Korg Radias VSTi equivalent..?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Superwave Tarkus is the only synth that seems to exist in the same sweet sonic territory.

http://www.superwavesynths.com/tarkus
<List your stupid gear here>

Since I have a Radias EXP addon inside my Korg M3 module, and don’t particularly find it all that impressive via the supplied presets, may I ask what is desirable about the Radias? Is it just the standalone version with all the dedicated controls that I’m missing out on?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Because this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVfKSOlC7k

..and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c4FdD2_ucc

Although seriously it is quite a good engine and very versatile. The sounds I used to be able to make were really really good (even on the R3). I believe it is quite easy to mix with the sounds as they are nearly "production ready" if that's a term.. Oddly, it's predecessor the MS2K/Microkorg is still the go to for synth sounds as people would like the grittier sounds.

I wonder if anyone will consider making an affordable software/hardware combination of a synth that is as versatile as this one? Sure it's technically possible with any software synth and a generic midi hardware controller mapped accordingly - but in my experience that usually falls short when the software does something that the midi controller can't easily support...

They've done it for drum machines - I'm yet to see something similar and as broad with a synth (not counting Arturia's midi controllers that offer tweakability but as far as I know - no ability to build up a sound from absolute scratch)

I have a Radias rack and also the Radias card in our M3exp.

While the M3 card does a good enough representation of Radias for leads and layering, it doesn't get nearly as wild as the rack can.

When I went for the dino-cross-grade to get the Zebra discount, it was a Radias .jpg I sent them. And for most things, Zebra really is close enough to get the same sounds. There is still a different character in each though that the majority of people would never notice.

I play my Radias very little, but every time I do, I decide I shouldn't let go of it (yet). It has a definite "grab factor" that keeps me playing it longer than I intended.

The one thing that makes me want to sell it is it's communication with computers. The last available driver was for Win 7/8 (but none for 8.1 or 10). And even that driver put limits on the editor/librarian which effectively killed it. So if you don't mind it being like any other synth from the late '80s - early '90s, then it's still a great machine. I sometimes even consider selling the M3 module and getting a second Radias to mount along side the other on the 73 keybed. And then my sanity returns.

But for software, Zebra 2 is the closest in sound I've found. (But I would put Harmor in the realm also.)

However, if you're still stuck on Radias, I do need to empty my recording room of just about everything in the near future. And Radias is on the list.

Good stuff. I tried to find a replacement in software recently. I auditioned quite a lot if vst’s.

In terms of sonic qualities and user friendliness, it turned out (for me) that Gladiator was closest. It uses some form of modeling which seems quite close to MMT. Now I didn’t buy it because the GUi doesn’t fit on my 15.6 laptop.. I haven’t given Zebra a spin in a long while, maybe I will.

Radias EXP for M3 sounds EXACTLY the same like the Radias, since it is the same. Only difference is the higher quality FX section of the M3. The engine itself is the same.

And the Radias engine is a pretty decent VA synth, with some unique features like:

- Ringmod + Sync at once
- Basic FM (single osc) + Ringmod (cross osc) + Sync (cross osc)
- Pre and postfilter waveshaping/distortion (very unique ones e.g. "pickup")
- Audio input
- Extra transient algorithm (based on a extra square wave or similar)
- Very flexible OSCs, lot of different algorithms
- Sound can be very analog (very nice unison, filters and analog detune), but also very digital
- Very unusual sounding comb filter

The marketing of the Radias was quite shitty, so lot of people still today think this is about a performance or trance synth. At least Korg reused (and still is using) the engine in a lot of later synths.

I still did not find a single VSTi so far which is capable of that above all. VPS Avenger comes close but lacks of cross osc ringmod and cross sync and also those neat waveshaping algorithms. But exactly these features make the Radias sound so unique in my option. You can make very interesting and dirty sounds with it.

Maybe Vember Audio Surge comes close.

Here a bit about the waveshapers:
https://youtu.be/BOdUpIxsOwo?t=1159

A thread from 2006 and still no VSTi equivalent...

I have a Radias, but not sure if I'll keep it. Thinking about downsizing a bit...
What about VPS Avenger? I don't need a substitution really, just wondering if it may be somewhat similar, at least it's close regarding the layers. Same with Tone2 Elektra.

Edit:
This escaped me at first glance:
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm I still did not find a single VSTi so far which is capable of that above all. VPS Avenger comes close but lacks of cross osc ringmod and cross sync and also those neat waveshaping algorithms. But exactly these features make the Radias sound so unique in my option. You can make very interesting and dirty sounds with it.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing in software realm replaces Radias completely. So if you like how it sounds, do keep it.

Wow. What a blast from the past. Original posts are from 2006...

Reading the Radias spec above, it could be almost mistaken for a spec from Cypher2. So similar....

Cypher2 takes it even further with 3 (poly) ring mods and 2 (mono) ring-mod effects. 2 osc hard-syncs (with continuous soft-sync options). Waveshapers (pre-post filter as with the Radias) with wavefold options...thru-zero FM...multiple-mode comb filter...and more.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Hmm, bought Cypher on launch. Haven't had time to play since, only work work work...
Will test it with my EWI 4000s

BBFG# wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm I have a Radias rack and also the Radias card in our M3exp.

While the M3 card does a good enough representation of Radias for leads and layering, it doesn't get nearly as wild as the rack can.
Not as wild how? What’s different or lesser about the M3 Radias_EXP?

I’d presumed the M3’s KARMA made up for the lack of the Radias arpeggiator.

I’m personally not fond of the control scheme on the M3. I somewhat recently replaced a dead touch panel digitizer, but I also think it’s just otherwise lacking in real-time controls (I don’t like sliders).

Since mine is keyboard-less, I have even less expression than the M3 with a native keyboard, and routing an external keyboard into it is not as smartly designed for as the native keyboard I lack (I put a Korg Kontrol49 on it). Patches are designed to address the M3’s hardware, not MIDI controllers. I lack the touch strip and mapping patches switch settings to the 2 momentary switches on my Kontrol49 is a PITA. I’ve considered trying to buy an M3 keybed second hand but they’re not cheap and almost no one has sold theirs separately.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”