Will VST3 be enforced and make my abandonware useless?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 pm This is what SB is doing.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4906.html
From the link^^^^ - "...
One more thing we would like to point out at this stage: with the release of the VST 3.6.11, the SDK for VST 2 has officially been discontinued...."

So, I guess the SDK for vst2 is done, no longer available. That doesn't mean that all vst2's will disappear. I would like to see all developers go to vst3. I see only positive things coming from it.

felis wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:15 pmSo, I guess the SDK for vst2 is done, no longer available.
In some other thread the devs said it is not available anymore for years. But it was kind of part of the vst3 IIRC!? Anyways as long as daw devs continue to support vst2 (and I guess all of the major ones got their license agreement signed right in time) there's no reason to worry about.

I didn't know they cut off the VST2 sdk. That's scary.

Even if you're using Cubase and cubase drops support for VST2 plugins, you could always run VST3 version of patchworks, plogue bidule or some other plugin wrapper to run it inside Cubase. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

VST2 SDK isn't publicly available anymore. All developers who signed an agreements with Steinberg before 1st October have right to develop new VST2 plugins, update existing plugins, create new DAWs that are able to load VST2 plugins etc. Nothing is changing. New agreements cannot be signed, so developers who didn't sign them can sign an agreement for VST3 SDK only. What's a problem? New developers can publish VST3 plugins only.

thanks for the clarification
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I wonder what is the situation if you develop with a framework like JUCE.

OK, i maybe should have Googled before posting. :D https://forum.juce.com/t/the-removal-of ... -sdk/29994

TBH, as an end user, i don't care at all. I rarely had issues with the VST3 version of plugins. Novation V-Station was the buggiest, i believe, but then, the VST2 is buggy as well.

who cares.
even when vst10 and daws go to 512bit OS's
i'll still be using winxp, EXT2 and 32bit vst's and effects
because they get the job done, if it aint broke....... :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:14 am who cares.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :tu:

That's the true spirit, putting the music before the technology hype!

But is it even still possible to (re)install WinXP? I need to do it for my games that MS ruined with 'security updates'. :(

Can it still be activated?

And E-XT 2? To me that's already missing important features! (especially the preset morphing/breeding feature) :(

lucky for me, i own a corporate copy of xp from when i worked for the county.
no activation required and it never b itches to me about updates. :party:
preset morphing? i'm not a preset junkie so no loss to me.
yeah, i'm quite happy letting new synths and whatever new wiz bang junk
pass me by. i found all the technology i'll ever need to do the kind of music i like in the 32bit realm... small, fast, and simple. energyXT2.... a 1 megabyte DAW that loads in a split second in a compact OS. love it.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:14 am who cares.
layzer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:07 am lucky for me, i own a corporate copy of xp from when i worked for the county.
no activation required and it never b itches to me about updates. :party:
preset morphing? i'm not a preset junkie so no loss to me.
yeah, i'm quite happy letting new synths and whatever new wiz bang junk
pass me by. i found all the technology i'll ever need to do the kind of music i like in the 32bit realm... small, fast, and simple. energyXT2.... a 1 megabyte DAW that loads in a split second in a compact OS. love it.
:tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

imho, the problem is more related to your hardware, does your soundcard is still supported by WinXP ?

No DAW developer could get away with a VST3 only offering as long as NI products are still on VST2.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

mumpcake wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:32 pm No DAW developer could get away with a VST3 only offering as long as NI products are still on VST2.
Good point, hehe

mumpcake wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:32 pm No DAW developer could get away with a VST3 only offering as long as NI products are still on VST2.
NI are far too dependent on VST2, they should have realised long ago they could box themselves into a corner over this.

The compatibility solution is Metaplugin by DDMF, an awesome must buy utility
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”