Bitwig vs. Ableton

Official support for: bitwig.com
Yokai
KVRist
437 posts since 7 Nov, 2017

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 am

Trancit wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 am
M-Prod wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am
...
Mixer:
-Double click to set fader to 0db, move the fader with the arrows (course or fine with shift).

Misc.:
...
-In Ableton I can adjust any control with the keyboard arrows! (that's a BIG omission for me in bitwig)
...
+1

That´s for me a biggie too... especially where it makes sense to move a control in +-1 increments like the sample selector it´s much more convenient in Ableton...
Would really like to see some kind of control that allows similar workflow...
How about a modulator... just an arrow up and down, which allows stepping through something in +-1 increments... click and hold to move continiously

+ It doesn´t make really sense, that the new selector knob in Sampler works in percentage...
The selector has a clear range of 128 steps and for it to work properly with 128´s, percentage doesn´t make any sense at all...
Same for the envelopes in polysynth... to measure attack, decay and release in percentage is nonsense as the range is unkown and normaly not linear...
I totally agree on the Selector knob needing to be a full range of index values from 0-127 instead of being a percentage. I’d even be okay with them changing it from a knob to an enumerated list control like the “Coarse” control in the Note Pitch Shifter device. Submit a formal feature request to support@bitwig.com. I have!
Bitwig | Ableton | Windows 10
baphometrix.com | My YouTube producer tutorials

kpv
KVRist
104 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am

Moving the faders, and other parameters, with the arrow keys in Live is handy, but I much prefer Bitwigs way of pressing ctrl + any value to type in the value you want. Fine adjustments with right mouse button and shift together is amazing as well.

Instead, we get to move the automation points with alt/shift + the arrows keys and Ableton has no way to compete with that afaik. Fine adjustment heaven. :tu:

SmajjL
KVRist
36 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 am

Randall P. McMurphy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm
This is getting wildly off topic but could someone slightly tweak the Arturia Minilab mk2 script posted to work with an Akai MPK mini mk2?
If you are having problems like, Bitwig does not learn/use the knobs correctly then:
Try the Bitwig's Akai MPK mini and then (prog select) and hit Pad6, try again. 8)
Bitwig / REAPER / Maschine Mikro MK2 / rFactor 2 & Gevalia Coffee & .. ;)

Trancit
KVRAF
1958 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am

kpv wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am
Moving the faders, and other parameters, with the arrow keys in Live is handy, but I much prefer Bitwigs way of pressing ctrl + any value to type in the value you want. Fine adjustments with right mouse button and shift together is amazing as well...
But this all doesn´t work well, if you i.e. want to step through values like you would normaly do with i.e. the sample selector

kpv
KVRist
104 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am

Trancit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am
kpv wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am
Moving the faders, and other parameters, with the arrow keys in Live is handy, but I much prefer Bitwigs way of pressing ctrl + any value to type in the value you want. Fine adjustments with right mouse button and shift together is amazing as well...
But this all doesn´t work well, if you i.e. want to step through values like you would normaly do with i.e. the sample selector
Oh, can't argue with that! It's pretty weird if you ask me. Bitwig is able to tell us the notes of each filters frequency with surgical precision, but not where we are in between 1-128 in the sample selector. Have you already sent in a feature request? I'll happily back it up (I've been thinking about asking for this too).
Last edited by kpv on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trancit
KVRAF
1958 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm

I sent mine...yes...

User avatar
strovoknights
KVRist
327 posts since 22 Aug, 2014

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:06 pm

If anyone has problem as MIDI Controller Script not working,Would you try "DrivenByMoss - Generic Flexi" for Bitwig.
Generic Flexi is possible make a any type Controller scripts,It is very easy.
I'm using Generic Flexi for my Maschine Studio,working fine as near Maschine4Bitwig.
Making a scripts by Generic Flexi is pull down from comand menu and assign to your controller.
very easy.
Maybe any midi controllers working well ,If use a DrivenByMoss - Generic Flexi.

more infomation.
DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=502948

and Generic Flexi Video tutorial.
viewtopic.php?p=7062827#p7062827
---Bitwig 2.4.3/ Live 10 Suite/ FL Studio 20/ Studio One 4---
>>Bitwig Device Panel Sharing Thanks for aMUSEd!!
>>My Dropbox for VST Plugin Mappings in Bitwig .

User avatar
ChamomileShark
KVRian
1418 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:02 am

I'd like to see some kind of MIDI step sequencer / composer like the M4L devices. It may be there, I'm new to Bitwig but I've yet to find it.

User avatar
Enrize
KVRist
330 posts since 18 Jan, 2017

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 pm

M-Prod wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am
-I cannot rename clips in arrangement (only in the inspector panel)
-Although you can resize channels, you cannot make them smaller like in Ableton (I don't own 2.4 yet
1. You can.Hold Control+Shift and click on a clip/track
2. You can. Search for "Toggle large track height" button. You can also assign a shortcut to it.

Trancit
KVRAF
1958 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:41 am

Enrize wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 pm
...
2. You can. Search for "Toggle large track height" button. You can also assign a shortcut to it.
This is an "all or nothing" button... in Ableton you can minimize single tracks or all... sounds little but has a huge impact...
And Bitwig made the same mistake like Ableton... in minimized state there is no data in the clip visible anymore, which ruins the general overview for me for audio clips... many if not all other DAWs out there show the clip content even in small track heights...
What I like much better in Bitwig is the rasterized/grid changing of the track height.

M-Prod
KVRist
155 posts since 1 Jun, 2005 from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 am

Oh another thing I really love about Ableton and I'm not sure this has been mentioned.. the fact that midi plays although you're halfway a note in a clip. Really smart, as if it were a sample. This is especially nice with e.g. an arpeggiator controlled by long notes.
@George Sigsally, I hope you keep updating this list. This could be a nice unbiased overview for comparison. Imo right now it is a little more focused on the pro's of Bitwig (although understandably in a bitwig forum) but since this comes up high when people look for "bitwig vs Ableton", I feel it should be a quality list. All in all I hope the user base of Bitwig will grow despite some of it's shortcomings, because I feel they are a dedicated, hard working talented team and the program deserves to do well (and it's healthy for Ableton to have some competition).

astey
KVRist
38 posts since 9 Feb, 2017

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am

About II.3
Bitwig allows to draw lines in velocity fields by a mouse hotkey.
(was it alt + drag?? i forgot)

An addition for II:
Ableton supports REX and REX2 audio files and Bitwig doesn't.

George Sigsally
KVRist
62 posts since 5 Feb, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:30 am

ChamomileShark wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:02 am
I'd like to see some kind of MIDI step sequencer / composer like the M4L devices. It may be there, I'm new to Bitwig but I've yet to find it.
Yea I specially miss the one from Fabrizio Poce, also his automation editor and preset morpher, and better XY Pad.

George Sigsally
KVRist
62 posts since 5 Feb, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 am

M-Prod wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 am
Oh another thing I really love about Ableton and I'm not sure this has been mentioned.. the fact that midi plays although you're halfway a note in a clip. Really smart, as if it were a sample. This is especially nice with e.g. an arpeggiator controlled by long notes.
@George Sigsally, I hope you keep updating this list. This could be a nice unbiased overview for comparison. Imo right now it is a little more focused on the pro's of Bitwig (although understandably in a bitwig forum) but since this comes up high when people look for "bitwig vs Ableton", I feel it should be a quality list. All in all I hope the user base of Bitwig will grow despite some of it's shortcomings, because I feel they are a dedicated, hard working talented team and the program deserves to do well (and it's healthy for Ableton to have some competition).
Yea, keeping eye on it..
"1) Capture, ie. retrospective recording of MIDI input." - was no1 in midi editing.

.. and you are right, its biased, or rather perspective from someone who is now primary use BW, but try to stay objective. (I did not mention since it is in BW forum, so it is obvious..)
Last edited by George Sigsally on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Sigsally
KVRist
62 posts since 5 Feb, 2018

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 am

Enrize wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 pm
M-Prod wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am
-I cannot rename clips in arrangement (only in the inspector panel)
-Although you can resize channels, you cannot make them smaller like in Ableton (I don't own 2.4 yet
1. You can.Hold Control+Shift and click on a clip/track
2. You can. Search for "Toggle large track height" button. You can also assign a shortcut to it.
U r sure about Cntr+shift? I have 2.4.2 and it is not working.. anyway this is pretty small detail

Return to “Bitwig”