u-he ACE vs Oddity2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That sounds about right.

Are do all GForce synths, aside from the Trons offer the xlfo and xadsr?

Two different synths. I don't know what you re after.

If you want the arp sound there is also the newer Korg Odeyssey. It has a better sound and it is true to the original; better interface. Oddity 2 has extra features build in and a sound quality which is just a notch worse than the Korg. The Korg can be a cpu hog though.

Sound quality is a little subjective. What about the oddity 2 sound do you not like?

Nothing. It's just fine.

The Korg is a tad more pure (not cold!) and more defined. Hard to put a label on it but just try it out.

I'll have to demo them

Do all GForce synths, aside from the Trons offer the xlfo and xadsr?

ENV1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: I'm wasn't disputing that it was different, I was genuinely enquiring as to what the difference actually is. Anyways, thanks for the example, I've done a bit of reading and TBH, I'm really none the wiser which would suggest that at my level of (non)expertise, I will probably get through the rest of my life with no real understanding of the concept... :shrug:
Let me see if i can help.

The main difference is this:

- With 2 polyphonic voices, and 2 oscillators making sound, both voices will always play both oscillators at the same time. So if you hold down say C3 plus C4 you get two oscillators playing C3 (voice 1) and two oscillators playing C4 (voice 2). Totally normal for a polyphonic voicehandler as its designed to do just that.

- With duophony its different since engaging the second voice in effect decouples the second oscillator from the first voice. So if you play a second note while the first is still held then only the second oscillator will change its pitch according to the additional note youve pressed. (Which is impossible with a standard polyphonic voice architecture.) When you let go of the second key, first still held, then the second osc will simply 'snap back' to the pitch of the first keys note.

And thats pretty much it. It also explains why you cannot play duophonically with polyphonic synths.
Thank you indeed. A wonderfully clear and concise explanation that actually makes perfect sense...CHEERS :tu:

I am a big fan of U-he, but oddity2 is for me the best synth, compared to ACE, Arturia ARP2600, KORG Oddyssey, TimewARP 2600 and madrona labs aalto. For me it's best sounding and i am using it most. Korg has very good presets but sounds more steril compared to GForce and the timewArp is a very good sounding emulation but bit is very buggy, they never fixed it and promised to update some years ago.
U-He ACE and Bazille don't give me this analog sound feeling from diva and repro, so I don't realy use ACE, but I use Bazille for other more digital sounds and sequences. I hope Artura updates anytime the sound quality of their old synths and not only the GUI. The Sound quality of ARP2600 is much behind Timewarp and also the fist Oddity which was released from GFroce 2002.

Ace has some really warm detuned sounds but I can't get that wild oddity sound out of it. It's a more soft snyced sound

sacer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am I am a big fan of U-he, but oddity2 is for me the best synth, compared to ACE, Arturia ARP2600, KORG Oddyssey, TimewARP 2600 and madrona labs aalto. For me it's best sounding and i am using it most. Korg has very good presets but sounds more steril compared to GForce .... I hope Artura updates anytime the sound quality of their old synths and not only the GUI. The Sound quality of ARP2600 is much behind Timewarp and also the fist Oddity which was released from GFroce 2002.
I've played with the Oddity2 and Korg Odyssey side by side.
For me the quality of the sound of Oddity2 is closer to the quality of the older Arturia's and 'sounds more as an older sound engine'.
The Korg is more defined for me, more crisp and better in the higher frequencies. (Some might call that more sterile). It has a 'stronger signal' for me. The FM possibilities, that can give more dissonant sounds when used with moderate settings, is much better possible with the Korg. But I would not use the Korg for pads and soft sounds. Rather for leads, basses, bleeps, plucks.
The oddity on the other hand sounds more like a classic VA for me with a more diverse palette of sounds (can also do pads, atmo's etc as it is softer).

My 2 cents....

Does oddity 2 alias at all?

djmino02 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am Does oddity 2 alias at all?
Not sure, but there is a demo version you can check out.
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products ... o_download

djmino02 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am That sounds about right.

Are do all GForce synths, aside from the Trons offer the xlfo and xadsr?
IIRC impOSCar 2 doesn't.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thank you indeed. A wonderfully clear and concise explanation that actually makes perfect sense...CHEERS :tu:
Glad i could help.

That was only a simple explanation of the basic principle though, there are some more things with regards to voicehandling (or oscillator handling rather), that are important to know. Let me see if i can keep it simple:

- Hold C3 and add C4, second note is higher than first, second oscillator will change pitch. (As explained.)
- Hold C3 and add C2, second note is now lower than first, now first oscillator will change pitch instead.

The same explained differently:

- Osc2 silent, hold C3, play higher note, no change in pitch since Osc2 doesnt play.
- Osc1 silent, hold C3, play lower note, no change in pitch since Osc1 doesnt play.

So the first note is always the 'starting point' for both oscillators, but you can then take one of them 'for a walk' if you will while the other oscillator will remain at the held notes pitch. Notes lower than the one thats held let you 'walk' Osc1 and higher notes let you 'walk' Osc2. This all works on a 'last' basis, i.e. the last pressed key automatically becomes the 'starting point' and thus what the oscillators will 'snap back' to when you let go of the second key. You get the idea.

Oh and one more thing. I probably shouldnt have used the terms 'Voice1' and 'Voice2' in the other post since there are not really 2 voices in the traditional sense. (More voices would mean additional oscillators but thats not the case.) Its actually just 1 single voice with 2 oscillators where you can do the stuff talked about above.

From the videos online with Dave Spiers you can tell Oddity2 was a labor of love.

I look forward to demoing it when I get a chance.

Return to “Instruments”