does NECTAR 3 make other tools obsolete? (fabfilter etc.?)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i just watched a video about nectar 3 and wow, it seems VERY nice especially for vocals. but how nice are the de-esser, gate etc.? sure fabfilter plugins are more versatile i guess, nectar 3 is more or less especially for vocals. but do you think nectar 3 is a nice package where you dont really need any other plugin anymore like comp, gate, deesser etc? especially the harmony correction seems great!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

You answered the question within your original post when you said "it's not as flexible as [other tools.]"

It does not make 'other tools obsolete' unless it can do every single thing that they can do with equal appropriateness for all situations. Even then, some people prefer one algorithm's sound to another.

Please, kind forum members, if you can, do not turn this into 20 pages of bickering.

Nectar 3 worked great for me on a track I just finishd (and I’m a big fan of Izotope in general; Ozone goes on everything). I used N3 in place of Fabfilter Pro-C 2 and Waves Tune, among others (although they're both terrific too, and I’m 100% sure I'll continue to use them as well).

However, although Nectar 3’s reverb seemed decent enough, I ended up not using it and substituting Valhalla Vintage Verb instead. I’ll keep experimenting with Nectar 3’s some more.

I’m having trouble seeing what has to offer me, to be honest. I bought Nectar 2 mostly for its harmony tools, but they seem to have thrown in the towel and bundled Melodyne instead. I already own Melodyne 4, so that doesn’t offer me anything. I also already have the Ozone/Neutron advanced bundle and RX7 Advanced, which seems to cover the rest of what Nectar offers. I guess it might include some additional intelligent assistant modes, more finely tuned for vocal correction. I’m not convinced that is worth the $149 it would cost me to upgrade though. I’d be happy to be persuaded, but so far I’m just not seeing it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 pm I’m having trouble seeing what has to offer me, to be honest. I bought Nectar 2 mostly for its harmony tools, but they seem to have thrown in the towel and bundled Melodyne instead. I already own Melodyne 4, so that doesn’t offer me anything. I also already have the Ozone/Neutron advanced bundle and RX7 Advanced, which seems to cover the rest of what Nectar offers. I guess it might include some additional intelligent assistant modes, more finely tuned for vocal correction. I’m not convinced that is worth the $149 it would cost me to upgrade though. I’d be happy to be persuaded, but so far I’m just not seeing it.
Interesting, I was just going to ask about that. I also own Ozone8/Neutron2 and RX (and some nice delay and reverb plugins etc) and I wonder what unique features Nectar is offering that I don´t already have.

I´m especially interested in the mixing assistance stuff that seems to be the unique selling features from Izotope compared to other companies at the moment.

For example, the Nectar 3 Relay functionality seems to be the same thing, with just another name, as the Mix Tap and Unmasking functionality in Neutron 2, am I right?

Anyone care to elaborate on this, I´d be thankful.

Wait until Nectar 3 Advanced comes out ;)

I thought Nectar 3's new unmasking tool isn't in Neutron 2? The position of the dynamic EQ bands will intelligently "follow" the frequencies and automatically prevent masking in a continuous way, like Trackspacer but with fewer EQ bands and working with multiple tracks instead of just one?

But it's only designed to work well on vocals?...

IDK I already have excellent tools for getting my vocals to cut through the mix, as well as Melodyne and Rx 7. The automatic dynamic unmasking feature is what I wish Neutron 2 had but apparently not. It's bizarre that Neutron doesn't have it but I guess that getting it to sound good with many different types of instruments and sounds is a harder problem than it might seem. Though maybe MAutoDynamics and MSpectralDynamics can do it? So much to demo before BF... if Neutron Standard had good AI dynamic unmasking comparable to Trackspacer I'd probably get it, it's extremely counterintuitive that they market AI mixing without that sort of feature. Maybe that will be Neutron 3?...

hebex wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:56 pm I also own Ozone8/Neutron2 and RX (and some nice delay and reverb plugins etc) and I wonder what unique features Nectar is offering that I don´t already have.

I´m especially interested in the mixing assistance stuff that seems to be the unique selling features from Izotope compared to other companies at the moment.

For example, the Nectar 3 Relay functionality seems to be the same thing, with just another name, as the Mix Tap and Unmasking functionality in Neutron 2, am I right?

Anyone care to elaborate on this, I´d be thankful.
Any insights on this guys?

Ou_Tis wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 am I thought Nectar 3's new unmasking tool isn't in Neutron 2? The position of the dynamic EQ bands will intelligently "follow" the frequencies and automatically prevent masking in a continuous way, like Trackspacer but with fewer EQ bands and working with multiple tracks instead of just one?

But it's only designed to work well on vocals?...

IDK I already have excellent tools for getting my vocals to cut through the mix, as well as Melodyne and Rx 7. The automatic dynamic unmasking feature is what I wish Neutron 2 had but apparently not. It's bizarre that Neutron doesn't have it but I guess that getting it to sound good with many different types of instruments and sounds is a harder problem than it might seem. Though maybe MAutoDynamics and MSpectralDynamics can do it? So much to demo before BF... if Neutron Standard had good AI dynamic unmasking comparable to Trackspacer I'd probably get it, it's extremely counterintuitive that they market AI mixing without that sort of feature. Maybe that will be Neutron 3?...
I think Neutron 2's unmasking features are dynamic, but manually set up. Nectar 3's are set up automatically, but I don't think they then function dynamically once set up. They seem to be a single set of EQ settings put in place on the other tracks, which are then static.

I have both, and while I love the ease of use with Nectar, the dynamic EQ settings in Neutron 2 sound better to me. (I'm unmasking dialogue over backing music.)

Other specific, unique (within iZotope plugins) things Nectar 3 has: "follow EQ", where an EQ node seems to find the nearest harmonic and follows it up and down the spectrum, and auto-leveling input in real time.

I've got Nectar 3 and I use it a lot with voice over (I work with TV post production).
trying to use tune, I perfer soundtoys. The reverb of Nectar 3 seems not too good for me.
The "follow EQ" mode i liked in demo, mostly useless for me: It helped me only ones with dialogue. And now i think it maybe useful with musical or vocal tracks. Also I do not like 60% of automatic suggestions and mostly I set the settings up myself by hands.

Anyway, having also PPS2 with Netron2 Advanced, I use Nectar 3 a lot because of very fast and simple setting up VO and ADR, even for some voice effects.

Return to “Effects”