Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Delta Sign wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm Do you have Valhalla VintageVerb?

For those long, bright and modern reverbs, I usually use this preset I made ages ago as a starting point:

Code: Select all

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.7.1" presetName="Modern Hall" Mix="0.5" PreDelay="0" Decay="0.45075938105583191" Size="1" Attack="0.69999998807907104" BassMult="0.62303876876831055" BassXover="0.76392877101898193" HighShelf="0.875" HighFreq="0.59053885936737061" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="1" ModRate="0.29292932152748108" ModDepth="0.30000001192092896" HighCut="0.74590957164764404" LowCut="0.10400000214576721" ColorMode="1" ReverbMode="0.3333333432674408"/>
(Just copy the text and use the "paste from clipboard" function in VVV, if you have it).
I have it but do not see a paste from clipboard function.
It's in the preset menu.

And yes, the Bright Hall algorithm is what you want for this kinda thing.
Thanks. I just entered the settings by hand. I can read the code easy enough.

Made a HUGE difference already.

I'm almost up to actually writing the drops.

Any suggestions from anybody as to where you think they would best fit given the existing structure of the piece? I know I definitely want one before the two big main melodic parts. But other than that? Or is two drops enough to consider this "technically a Trance song" or, because of the length (over 7 and a half minutes) I need more?

Just want to make sure I get this right.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:57 pm Any suggestions from anybody as to where you think they would best fit given the existing structure of the piece? I know I definitely want one before the two big main melodic parts. But other than that? Or is two drops enough to consider this "technically a Trance song" or, because of the length (over 7 and a half
It's totally up to you. Typically a trance song has one HUUUGE drop following a loooong breakdown and a maaasssive buildup with all kinds of kick rolls, swooches and stuff and one or two smaller drops. But there are no rules

Listen to this, I think it's a very archetypical vocal trance track. Try do dissect the track stucture. There is a main drop at 5:58 and an "auxiliary" one at 2:53. Pay attention to the breakdowns and buildups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z-pESrlmA
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

@wags: i hope you realise now i was actually trying to help, and not attacking you.

i think my honesty triggered a few others to give you the help you needed :wink:

This pic is from how to make electronic music.. Did you check the link when I posted it to you?

Not all songs follow this but this is a very basic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 pm @wags: i hope you realise now i was actually trying to help, and not attacking you.

i think my honesty triggered a few others to give you the help you needed :wink:
Yeah, I get it. Sorry for being a jerk. I was having a bad day. Oh wait, they're all bad days for me when it comes to this stuff.

Just don't use a 909 snare roll before the drop, unless you want to bring 1995 back :hihi:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:18 pm This pic is from how to make electronic music.. Did you check the link when I posted it to you?

Thanks. Yeah, I get it. Here's the problem I'm having and there may not be any way to fix this. The way I structured this song does not easily lend itself to drops. The problem is essentially this. The parts leading into the main parts, that aren't so big, are where the buildups were SUPPOSED to be. But instead what's there is, well, what's there. I have to figure out how to squeeze in yet ANOTHER build up that's of the "Trance" variety without making it seem like the song is being dragged out. Of course so much of Trance IS dragged out anyway, maybe it won't matter. I don't know. I just don't want to turn this into a 10 minute epic piece. Not that that would be so horrible.

I have a lot to think about as far as where I want to go with this.

Delta Sign wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm Just don't use a 909 snare roll before the drop, unless you want to bring 1995 back :hihi:
23 years ago? Yeah, I'll take being 37 again if I can have this technology.

Much better. However, to me the part 1:15-2:37 seems a coherent (start of a) song. My first suggestion is to drop the synth part from 1:28 and replace it with what happens at 2:11-14 (+repeat). To begin with. It's not going to be a trance song then. Really like this part. Except the synth at 1:28 hehe

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 pm @wags: i hope you realise now i was actually trying to help, and not attacking you.

Yeah, I get it. Sorry for being a jerk. I was having a bad day. Oh wait, they're all bad days for me when it comes to this stuff.
:tu:

its the freakin weekend, have some fun :party:

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm Just don't use a 909 snare roll before the drop, unless you want to bring 1995 back :hihi:
23 years ago? Yeah, I'll take being 37 again if I can have this technology.
Not that 37 is that bad but I wouldn't mind being 14 again

Go bring 1995 back! :tu:

@Wags. It's not possible to say "put your breakdown at 2:22 and the drop at 3:33 and be happy". As you listen to more of this stuff you naturally realize where the drops should be.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

excuse me please wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:27 pm Much better. However, to me the part 1:15-2:37 seems a coherent (start of a) song. My first suggestion is to drop the synth part from 1:28 and replace it with what happens at 2:11-14 (+repeat). To begin with. It's not going to be a trance song then. Really like this part. Except the synth at 1:28 hehe
Which is what I said above. The structure of this whole piece makes it difficult to fit into the Trance mold because there are so many different parts. Truth is, if you listen closely enough, this is really a progressive rock tune with a dance beat. It's totally messed up musically as far as genre. But that's what I was going for structure wise. I didn't want to do just another generic Trance tune that we've all heard a thousand times. I wanted to do something different. I thought by incorporating Trance elements I could still stick a Trance label on it. And supposedly, the only thing that's really missing is the drop. The problem is where to put it. Right now, I honestly don't know.

Hopefully, people can appreciate this for what it is. If not, oh well.

As for the lead at 1:28, I like it. So it's staying. In fact, I think that's the main lead sound of the whole piece. So it's not going anywhere. Sorry if you don't like it.

I am NEVER going to make everybody happy with this track and I'm done trying.

I got the mix better. I'm going to put in a couple of drops, post it one last time, master it and be done with it.

I've already spent way too much time on it.

@wagtunes

Well, you can make another song out of it!

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:18 pm This pic is from how to make electronic music.. Did you check the link when I posted it to you?

Thanks. Yeah, I get it. Here's the problem I'm having and there may not be any way to fix this. The way I structured this song does not easily lend itself to drops. The problem is essentially this. The parts leading into the main parts, that aren't so big, are where the buildups were SUPPOSED to be. But instead what's there is, well, what's there. I have to figure out how to squeeze in yet ANOTHER build up that's of the "Trance" variety without making it seem like the song is being dragged out. Of course so much of Trance IS dragged out anyway, maybe it won't matter. I don't know. I just don't want to turn this into a 10 minute epic piece. Not that that would be so horrible.

I'd keep the structure of that song as it is since like you said, it's an adventure.

And make another song with new knowledge.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I'd keep the structure of that song as it is since like you said, it's an adventure.

And make another song with new knowledge.
Okay, after really going over every second of this piece (I now know it inside and out) I found one spot about 5 minutes in that is perfect for an "extended" album version with all the elements of a classic drop that will certainly fit the bill. Then a smaller one later on to finish up. The rest of the song has to remain as it is. I can do this without killing the integrity of the piece. In fact, I think it will make it more thrilling. I know exactly what I want to do. It's just a matter of taking the time to compose it.

Return to “Production Techniques”