Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:13 am Here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music

In short, EDM consists of, and I'm quoting, "house, techno, trance, drum and bass, and dubstep, as well as their respective subgenres"

Agree or not, that's the general consensus. So, when I asked you if you used Kick 2 for EDM, I was referring to any of these genres. EDM itself is not a genre. It is just a very broad definition.
This is true but I cannot stand these little 15 y/o kiddies mostly in America listening to their EDM. EDM is cheesy commercial trance that makes my blood boil.

America turned this (ignore the questionable fashion :lol: ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8G8cdbPmp8

into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzAeYWXFpk

Anyway let’s not get into semantics over the term. Another analogy is Techno where techno isn't really techno at all.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 am
- I would avoid using vocaloid, make an instumental tune.
Or if you really want to use it, keep it simple. Like whispering "touch me" etc stuff you'd like to hear from a man twice your age.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:40 am
Or if you really want to use it, keep it simple. Like whispering "touch me" etc stuff you'd like to hear from a man twice your age.
I'm not sure Wags is gay and looking for a 120 year old man :lol:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 am
At my age I can't be too picky.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me neither and I'm half his age ;)

But yeah that was supposed to be fun. Seriously now, if you listen to some tracks from 2000 and after, there's some word that is repeated like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U14uQ26dfqg it's "sunstorm".

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 am
Omg you dirty people :lol:

We already have Gunther saying "you touch my tralala" so maybe world could handle one more artist doing the same :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am

We already have Gunther saying "you touch my tralala" so maybe world could handle one more artist doing the same :lol:
Nobody is touching my tralala. Especially nobody in THIS place.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am

Nobody is touching my tralala. Especially nobody in THIS place.
:lol:

I thought tralala was just a slang name for a cutoff knob or something :oops:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 am I thought tralala was just a slang name for a cutoff knob or something :oops:
You ask your wife to play with your cutoff knob to make you scream?

Urs riding a chariot pulled by cats approves :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wonder what brings up the resonance :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:35 am Wonder what brings up the resonance :lol:
A Kick 2 the Sub Bass

recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:11 pm I'm going to give one technically correct Trance tune a shot. I may find it's more fun than I imagined it would be and maybe it even turns out to be decent musically. I'm never going to know if I don't try.
Then some suggestions:
- use a natural or harmonic minor chord progression for your main theme. You don't need modulations, stay in your main key all the time
- start with writing the main theme, then build a track around it
- use more automation: filter cutoff and/or filter envelope are the most typical targets.
- I would avoid using vocaloid, make an instumental tune.

I don't have Kick2 myself, but from what I heard from various trance producers it must be very good.
If Trance producers endorse it that's good enough for me.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:14 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 pm what DO you use?
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/5- ... ins-639062

These are all good. Though I don't have any experience of that 808 vsti but rest I've tested and they're all good.

Xfer Nerve is really kickass, though it's a drum machine.

Microtonic, a drum machine again but at some point widely used.

Wave alchemy evolution is insanely good, though it doesn't involve synthesis but works with samples.

Izotope Breaktweaker is also fun if your machine can handle it.

But staying in kick machines, mostly I use BazzISM and Punchbox. Though my needs are a bit different than what they are in liftup/epic/etc trance.
I know I said I wouldn't post, but I can't not help someone who clearly is trying to make solid trance (this is not meant for distorted horizon, he has something going on with his cut off knob)...In agreement with Mushy and above, I use Kick 2, Bazzism and most of the time Metrum from Vengeance. It allows 4 layers and you can see them all. Sure some of the GUI is a bit tiny, but the functions make up for it. And you can synthesize your own kick and shape it. The easiest one I think, and I still use it, is Big Kick. You have 2 layers, you can tune your kick (pretty important) easily and there are deeper functions if you need them. Its well laid out and you can load your own samples. It works well for a beginner. At the next level of complexity are Kick 2 and Metrum, both of them allow shaping of the kick at multiple points along the waveform. So its all good. I really like Punchbox and want to find a use for it since it does really hard kicks real easy. Most kick vst's can do everything you need to make a good trance kick. I recently started using Spark from Arturia and Stix from Xils to add my percussion and kick in one sequencer and both are awesome. It all depends on your own personal workflow and what you prefer.

Return to “Production Techniques”