New Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am You can "legally" obtain macOS if you have a Mac. And you can "legally" install it on any computer you have. I think that was already established. Otherwise, why would Apple "swallow" all the "Hackintosh" sites without taking legal actions?
I don't know how the smaller firms get away with it (maybe they are that far under the radar?) but if someone our size did it, I've no doubt in the slightest what would happen.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/2 ... star_plea/

Kaine wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am You can "legally" obtain macOS if you have a Mac. And you can "legally" install it on any computer you have. I think that was already established. Otherwise, why would Apple "swallow" all the "Hackintosh" sites without taking legal actions?
I don't know how the smaller firms get away with it (maybe they are that far under the radar?) but if someone our size did it, I've no doubt in the slightest what would happen.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/2 ... star_plea/
Thanks. I didn't knew about that lawsuit.

Anyway, maybe people get along because there are only sites that give instructions, and noone is actually "selling" Apple clones. :shrug: Anyone who wants a "Hackintosh" has to assemble one from scratch.

What's funny is how Apple manages to persuade the judges that they are NOT a monopoly. For the marketing, Windows is not a competitor, but for legal purposes, Windows IS a competitor. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Cinebient wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm
Apple will focus on iOS more and more of course.
But if they want it to really happen they could start with Logic Pro X for iOS f.e.
Can't wait for MainStage on iOS.

Additional 1.5 TB hard drive space = 1.500 € in the new MacBook Air. Completely nuts!

festeringheap wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:07 am
Cinebient wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm
Apple will focus on iOS more and more of course.
But if they want it to really happen they could start with Logic Pro X for iOS f.e.
Can't wait for MainStage on iOS.
I want Logic on the new iPads....and i´m sold.
But macs are just a side effect for them anyway so who knows if they still care about their pro apps in the future (maybe more how they port them to the multi-touch UI).
They even didn´t a side note that they offer new GPU for the macbook pro.
I mean i would hate it really but i also think iPads will replace the macbooks if i want that or not.
However, all of the products are nice but the prices are beyond good and evil.

Installing an Hackintosh isn't anything easy or practical. Not even if you are highly famililar with the related software. For that reason Apple does not need to be concerned with those Hackintosh websites unless they distribute a ready-to-install modified dvd.
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:57 am Installing an Hackintosh isn't anything easy or practical. Not even if you are highly famililar with the related software. For that reason Apple does not need to be concerned with those Hackintosh websites unless they distribute a ready-to-install modified dvd.
Yes, I'm aware. And I agree that's probably because of that that Apple doesn't care. Their target customer usually doesn't have the knowledge to even think about it, anyway :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 pm What's funny is how Apple manages to persuade the judges that they are NOT a monopoly. For the marketing, Windows is not a competitor, but for legal purposes, Windows IS a competitor. :hihi:
Yeah, but remember Apple is the scrappy underdog in all this. Tiny as they are...

Kaine wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 am
fmr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 pm What's funny is how Apple manages to persuade the judges that they are NOT a monopoly. For the marketing, Windows is not a competitor, but for legal purposes, Windows IS a competitor. :hihi:
Yeah, but remember Apple is the scrappy underdog in all this. Tiny as they are...
You're joking, right? :lol:
Last edited by fmr on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:03 pm You're joking, right? :lol:
:neutral:

:wink:

Honestly I'm buying a new Mac Mini just so I don't have to piss about with Hackingtosh. Life is too short.

tehlord wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm Honestly I'm buying a new Mac Mini just so I don't have to piss about with Hackingtosh. Life is too short.
Me too probably, unless I go Macbook Pro

I’m still waiting for a machine that isn’t a thermal throttling scenario (or worse, a heat-death suicide machine when used heavily). I’ve been waiting for YEARS for a machine with non-laptop-styled components. If the next pro comes out and isn’t in my price range (and I suspect it won’t be), I guess I’ll have to just buy SOMETHING and move the hell on.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I had a serious problem with the fan on my 2011 mini-server. It became unuseable for audio work. This was an i7, quad. The fan would engage with iTunes playing mp3s, ffs.

Another reason I would pass on the new mini is lack of dedicated GPU card. I play Civ VI, and it wouldn't run on these. In fact, Civ VI is the only app that will engage thefan on my iMac. I may stop playing it to preserve the computer.

Which is now about 4 days away from Applecare expiring.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:50 pm I had a serious problem with the fan on my 2011 mini-server. It became unuseable for audio work. This was an i7, quad. The fan would engage with iTunes playing mp3s, ffs.

Another reason I would pass on the new mini is lack of dedicated GPU card. I play Civ VI, and it wouldn't run on these. In fact, Civ VI is the only app that will engage thefan on my iMac. I may stop playing it to preserve the computer.

Which is now about 4 days away from Applecare expiring.
Those integrated GPU's are not that bad nowadays and Civ VI may run on the new Mac mini.
That's not a reason to buy one though, as it may also run on a PC with half price tag.
~stratum~

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”