Please, let's collect granular instruments (and such)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I want to test every granular instrument out there :lol:
It doesn't matter if mac or win but it should be still available and 64-bit .
Max/MSP or Reaktor patches are not allowed :hihi:
No DAW-Native stuff please.
And no instruments with the glimpse of granular synthesis (e.g. Absynth)

So I start the list with everything I'm aware of.

TIA

Loomer - Cumulus
hvoyaaudio - Ribs
accSone - crusher-X
Sound Guru - The Mangle
New Sonic Arts - Granite
Steinberg - Padshop Pro
Madrona Labs - Kaivo

In between:
AudioMulch (I know a DAW but I do not want to open to much threads)
Xenakios - Hourglass (like above)
Xenakios - PaulXStretch
Last edited by Autobot on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 am And no instruments with the glimpse of granular synthesis (e.g. Absynth)
No idea what this means, sorry, but its not great to try and help only to get 'no, that doesnt fit my cherrypicked definition', had far too much of that in the past.

Meanwhile, Symptohm.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 am And no instruments with the glimpse of granular synthesis (e.g. Absynth)
So.. Falcon and Avenger don't count then?

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am
No idea what this means, sorry, but its not great to try and help only to get 'no, that doesnt fit my cherrypicked definition', had far too much of that in the past.

Meanwhile, Symptohm.
Thanks. No cherrypicking at all I'm just asking for full granular synthesizer. Compare e.g. Padshop or The Mangle to Absynth and you will get the impression what's the difference.
rabbit in a hole

Examigan wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am
So.. Falcon and Avenger don't count then?
Maybe it's my english that got you two confused :oops: I do not know how deep the granular engine goes in the two mentioned. Maybe they fit ... ?
rabbit in a hole

Soundmorph Dust

You need to define what is a "taste" vs. a serving, a side dish, or a buffet. How much is Halion?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Audio Damage - Quanta
Glitchmachines - Palindrome
Glitchmachines - Polygon

Personally I would include hybrid synths like Avenger, Falcon, Halion etc. because if someone is looking for granular those are good at granular! Could just put them under a separate hybrid-synth category or something?

The line between synth and effect blurs, Audio Damage and Glitchmachines (among others) have good granular effects.

Michael L wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am You need to define what is a "taste" vs. a serving, a side dish, or a buffet. How much is Halion?
I do not know what you mean by taste. I'm talking about tech specs. Just like it's not a full FM-Synth because you have a FM-Modulation knob on your average synth ...
rabbit in a hole

Ranoka wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 am Audio Damage - Quanta
Glitchmachines - Palindrome
Glitchmachines - Polygon

Personally I would include hybrid synths like Avenger, Falcon, Halion etc. because if someone is looking for granular those are good at granular! Could just put them under a separate hybrid-synth category or something?

The line between synth and effect blurs, Audio Damage and Glitchmachines (among others) have good granular effects.
Thanks forgot about Quanta did not know the other one I will check it out.
And yeah the line is blurrrrrry ... :ud:

To make it clear: It doesn't matter if those synths are hybrid it just matter how 'deep/complex/functional –call it what you want' the granular engine is.
rabbit in a hole

2c audio kaleidoscope
Dmitry sches Diversion
Omnisphere 2.5
Polygas
SampleSumo SaltyGrain

Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

Meanwhile, Symptohm.
Thanks. No cherrypicking at all I'm just asking for full granular synthesizer. Compare e.g. Padshop or The Mangle to Absynth and you will get the impression what's the difference.
Sorry,but whatever impression you think you've second-guessed, you're probably incorrect, you really do need to make a clear definition. Almost nothing you've mentioned is a 'full' granular synthesiser, they almost all include it within what's basically a subtractive synth wrapper.

Now you're saying its up to some 'depth' of granular synthesis complexity... to be honest, that helps just as little.

Anyway, what Im saying is you need to provide a concrete distinction, not 'X is but Y isnt'.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 am [...] Almost nothing you've mentioned is a 'full' granular synthesiser, they almost all include it within what's basically a subtractive synth wrapper [...]
Do not want to argue just interest in your knowledge. So what is a full granular synthesizer for you?
For me it's the fact that a sample get granulated and I can control a good amount of the way it' gets granulized. Density, Speed, Pitch, distribution, sample point, loop, etc.

And of course a envelope or filter are not necessary but welcome ... so yeah subtractive :oops:
rabbit in a hole

oops

Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 am [...] Almost nothing you've mentioned is a 'full' granular synthesiser, they almost all include it within what's basically a subtractive synth wrapper [...]
Do not want to argue just interest in your knowledge. So what is a full granular synthesizer for you?
For me it's the fact that a sample get granulated and I can control a good amount of the way it' gets granulized. Density, Speed, Pitch, distribution, sample point, loop, etc.

And of course a envelope or filter are not necessary but welcome ... so yeah subtractive :oops:
CrusherX is the closest on your list, and then, Im afraid, its all those tools used to build the MAX/csound/supercollider stuff you're not interested in. What we tend to get in VST-land is granular synthesis oscillators, not granular synthesisers, and there's a lot more to the latter (for example, consider if each grain had its own effects chain and how you can deal with clusters of grains) .

http://granularsynthesis.com/software.php

Granular synthesis doesnt actually have a prerequisite of using a sample by the way; that's the instant-gratification implementation we most commonly see, but the grain source can be a simple single-cycle wavetable.

If you're interested, definitely have a read of a copy of Curtis Roads' Microsounds.

Return to “Instruments”