Serum or used Virus TI Snow?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Serums sounds great and there is no wavetable synth in near distance to serum.

Too late now ;)

While I admit that I was under severe GAS attack, I didn't buy it to cure my inability to pull good sounds out of my plugins (you may check my soundcloud and see for yourself if my results with the plugins are good or not ;) ) Before bying it I did extensive research about it cababilities and it was mostly wavetable/graintable/formant thing that sold it to me, as well as the excellent effects rack. It's not a problem to get good supersaws and trance plucks out of Spire, but Spire doesn't do real wavetables. Massive does but it's overall character is very different.

All in all, I've played with my Virus for a couple of hours, programmed some cool patches and I'm happy that I now have it :) It's not a replacement but should be a very nice addition to my plugin set. Most probably I wouldn't buy it new, but for about 650 bucks it's fine.

And yes, this effing hypersaw sounds better than in Spire :oops:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yeah, I noticed just after I post XD Enjoy it!

i have a virus snow, the sounds are amazing but it's not really working well with my daw(bitwig), i can't save multi patch as presets, only as clip in bitwig which is great and i get some crashes, and also can only automate the 3 soft knob filter and reso.the routing takes time everytime, it's a lot to do for good sound , i am going to try serum see if it sounds as good.

I used to own a TI Snow but sold it. Between Viper, Icarus, Hive, Sylenth1 and a few others, I've pretty much got every base covered. I've only demoed Serum, but it's definitely on my "to buy" list at some point.

The main disadvantage with the Virus TI is that the actual "TI" part is a bit flaky, and you can't render to audio faster than realtime. Also, with the Snow, there are so few physical knobs that it's essentially just a VST in a box. Still sounds great, but as others have said, it's a lot of hassle for something that can be achieved easily ITB.

As a result I have both now :)

Snow works fine in Studio One. It does crash sometimes but in fact I'm facing much less problems than I originally thought.

Serum is definitely far more flexible but Virus has THAT sound. I love it.
jbdmusic wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am and also can only automate the 3 soft knob filter and reso.
In order to automate more things, you need to right click on a knob in the Virus Control interface and select "add parameter to automation". At least, it's the way it works in Studio One. Works with most synth parameters.

The more time passes the more I am annoyed at HW inconvenience: dealing with cables, drivers, limited voices and instances.

If I get hardware it must have some knobs to make tweaking more intuitive, the snow has very few knobs so it is more like a dongle.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm the snow has very few knobs so it is more like a dongle.
I think about it as a sort of DSP card like UAD. I'm more bothered by the fact that I have only one available plugin instance but since I'm used to freezing everything it's not much of a problem.

Anyway, I think Adam Szabo Viper and Parawave Rapid is the combination which covers almost 100% of Virus TI sonic range (Rapid can load Virus wavetables) and can sound authentic enough in most cases (neither of these were available back then). If my Virus stops working one day I'm actually not sure I would buy a new one. I hope this never happens though, I love the sound and the patch creation process, imo Virus Control is one of the best virtual synth GUIs.

So I've had a Virus TI for about 10 years now, it's been a love hate relationship but lately I have fallen in love with the thing. Do a google for VirusHC by MysteryIslands Music. Jani does hardware plugins which you can download a demo and try. USB on a Virus TI was always a ball ache from the very beginning but VirusHC utilises the midi/audio connectivity but provides pretty much all the USB functionality of the original Access Virus TI. I have it working with Logic Pro X and it's working a treat for me.

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/

Get the virus and browse presets like many psytrance producers do..

so yes right click on the virus and add automation works in Bitwig, thank you! I check out mystery island, it has a very complex setup!!! not for beginner!!

Once the virus is hooked up using audio/midi leads, it takes about 10 seconds to select the virushc and then select the midi ports to use in the plugin. There’s some video demos on the mystery islands youtube channel for lots of DAWs.

What are the advantages over the Virus Control plugin? Tbh, except for occasional crashes which don't happen really that often I'm happy with Virus Control.

Return to “Instruments”