best roland D-50 VST alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:11 pm
Cinebient wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:36 pm Funny that the best thing here is a 5 dollar iPad app called Digital-1 (inspired but not an exact emulation or so....it´s actually better).
VST? Not sure.
Actually, no. The best thing here (by a huge margin) is the Roland Cloud version. Actually, it's probably BETTER than the original :hihi:
Yeah I guess you can't get better than Roland's if you want absolute 1:1 accuracy but in a more modern and accessible format. However as an alternative and particularly without having to buy into the whole Roland cloud, Digital-1 is pretty damn good, better by far than any of the sample based attempts at a D50 ish instrument.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:30 pm
fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:11 pm
Cinebient wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:36 pm Funny that the best thing here is a 5 dollar iPad app called Digital-1 (inspired but not an exact emulation or so....it´s actually better).
VST? Not sure.
Actually, no. The best thing here (by a huge margin) is the Roland Cloud version. Actually, it's probably BETTER than the original :hihi:
Yeah I guess you can't get better than Roland's if you want absolute 1:1 accuracy but in a more modern and accessible format. However as an alternative and particularly without having to buy into the whole Roland cloud, Digital-1 is pretty damn good, better by far than any of the sample based attempts at a D50 ish instrument.
Well, Cinebient didn't say it's the best "alternative", he said it's "the best thing". Anyway, something that only runs on iPad can only be an alternative for someone that HAS an iPad.

It's like someone asking which tires are the best for their car, and someone else comes telling they have the best bycicle tires in the world :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

I'm the only one to think the Roland Cloud version sounds crappy and ugly?

Not many things that run on every platform, sure an iOS plugin is dependent on someone having an iPad, but the OP doesn't specify platforms so all suggestions are valid (leaving aside nitpicks over wording), this is certainly the closest I've come across other than the thing itself or Roland remake. Up till then I would have said the Pinknoise library but this is on another level.

Turello wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm I'm the only one to think the Roland Cloud version sounds crappy and ugly?
I've known some people say the same about the original ;)

D-50 samples are copyrighted by Roland. Therefore anything that's not Roland can't legally use the D-50 PCM, it's as simple as that. The resonnant LPF is only active on digital oscillators, not on PCMs.
So the whole D50 is a bit like a primitive VA. This, and the 8bit PCM give it it's charm, and it's identity. It's a wonderfull synth, but making 4 'partials' synths can be accomplished by a lot of synths, wich will probably sound very different from the D-50.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm Not many things that run on every platform, sure an iOS plugin is dependent on someone having an iPad, but the OP doesn't specify platforms so all suggestions are valid (leaving aside nitpicks over wording)
The OP mentioned Roland Cloud, which only runs on macOS and Windows :shrug:

So, it's pretty safe to assume that he is running either a Mac or a PC, and certainly NOT an iPad. Therefore, mentioning iPad is simply advertising. I am simply counter-advertising :shrug:
Last edited by fmr on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm
Turello wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm I'm the only one to think the Roland Cloud version sounds crappy and ugly?
I've known some people say the same about the original ;)
Yes, I think we can say the Roland Cloud D-50 sounds about as "crappy and ugly" as the original :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

They have the mini keyboard version now as well. What's it called? The D-26.5 or something.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm Not many things that run on every platform, sure an iOS plugin is dependent on someone having an iPad, but the OP doesn't specify platforms so all suggestions are valid (leaving aside nitpicks over wording)

So, it's pretty safe to assume that he is running either a Mac or a PC, and certainly NOT an iPad. Therefore, mentioning iPad is simply advertising. I am simply counter-advertising :shrug:
Well, a mac version might come....maybe.
For me they all are just software on computers anyway.

Wasn't Ana 1 somewhat similar? It also had the separate attack oscillator and normal oscillators...

anyone looking for that distinctive 'LA' sound should have a listen to the two soundpacks Francis Preve has done for Xfer Serum (toolkit 1 and 2 - available off Xfer's site) - he's got quite a few 'LA' patches in there (using the noise/sample osc for the PCM component).

Not slavish recreations of D50 sounds but interesting modern takes on what LA can do

https://www.francispreve.com/blog/2017/ ... -synthesis

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Nonsense. Whatever one may 'assume' when people ask for alternative options it doesn't hurt to consider what is available without being constrained by trying to second guess what the OP has or doesn't has - there's no reason why the thread can't include discussion of all options available.

Wavestation..M1..they both have filters now and does sound quite 80's ish with samples ranging from cheesy to great..

yul wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:54 pm Wavestation..M1..they both have filters now and does sound quite 80's ish with samples ranging from cheesy to great..
is this not available as a VST to buy anymore?

edit found it :party:
Last edited by rubez on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”