Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 pm klf wtil? trance?
well i never...
The KLF is considered classic Trance. Hey, argue with the people who classify these groups. I didn't do it.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 pm BTW: Can you link your trance tracks that you produced that you're talking about here, I'll give them a listen. I expect that will help other people joining your thread late.
It's only 1.

Here is the mastered version.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... e-mastered

Recursive says it's EBM. After reading the description, I'm not sure. But it's clearly not "Classic Trance" or any of the sub genres. Honestly, I'm not sure what it would be considered. But the rest of the CD will be more traditional.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 pm
well i never...
The KLF is considered classic Trance. Hey, argue with the people who classify these groups. I didn't do it.

those people are idiots.
im not arguing with anyone, just stating a fact :hihi:

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 pm
well i never...
The KLF is considered classic Trance.

nope :uhuhuh:

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm Recursive says it's EBM.
Did I really say that?

To me EBM is something like Wumpscut or Front Line Assembly, with loud distorted drums and loud distorted male vocals. Your track has nothing to do with it.

I think your track has some futurepop elements (Assemblage 23, VNV Nation) and some late eurodance elements (Cascada) but doesn't strictly fall under either of them.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 pm BTW: Can you link your trance tracks that you produced that you're talking about here, I'll give them a listen. I expect that will help other people joining your thread late.
It's only 1.

Here is the mastered version.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... e-mastered

Recursive says it's EBM. After reading the description, I'm not sure. But it's clearly not "Classic Trance" or any of the sub genres. Honestly, I'm not sure what it would be considered. But the rest of the CD will be more traditional.

Here's why I think recursive characterizes it as EBM, it has the sensibilities of early pop influenced electronic music. It sounds like someone with a pop sensibility is trying to create trance. It sounds like you're copying.

What you have to understand about all of the underground genres is that they are folk music for a generation. Authenticity isn't just having the cliches ordered in the right way, you are using them in ways characteristic of an outsider. Think of genres like delta blues, they are musically simple, yet it's a bit of a challenge to sound authentic. Now, think of music that your parents, or grandparents perhaps, probably played in the 60s, blues, for example, performed by bobby and sissy on the Lawrence Welk show. The gap between your music and trance isn't quite that wide, but that's the idea.

Your music has a clear undertone of electronic styles as might have been produced in the 80s with some more contemporary "trance cliches" pasted on top.

You need to strip it way back and try to understand what is and what isn't a trance groove before you layer on the other elements. It's like making soup from scratch, a good stock will turn the simplest of ingredients into a great soup, but a bad stock can't be helped.

I would start with the last two minutes of that track and the repeating melodic motif. Try to make a trance edit/remix of that. I'm not a fan of those kinds of bombastic riffs, but a lot of trance features them. Pull out your drums and replace them with some trance drum loops. Get the production sounding convincing, then pull out the trance drum loops and try to replace them with your own drum production.

recursive one wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 pm
Did I really say that?

To me EBM is something like Wumpscut or Front Line Assembly, with loud distorted drums and loud distorted male vocals. Your track has nothing to do with it.

I think your track has some futurepop elements (Assemblage 23, VNV Nation) and some late eurodance elements (Cascada) but doesn't strictly fall under either of them.
Yes, you really said that. I'll post the quote if I have to.

At this point, don't really care anymore. This whole discussion is getting tiresome. I'm just going to go and make music, finish this CD and whatever it is, it is.

Life is too short to give a damn if I'm doing Trance, Techno, Futurepop or Prog Rock without the Rock.

I'm sorry. It was Jaquin who said it was EBM. Hard to keep track of all the quotes in this thread.

Anyway, whatever. This is pointless. I'll finish this CD and people will form whatever opinion about genre and quality that they want and then I'll move onto the next thing I'm going to do and put this behind me.

6 months from now, nobody will even remember any of this.

Cricky 39 pages... guess I'm pretty late to this one :D, so I'll refrain from repeating what others have said about the track, that I listened to from the OP. I've been reviewing music tracks from as far back to that of when music was being uploaded to Reasonstation back in 2002. Personally I've been producing trance music since the mid 1990's, so I've a fair idea of what makes a trance track which seems to be the discussion here.

In any case, I'm gonna post this track I created last year which might help the OP instead of writing a review of his, which will probably be more of a help to him in getting an idea of what people have been saying. In this case it's an orchestral trance piece.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... d-of-light
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Really.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 pm Anyway, whatever. This is pointless. I'll finish this CD and people will form whatever opinion about genre and quality that they want and then I'll move onto the next thing I'm going to do and put this behind me.

Why is it pointless? Either you want to learn the genre or you don't. You can make whatever music that you want and call it whatever you want, but if you want other people to call it X, then you are going to have to accept that X has qualifications.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 pm Anyway, whatever. This is pointless. I'll finish this CD and people will form whatever opinion about genre and quality that they want and then I'll move onto the next thing I'm going to do and put this behind me.

Why is it pointless? Either you want to learn the genre or you don't. You can make whatever music that you want and call it whatever you want, but if you want other people to call it X, then you are going to have to accept that X has qualifications.
Yeah, I get that. In fact, it's so "duh" obvious that it's the reason I got my nose all out of joint in the first place. It's just not worth all the aggravation.

Point is, I've gotten all the tips, points, advice, and listened to all the music I need to listen to in order to just do it already. Either I will or I won't (succeed). There's really nothing left to talk about.

I mean what's left to say after 39 pages.

I either get it by now or I don't.

And if I don't, quite honestly, I'm an idiot.

So let's put this to bed and see what I come up with.

Agree?

perhaps if you change the thread title to " i no longer need help w/ ... "
otherwise , people may drop in after 39 pages , and attempt to enlighten you ...

experimental.crow wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:26 am perhaps if you change the thread title to " i no longer need help w/ ... "
otherwise , people may drop in after 39 pages , and attempt to enlighten you ...
That's probably a good idea. And then the 2nd track is finished, I'll post it and change the title to "Track 2 Completed" or something like that.

recursive one wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 pm
Did I really say that?

it was me who said you had gone into euro ebm territory (icon of coil/vnv nation)

FLA are more industrial imo

Return to “Production Techniques”