borg:

User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
3593 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

CrystalWizard wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm
sqigls wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 pm
yeah prefer to sequence stuff my self, and already have a trillion as good if not better sounding drum synths in my opinion...
Yeah, mee too, at least a trillion. Can’t think of one off hand.
I just hope they keep authorizing it. Be nice if they just permanently unlocked it for us.
Drumatic 4 is the dopest thing for thirty bucks. DrumSpillage 2 pwns them ALL though, great envelopes, has FM and makes all kinds of good USEABLE sounds. I find the Xils drum machine a bit too... less concerned with the sound, and more concerned with the sequencing. So probably that is in the same area as Tremor.
I know dudes who love those kinds of drum synths, but for me, I program either with a pair of drum sticks or a fairly simple mouse clicked groove. And I HATE when there is a problem with these 'machines' and the MIDI pattern is inaccessible to be used by another machine, i just like for the notes to be in the DAW. I realise that a lot of drum machines with onboard sequencers have their own groove. I own a Tempest and it sounds great and has an amazing feel. but I just prefer to see and move the MIDI notes myself.

User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8737 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Hammerhead !!1!1

User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
3593 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm

that was the fun right there :P

showing our age :D

User avatar
InLight-Tone
KVRist
113 posts since 10 Jan, 2014

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm sure u-He's upcoming drum synth will take Tremor out. I don't understand FXpansion and why they let their products rot...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

User avatar
hhuang9611
KVRian
503 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm

InLight-Tone wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm
I'm sure u-He's upcoming drum synth will take Tremor out. I don't understand FXpansion and why they let their products rot...
Wait... U-he is making a drum synth? :o
Trance, Trance Is Life

User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8737 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Plenty of decent drum synths, whats needed is an awesome drum sequencer

User avatar
rod_zero
KVRAF
2994 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm

I would also like a drum synth plugin with nice interface, the one by Xils sounds good but the GUI is really not my cup of tea.
dedication to flying

User avatar
Wopelka
KVRAF
3196 posts since 22 Sep, 2003 from under the sun

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 pm

hhuang9611 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm
InLight-Tone wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm
I'm sure u-He's upcoming drum synth will take Tremor out. I don't understand FXpansion and why they let their products rot...
Wait... U-he is making a drum synth? :o
Same rection, here... I didn't know. I found a link to that video in another kvr thread :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7n1BBeeiU

Great! With a Tremor-like sequencer, and a ton of good presets and kits, it will be the thing I'm dying for.

Stefken
KVRian
909 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:36 pm
Plenty of decent drum synths, whats needed is an awesome drum sequencer
+1. Evolution was going to get polyrythm (already has great sound) but they've gone silent.

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9976 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:58 am

sqigls wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm
CrystalWizard wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm
sqigls wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 pm
yeah prefer to sequence stuff my self, and already have a trillion as good if not better sounding drum synths in my opinion...
Yeah, mee too, at least a trillion. Can’t think of one off hand.
I just hope they keep authorizing it. Be nice if they just permanently unlocked it for us.
Drumatic 4 is the dopest thing for thirty bucks. DrumSpillage 2 pwns them ALL though, great envelopes, has FM and makes all kinds of good USEABLE sounds. I find the Xils drum machine a bit too... less concerned with the sound, and more concerned with the sequencing. So probably that is in the same area as Tremor.
I know dudes who love those kinds of drum synths, but for me, I program either with a pair of drum sticks or a fairly simple mouse clicked groove. And I HATE when there is a problem with these 'machines' and the MIDI pattern is inaccessible to be used by another machine, i just like for the notes to be in the DAW. I realise that a lot of drum machines with onboard sequencers have their own groove. I own a Tempest and it sounds great and has an amazing feel. but I just prefer to see and move the MIDI notes myself.
Yes. Well, a lot of people praise StiX ... for it's sound, and others for the fact it's probably the most powerfull XOX sequencer ever offered ( Wich you should not worry about if you dont use sequencers) Just to say that, sounds and synthesis wise, Stix will get many more possibilities in the future ( though it has already dozens of parameters to create a drumsound and analog/fm/rm/samples/cross synthesis, different kinds of envelopes, zdf filters etc) This said StiX isn't for everyone. There are a lot of other drum machines on the market, offering different possibilities and workflows.

It might even get true polyrythm in a farther future.(not sure but ... possibly) Though you can already fake polyrythms with the Polystep modulator ... to a certain extent (Also because you'll still need a good programming level to achieve that)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
3593 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Who will succeed late Tremor?

Post Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 am

XOX sequencers make no sense to me at all, unless it's on hardware.
There's nothing I can do in a 'drum sequencer' that I can't do in a piano roll.
Each to their own, but i LOVE drum machines, and StiX just didn't really do anything for me.
The sound was a bit lacking, i felt. and the GUI is also a bit confusing.
I will re-visit it though. One day.

Everyone has their own workflow, so i'm not arguing that drum sequencers are better for some people. They just don't really do much for me.
I like using the Tempest, generally, but a lot of the drum sequencers out there just feel like i'm walking backwards.

Return to “Instruments”