u-he ACE vs Oddity2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jacqueslacouth wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm
Julien Unison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm Duophonic mode is really more than simply an extended mono mode.
It generates a very special sound harmonically speaking.
Like really simple but powerful chords (like "power chords" in the guitar world) where 2 notes are turning around each other in spiral.

A very vibrating sound. Like when you play only two strings on an electric guitar, that generates vibrating simple chords, and where the speed of the vibration is depending on the gap between the 2 played notes.
Is there something special about a duophonic mode in doing this that makes it any different from simply playing 2 note chords on any other polyphonic synth?
no

Last weekend i played with real odissey. It sounded so ugly i prefered even Sylenth1 over that.

Why "even"? 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 pm Why "even"? 8)
Because despite being popular for many years, Sylenth1 is a VA and it does fall down in comparison with hardware synths, especialy in the "fullness" (like full frequency range) :)

But thats not the case, i dont know actually how to say it, but it felt that Arp was a bit TOO stiff (dont know what word to say), and a bit lifeless (witch i also found Korg Minilogue to be like that). Maybe others do like this, i personaly dont.

Maybe it was the headphones i tested on, dont know, but i really didnt liked the sound of ARP.

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 am Because despite being popular for many years, Sylenth1 is a VA and it does fall down in comparison with hardware synths, especialy in the "fullness" (like full frequency range) :)

But thats not the case, i dont know actually how to say it, but it felt that Arp was a bit TOO stiff (dont know what word to say), and a bit lifeless (witch i also found Korg Minilogue to be like that). Maybe others do like this, i personaly dont.

Maybe it was the headphones i tested on, dont know, but i really didnt liked the sound of ARP.
Not sure an oscilloscope backs that claim up. Some analog hardware synths actually sounded as if they had a hardwired LP filter cutting the sound off at about 16 kHz, which in turn seemed to stress the mid-range and bass.

Yes, Sylenth1 sounds a bit flat unless you use the equalizer. When you set the eq right, you can get very close to what are considered the top soft synths these days, which in turn are said to rival old hardware in terms of sound character and thickness.
(By the way, Lennard is working on an update with further improved sound quality :) )

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pmYes, Sylenth1 sounds a bit flat unless you use the equalizer. When you set the eq right, you can get very close to what are considered the top soft synths these days, which in turn are said to rival old hardware in terms of sound character and thickness.
(By the way, Lennard is working on an update with further improved sound quality :) )
Sylenth does not come close to the complex and nuanced filter responses in something like Repro. EQ has nothing to do with that.

exmatproton wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm
Julien Unison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm Duophonic mode is really more than simply an extended mono mode.
Like really simple but powerful chords (like "power chords" in the guitar world) where 2 notes are turning around each other in spiral.

A very vibrating sound. Like when you play only two strings on an electric guitar, that generates vibrating simple chords, and where the speed of the vibration is depending on the gap between the 2 played notes.
Is there something special about a duophonic mode in doing this that makes it any different from simply playing 2 note chords on any other polyphonic synth?
no
On duophonic synths the oscillators share the same filter,vca,etc.
On a polyphonic synth you get completely seperate voices. The oscillators go though seperate filters, vca’s ,etc.
This often leads to different sounds and behaviour.

On duophonic synths the oscillators share the same filter,vca,etc.
On a polyphonic synth you get completely seperate voices. The oscillators go though seperate filters, vca’s ,etc.
This often leads to different sounds and behaviour.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pmYes, Sylenth1 sounds a bit flat unless you use the equalizer. When you set the eq right, you can get very close to what are considered the top soft synths these days, which in turn are said to rival old hardware in terms of sound character and thickness.
Sylenth does not come close to the complex and nuanced filter responses in something like Repro. EQ has nothing to do with that.

You mean filter self-oscillation? I never use that so I can't tell. But for standard synth sounds, they can sound very similar. And yes, the EQ has a lot to do with it because stressing certain frequencies removes the thin character some people complain about...

Which half is which synth in this short audio, in which I set S1's EQ so that it kind of resembles Diva's sound? It is just two slightly detuned saw waves without effects (except the EQ, that is)...

https://app.box.com/s/4qodih8ceyankftwxcry3ubmvluai915

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pmYou mean filter self-oscillation? I never use that so I can't tell. But for standard synth sounds, they can sound very similar. And yes, the EQ has a lot to do with it because stressing certain frequencies removes the thin character some people complain about...
No, that is not what I mean... but there is really nothing more to say if you think some EQ makes Sylenth sound like an analog synth or even a quality emulation. Please, just carry on thinking that.

I will :tu:
The EQ is about sound character, namely thin vs fat, bright vs bottom, etc.

Anybody use Sonivox Time Warp? I got it in a bundle and it seems pretty solid. Kind of like a combination of Ace and the Korg Oddysey plugin

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 pm I will :tu:
The EQ is about sound character, namely thin vs fat, bright vs bottom, etc.
a good 'ol tilt eq comes in handy in these type situations

Never heard of a tilt eq. But basically it is a Tone knob like the one found on cheap stereos or speaker, right?

well, you've never heard of it, so, CLEARLY, it must only be found, if at all, as a "tone knob" on cheap stereos or speakers. that much, is for sure.

Return to “Instruments”