Pan Knob by Boz Digital Labs with intro offer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So it's kind of a dual-band panner with pan law selection (pan frequencies vs change L-R balance) with some Haas (yeah?) thrown in for good measure on the above 100% panning... with Boz's usual respect for signal integrity (high internal processing, no noisefloor, quantization etc).

Deceptively simple and useful.

MogwaiBoy`s "unorthodox" is the word I was looking for and my mind tries to manage it somehow.
It`s the neat and challenging part with Boz`concepts.

I may have a comparison next week between Pan Knob - VUMT Deluxe,
the very idea is striking as simple as it is.
The difference could be the coding of a crosspoint.

I used a wrong term, sum up = build up.
My concern here is to create a build up around centered bd+bass.

Thanks for the impersonal, inspiring discussion, appreciated!
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Alex Hiltons Stereo Control does both Mongoose and this knob for free. Not sure why anybody would pay for it althought I do like Boz plugins they're clipper plugins are ridiculously good.

I don't think A1 Stereo Control has a crossover that keeps your low frequencies as stereo.

On the other hand, Logic users have Direction Mixer which can do both.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:03 pm So it's kind of a dual-band panner with pan law selection (pan frequencies vs change L-R balance) with some Haas (yeah?) thrown in for good measure on the above 100% panning... with Boz's usual respect for signal integrity (high internal processing, no noisefloor, quantization etc).

Deceptively simple and useful.
I think that trying to replicate a true stereo mic recording technique means that there must be some form of Haas effect, though it’s not really an effect in the real world. The distance to the two mics means the further mic is going to be a touch quieter and be delayed ever so slightly (possibly by microseconds), but there’s less of a perceived difference as you go lower and lower in the frequency range, as the lengths of the soundwaves are so long that the difference there is negligible.

If you recorded a kick drum with the above mic technique & placement, the bass would be pretty equal in levels but the high end/attack would be strongly pulled to one side. I think this is idea behind this plugin, as simply changing L/R volumes for pan isn’t very natural.

DJMaytag wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm
I think that trying to replicate a true stereo mic recording technique means that there must be some form of Haas effect, though it’s not really an effect in the real world. The distance to the two mics means the further mic is going to be a touch quieter and be delayed ever so slightly (possibly by microseconds), but there’s less of a perceived difference as you go lower and lower in the frequency range, as the lengths of the soundwaves are so long that the difference there is negligible.

If you recorded a kick drum with the above mic technique & placement, the bass would be pretty equal in levels but the high end/attack would be strongly pulled to one side. I think this is idea behind this plugin, as simply changing L/R volumes for pan isn’t very natural.
Ahhh - that totally makes sense. Thank you so much for the explanation! I'm sure that is exactly the concept behind this plugin.

Just for the record ...
as DJMaytag demonstrated there`s much more going on than with a "regular" mono maker
and can be called a sum of Boz`technical skills or more glorifying "The Boz Voodo".

Going by ear it sounds different compared to VUMT Deluxe.

The concern of a center build up becomes marginal as much as a hp comes into play (before PK),
so far so good ... a noiseless $10 revolution to my ears.

Congrats Boz.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

onerob wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:00 pm On the other hand, Logic users have Direction Mixer which can do both.
So does the Logic’s Direction Mixer do the same thing as what the pan knob does? (except for pan law settings)

Anyone tried them both and see how they sound different? i compared the pan knob’s mono maker with VUMT deluxe’s mono maker - they sound different and I prefered the pan knob.

Return to “Effects”