YAMAHA MODX 6/7/8 Midrange units with Montage DNA

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope they do a module

I have just had a play of my MODX keys, not switched on so no 'played' sound. I say my Nr.6 is no louder than my Novation KS4 or my Yamaha Clavinova. This was not done under scientific conditions though. :D My solution to loud keys would be to turn the volume up or wear cans. :phones:
Fleer wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:34 am Congrats. Seems those keys are a bit noisy, or am I wrong ?

Thanks. Went for the MODX8 myself.

Excellent. I am so glad I went for this. Really wanted the Montage when it came out. This variant suits me and will keep me out of mischief for a long time.

How do you find your keybed?
Fleer wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 pm Thanks. Went for the MODX8 myself.

Yeah, it’s an incredible machine, like getting Montage at less than half price.
Love the keys, it’s a trusted Yamaha action, and their lightest at that, which makes it ideal for all those piano nuances, and also allows for some sweet synth and strings playing.
Don’t forget to download the Bösendorfer and other Motif/Montage goodies, like SampleRobot. They’re free.

I have been too busy exploring to even think about more content. Will have to have a look soon.
Fleer wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm Yeah, it’s an incredible machine, like getting Montage at less than half price.
Love the keys, it’s a trusted Yamaha action, and their lightest at that, which makes it ideal for all those piano nuances, and also allows for some sweet synth and strings playing.
Don’t forget to download the Bösendorfer and other Motif/Montage goodies, like SampleRobot. They’re free.

Returned the MODX8 after all. Still too hefty and didn’t like the ongoing rumors about its noisy keys.
Got a MODX6 instead. Much lighter.

I have a MODX6 too. Great machine. I was afraid there would be sonic overlapping since I also have a Kronos. Glad to report that isn't the case :-)

Interesting point I found on the MODX (6 or 7) keys in another forum and witnessed on my own MODX6. Each A-note key is a tiny bit higher than the other keys, probably due to the keybed construction. Nothing to worry about, as it’s ever so little, and the other keyboards I have show a similar yet more erratic difference in key height.

Interesting analysis of MODX’ internals:
“The MODX has only one SWP70 tone generator integrated circuit (IC). The Master SWP70 performs both AWM2 and FM-X synthesis. The MODX printed circuit board (PCB) has space and connections for a second SWP70 (in Slave mode), but the real estate is unpopulated (“No Mount”). Yamaha have planned ahead for a future model. They did the same thing with the MOX, BTW, leaving space and connections that were filled in the MOXF.
The extra computational capacity within a single SWP70 is surprising! The Master SWP70 provides 128 channels of AWM2 polyphony and 64 channels of FM-X polyphony. In order to pull off this trick, Yamaha utilize a second dedicated DSP RAM channel and SDRAM. Montage, on the other hand, utilizes only one DSP RAM channel on each SWP70.
Thus, the SWP70 can expand in two different dimensions:
* DSP RAM (two dedicated channels max) with a corresponding boost in DSP computation, and
* Wave RAM (two dedicated channels max) with an as-yet unexploited boost in AWM2 synthesis.
MODX illustrates the first case while Montage has an unpopulated position and connections for a second WAVE working memory channel. Your guess is as good as mine as to how Yamaha will expand and exploit these channels in future products.
SWP70 is in early childhood and Yamaha have left room to grow in both the MODX and Montage. In addition to unpopulated PCB sites, Yamaha can build out by using higher capacity NAND flash devices for waveform memory.”
(http://sandsoftwaresound.net 11/6/19)

Watchful wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm On the Montage (which obviously isn't a brand-new MODX), there are a number of performances with "AF" embedded in the names. I went through a number of these yesterday, and the "ASSIGN 1" and "ASSIGN 2" buttons (also present on the MODX) don't always do much in them. Sometimes, yes, there's a definite change in the overall sound, but just as often (if not more), there's very little discernible change if any.
The functions you assign can vary, and how noticeable they are depends on your playing in such a way as to hear the result. If you're not hearing a difference, it just may not be a difference relevant to what you played. For example, on orchestral instruments (individual strings, winds, etc.), it may change between monophonic (for more authentic solo instrument emulation) and polyphonic (for creating an ensemble). But if you tested it just by repeating a single note, you wouldn't notice that change, and you would think the button wasn't doing anything.

I did read on the Montage forum that "AF" performances may relate to which offset waveforms are used, and that playing legato will use the offsets. Hence, you may be exactly right that I didn't detect the subtle distinction.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”