Official support for: bitwig.com
M-Prod
KVRist
155 posts since 1 Jun, 2005 from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 am

Enrize wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 pm
1. You can.Hold Control+Shift and click on a clip/track
I meant to say clips in the arrangement view. The rest works fine (cmd-r on tracks and clips in the clip launcher works, I would suggest it works consistent in the arrangement view)
Enrize wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:50 pm
2. You can. Search for "Toggle large track height" button. You can also assign a shortcut to it.
I meant the width. You can make tracks and scenes wider in 2.4 but not (again, afaik) smaller like in Ableton.

M-Prod
KVRist
155 posts since 1 Jun, 2005 from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: Bitwig vs. Ableton

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:41 am

George Sigsally wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 am

Yea, keeping eye on it..
"1) Capture, ie. retrospective recording of MIDI input." - was no1 in midi editing.

.. and you are right, its biased, or rather perspective from someone who is now primary use BW, but try to stay objective. (I did not mention since it is in BW forum, so it is obvious..)
1) Sorry missed that.

I'm also primary BW nowadays, just hope lists like this help to make it even better. Thanks for the all the effort you're putting into this. Appreciated!

SmajjL
KVRist
36 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 am

Maby Bitwig's EULA is humbly better also? :) when it comes to what you may or may not do with the sounds/samples that comes along with the DAW if you are using multiple DAWs.
Not 100% sure though, only think so. :)
Been using Bitwig abit now and I am happy to say, no! regret! :)
Bitwig / REAPER / Maschine Mikro MK2 / rFactor 2 & Gevalia Coffee & .. ;)

pdxindy
KVRAF
14967 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm

One thing I really like in Bitwig. It is a really small thing, yet somehow it is pleasing... if I have Bitwig open and add a plugin or update a plugin, there is no need to quit Bitwig, it is immediately right there

SmajjL
KVRist

Post Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:56 am

Somewhat-semi OT.. :)
Ableton just won this guy, and I personally enjoy his videos & skills, including his *special' personality. :)
Think he chose Live because he had Lite version already and Max4Live could be useful for him and Live supports his new multicore i9 better than Reason, so he did this major jump ship because of it and even broke the EULA.. :)
And he might be interested in a Push.

I am considering going all in on Komplete Ultimate myself so his stuff will still be relevant to me and what he does on Live can hopefully must often be translated into Bitwig's ways. :)
Little sad he did not go with Bitwig but, he might think it is abit young, but I say yeah, but this Kid is growing up Fast and its Parents know what they are doing! ;) ;)
Anyway, congrats NI and Ableton.. *meow!* ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-bJE9b-fLM

JHernandez
KVRist
399 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 am

I wonder what his favorite animal is! Do you think he likes ponies?

So, how about that Bitwig . . .
-JH

SmajjL
KVRist

Post Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:39 am

Well, that! would be soOo off topic, yes-yes,yes…. . . . . . . :)
Bitwig - " I/We - see - you" ;) and who ever designed the thing deserves a hug or something. :)

robbmonn
KVRist
88 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm
One thing I really like in Bitwig. It is a really small thing, yet somehow it is pleasing... if I have Bitwig open and add a plugin or update a plugin, there is no need to quit Bitwig, it is immediately right there
in ableton preferences, in the files/folders tab there is a button to rescan your plugins. three clicks vs no clicks, but you def don't have to restart...

robbmonn
KVRist
88 posts since 1 Jul, 2018

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

but on the topic, I would very much like to switch from ableton (which I have been using since v1.5) to Bitwig for the MPE support, as this is becoming central to the work I am doing right now, but these things are holding me back:

1. ableton's looper is a treasure, especially how it allows for an insert and return in the feedback loop. i've worked with mobius (no insert, crashes after an hour or two) and augustus loop (unreliable and fiddly for the kind of work I do, but does have an insert loop) but neither really work. i've built my own loopers, too in max4live and it works well, but in bigwig there doesn't seem to be a solution.

2. max4live.

How does it feel to be without max4live and what is everyone doing for live looping (my application is pretty straightforward, I use three loopers on sends and make loops that go from 10 seconds to 90 seconds and I use the loop inserts to build in tape emulation on the loops.

pdxindy
KVRAF
14967 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 am

robbmonn wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm
How does it feel to be without max4live and what is everyone doing for live looping (my application is pretty straightforward, I use three loopers on sends and make loops that go from 10 seconds to 90 seconds and I use the loop inserts to build in tape emulation on the loops.
I was happy to be rid of M4L...

One, I have no interest to learn how to code stuff
Two, the library had too many unreliable devices.
Three, it was when I used M4L that I tended to have crashes in Live.
Four, it is resource intensive.

I had already stopped using M4L before I switched away from Live. I enjoyed Live more without it.

And yeah, Bitwig has no live looper. Got no suggestion for that... if I were going to do live looping I'd go hardware. But if you got something that works for ya, maybe stick to it!

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5279 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:36 am

Try GLoop VST as a looper, pretty good, may or may not work for you.

And routing is overall more flexible in BWS anyway... ;-)

I personally hated M4L, but I sold Suite & M4L with v8 already when BWS came out first so I don't know the current state.
For me M4L was a clunky way of soldering stuff onto an otherways rather rigid DAW to give the impression of it being flexible. Yes it can do great stuff, but so can reaktor and other tools that work in BWS.
YMMV of course...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

domtak
KVRer
8 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Everything about Bitwig wins aside from sluggish GUI and audio clicks galore on clip / event splits.

Return to “Bitwig”