Do I really need Ozone 8 advanced if I get Neutron 2 advanced?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm struggling a bit here, and would welcome opinions.

I own O7 advanced and Neutron 1.

They have two offers I qualify for, and am interested in:

- Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 both advanced

- Neutron 2 advanced only (no Ozone)

There's $150 difference between the two, which is a chunk.

Which should I choose?

I'm fairly sold on the Neutron visual mixer and all its features.

But do I really need O8 other than for the convenience of controlling everything from a single master output insert?

N2 Advanced has uber control anyhow.

And I have O7 which is still pretty good.

Is there anything particular you've found about using O8 Advanced that makes it extra special, and worth the extra $150?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I wouldn't, specially because Iztope has updates every year so it is really expensive to keep up to date.
dedication to flying

There are several functions in O8 not present in N2. E.g.:

- intelligent mastering assistant
- eqs, compressors more oriented toward mastering
- limiter/loudness maximizers
- eq matching
- codec preview
- spectral shaper

if you do not have other tools that cover whatever from the above
is important to you, then O8 is excellent.

I agree though that the pricing and frequency of major upgrades
is ridiculous. I own both, but I got my upgrades from N1/O7 advanced 50% cheaper by waiting for
a few months until the buying went down and special offers were available.

true about high cost
but they add good features
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

cfanyc
nice features.
still not sure about the extra $150.
Are izotope known for having sales/discounts like, say, IK Multimedia?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:01 pm cfanyc
nice features.
still not sure about the extra $150.
Are izotope known for having sales/discounts like, say, IK Multimedia?
Yes, they do. You get individualized cross grade offers permanently by logging in
your account and seeing your products page
and from time to time there are big discounts on those. Make sure you
are on their mail list.

Also plugin discounts from time to time has big sales on izotope products
so make sure you check them out regularly.

I chose Neutron 2 Advanced + Ozone 8 Standard. Why? Because Ozone is supposed to be a mastering plugin, so I don't really see the benefit of having its components as individual plugins nor did I had the need for the vintage versions of the modules. Neutron 8 Advanced was providing me already with Tonal Balance Control and (quite useless...) Mix Tap, so I wasn't needing Ozone 8 Advanced for that either.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Dont get offended but it seems like you dont have your own opinion if you ask others to decide for you.

Ill try to help you. Have you ever asked yourself if you do need Ozone 8 and what are you going to do with it? Will it be an improvement for the work YOUR DO? If yes does 150 usd justify that improvement? Answer these questions and you wount have to rely on others decision.

If you really itch to use 150usd you can send it to me :-D

Not offended :)

Don't claim to be a mix/master expert, but have to do my best all the same, if my tunes are going to get finished.

Which is why KVR is so cool, as it's full of experts & opinions & ideas.

All comments appreciated.

Well then demo Ozone 8 and ask those questions for yourself :)

Just to clarify you mean IF right now as if you havent finished any song yet? :)

Or just make music and let some one else to master for money (good master usualy can cost 40-80 eu, also it very depends on the mixdown). Actually its quite suggested to give to master your own tracks to some one else so that the track could be heard by the fresh ear.

course i finish my tunes. what a question

I personally use Neutron for channel duties (making that individual track sound as good as possible); and Ozone for sub-group, 2 bus and mastering duties (to make the overall mix sound as good as possible)

iZotope only support their products for 1 year, and O8 is near that deadline. In fact the last update was in the beginning of 2018. So upgrading from O7 to 8 right now might not be the best move, as the upgrade from O7 to O9 will probably cost the same.

Personally I don't care for the Advanced version. I already have plenty of bus compressors, distortion and "vintage" EQ's to colorize the sound before mastering, so the "Vintage" processors don't interest me. "Tonal Balance" seems more useful for "rescuing" a mix rather than as an everyday go-to tool, and since Ozone is mastering chain (and you can re-arrange the modules inside the VST) I don't need them as separate devices. Using Standard also saves money on updates, since iZotope's update policy is just pure evil :P

Return to “Effects”