A Synth is only as good as its presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 pm
anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pmi rarely have the patience to do sounddesign on a particular synth.

For the kind of music I make, sound design is 100% a part of the composition process -- it's as important to me as choices of frequency and rhythm.

Also the more sounds you build yourself, the easier it gets. To me, it's faster than auditioning dozens or hundreds of presets.

When I build sounds myself, I feel like I can commit to them. If I choose a preset, even if I tweak it, I'm going to second-guess that and go try other presets, or even other plugins.

Sometimes I do like flipping through presets and inspiration-hunting. Usually all I do is jam though. I'll find a funk bass sound, play a couple of basslines, grin and move on because I don't have any use for that sound in my recordings. I will zip past a hundred wobble basses and whatever. I'll find a DX7-like piano, jam on that for 10 minutes and move on. I'll find some spacey pad and play with it for a while and my spouse will say "that sounds nice" and I'll say "yep" and move on. I'll load up drumkits in Maschine and do some finger drumming, and it's a lot of fun, but I know it is not relevant to the kind of music I write anymore. But in a sense, this is a kind of practice -- working on live playing and improvisation skills -- and it doesn't feel like a waste of time.

Part of my bias away from presets is simply using modular (and Microbrute) a lot. Maybe 10% of my synth usage is software now, and it tends to be LuSH-101 or Aalto or Buchla Easel V, which I feel are relatively simple to work with from a blank slate. (I do stick to one, monotimbral voice in LuSH-101 though; I've never really liked the idea of multitimbral plugins when I could just load multiple instances instead.)

yep, and why not so?

i hoarded so much synths, i always find something energizing my brain to start a piece of music. there are so much presets for sounds, the synth1 alone has thousands of presets from all these cool soundfiddlers.
i praise them all for their efforts hereby.

i have just one rule i follow on any synths presets^^.
its just the good old "turn off reverb, echoe..." ^^. sometimes even chorus flanger phaser or any other effects at once. i can´t stand these effect overkills, and sometimes the effects section of synths is simply useless :D.
and i never use readymade sequences. theres is a barrier for me. i dont like using readymade rhythmic or melodic structures made by other people. or readymade samples. i mostly resample evrything or make my own. i dont draw into pianorolls, i always manually PLAY anything and record it.
its a thing i recommend to anybody: PLAY YOURSELF AND RECORD EVRYTHING :D.
(and dont give a shit if u are not a vurtuoso of your, or any, instrument^^.)

Huh, how's that? There are some excellent synths out there with sh*t patches.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm
AutoMotto wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 pm A synth is only as good as it's programmer ;)
Programmer as in developer or sound designer?
Sound designer or programmer, ;) back in the day of monophonic synths, we were our own preset developers, note paper and pen to write down parameter settings. IMO it's what you as the musician wants from your instrument, screw the presets, explore your synth on your own, come up with your own patches, too many people expect a helping hand. My first synth was a Roland SH-5 and I made my own sounds. Delve in, create your own and enjoy your instrument :wink:

anttimaatteri wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 pm (and dont give a shit if u are not a vurtuoso of your, or any, instrument^^.)
theres only one vurtuoso around here :ud:

As someone who started out on an OB-Xa and then went to to have a couple of OB8's,a couple of Linn 9000's,DX7's,TX816's,a Jupiter 8,Prophet this and that and a host of other analog and digital toys as well as a heap of outboard gear and consoles,I say "Thank God for the digital world"...

For so many reasons,I don't miss the bulky old temperamental gear at all...

But for the analog dreamers out there who have never experienced that dusty and antiquated technology I say,"Pony up and enjoy the show"...

Ohh...And don't forget to find a good tech who doesn't charge the earth,get schematics and service manuals for everything,some solid road cases and insurance for that precious gear,factor in the ever escalating freight charges and stock up on some of those good ol' Curtis chips :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:22 pm As someone who started out on an OB-Xa and then went to to have a couple of OB8's,a couple of Linn 9000's,DX7's,TX816's,a Jupiter 8,Prophet this and that and a host of other analog and digital toys as well as a heap of outboard gear and consoles,I say "Thank God for the digital world"...

For so many reasons,I don't miss the bulky old temperamental gear at all...

But for the analog dreamers out there who have never experienced that dusty and antiquated technology I say,"Pony up and enjoy the show"...

Ohh...And don't forget to find a good tech who doesn't charge the earth,get schematics and service manuals for everything,some solid road cases and insurance for that precious gear,factor in the ever escalating freight charges and stock up on some of those good ol' Curtis chips :wink:
Many people do live in a rose colored glasses world. I remember those days too and wouldn't go back to them for anything.

Double post...
Last edited by digitalboytn on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Ohh...I almost forgot...

Some of those out of stock TTL chips might be good to carry around for backup and if you can get the source code for the software revisions,an Eprom burner might come in handy too...

Along with a screwdriver and a multimeter to keep those internal voltages in check,along with a good power conditioner and a step up/step down transformer if you're touring...

Don't forget to add a few solid keyboard stands,the racked outboard gear,some high quality cables and a small analog mixer to buss it all through to the main console...

Yes Sir...You've gotta love that good ol' analog gear...

It's a funking nightmare :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 pm Ohh...I almost forgot...

Some of those out of stock TTL chips might be good to carry around for backup and if you can get the source code for the software revisions,an Eprom burner might come in handy too...

Along with a screwdriver and a multimeter to keep those internal voltages in check,along with a good power conditioner and a step up/step down transformer if you're touring...

Don't forget to add a few solid keyboard stands,the racked outboard gear,some high quality cables and a small analog mixer to buss it all through to the main console...

Yes Sir...You've gotta love that good ol' analog gear...

It's a funking nightmare :)
This

but the presets are only as good as the sound designer :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 am but the presets are only as good as the sound designer :idea:
Exactly.

Urs wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm Define "good preset" and "usable preset". At least one synth you mention has a factory bank where hardly any preset has Velocity, ModWheel and Aftertouch assigned to about anything. In my view that's bad preset design, but it doesn't seem to have an impact for many people. To the contrary, it seems that many people prefer non-dynamic presets as it accommodates their style of production better than the other way round. Yet others praise preset banks that are very dynamically playable.
Urs, thing is dynamic presets are more usable in performance then producing music. I mean producing like work where you have to sit 8 hours a day :-) modwheel is usable tho :-)

For me good preset is that one where you dont have to do alot of tweaking. Some presets of certain sounds can sound dull or thin where you have to tweak them inside the synth. Some of the presets are just overdone with post processing and all those velocities. All that ofcourse make it sound great as a single preset but you have to turn down all that unnescery stuff to be usable in the track.

Middle is the best. Beauty is in simplicity.

Presets serve a variety of functions.

Synths vary both in quality, and in spirit/style.

Factory presets should contain the following functions.
1. To market the synth with it's most interesting timbres and features (to demo the synth).
2. Newbie bank, usually the same as the marketing bank, intended to get the newbies started.
3. Templates, creating initialization for sound designers who want to jump into crafting a new sound.
4. Themic/Spot-On, are usually themic or spot on presets that require exact settings for a synth to get a rare sound.

If a synth is a good quality, it is reasonable to assume the marketing preset bank will be good. So most people get the initial appeal from the website demo songs and presets. If the synth is a good quality, but the marketing bank stinks, something is off. They then should probably contact Aiyn Zahev, Adam Szabo, etc.. and improve their marketing substantially.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm I remember those days too and wouldn't go back to them for anything.
For the people who have been through all of that and actually lived the life,it's a different reality than the dreamers who lust after that old equipment...

The're interested in vintage synths and we've become vintage cynics...

= Old cynics :wink:

But I guess the novelty will wear off for them once they start riding...

A few days in the saddle and their arse will feel like it's on fire...

Their friendly chiropractor will be sending them Christmas cards and appointment reminders,as he thanks his lucky stars that their analog dreams have paid for his family's vacation once again...

It's funny...I don't have too many material dreams,so whenever I walk into a studio filled with old analog gear now,it feels a little unhealthy...

Like something has died in there :scared:
No auto tune...

anomandaris1 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 pm
Well, presets usually are not as expressive as most real instruments.
For the most part, not even close...

Return to “Instruments”