Please, let's collect granular instruments (and such)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DiscoDSP Bliss is able to do granular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdvJgX0XG0
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:09 pm
Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 am [...] Almost nothing you've mentioned is a 'full' granular synthesiser, they almost all include it within what's basically a subtractive synth wrapper [...]
Do not want to argue just interest in your knowledge. So what is a full granular synthesizer for you?
For me it's the fact that a sample get granulated and I can control a good amount of the way it' gets granulized. Density, Speed, Pitch, distribution, sample point, loop, etc.

And of course a envelope or filter are not necessary but welcome ... so yeah subtractive :oops:
CrusherX is the closest on your list, and then, Im afraid, its all those tools used to build the MAX/csound/supercollider stuff you're not interested in. What we tend to get in VST-land is granular synthesis oscillators, not granular synthesisers, and there's a lot more to the latter (for example, consider if each grain had its own effects chain and how you can deal with clusters of grains) .

http://granularsynthesis.com/software.php

Granular synthesis doesnt actually have a prerequisite of using a sample by the way; that's the instant-gratification implementation we most commonly see, but the grain source can be a simple single-cycle wavetable.

If you're interested, definitely have a read of a copy of Curtis Roads' Microsounds.
Ahh okay. Thats where you coming from :hug:

I exclude the programming stuff because it needs programming or? I can code html/xml but always was afraid of those environments. I rather wanted a "easy" solution. Or is there some kind of presets/ready-to-use-objects?
rabbit in a hole

Alchemy has always been my favorite for granular. Still available on the Mac but I don't know if it's locked to Logic or not since I don't own a Mac. Still works just fine on Windows here but no longer available for purchase.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:23 pm I exclude the programming stuff because it needs programming or? I can code html/xml but always was afraid of those environments. I rather wanted a "easy" solution. Or is there some kind of presets/ready-to-use-objects?
Not really, I think Crusher-X might be your best bet. Have a look at the link I gave you, though, its a pretty decent list there.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm
Autobot wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:23 pm I exclude the programming stuff because it needs programming or? I can code html/xml but always was afraid of those environments. I rather wanted a "easy" solution. Or is there some kind of presets/ready-to-use-objects?
Not really, I think Crusher-X might be your best bet. Have a look at the link I gave you, though, its a pretty decent list there.
Super. Thank you very much.
rabbit in a hole

The confusion comes from 95% of granular on the market are grain filters. There are very few that produce grains at the oscillator level... only a couple I can think of. Most of it is taking a sound source and breaking it up into grain - a grain filter. If you want to put limitations on your sound source, like a sample or a non grain oscillator... that's different.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 pm The confusion comes from 95% of granular on the market are grain filters. There are very few that produce grains at the oscillator level... only a couple I can think of. Most of it is taking a sound source and breaking it up into grain - a grain filter. If you want to put limitations on your sound source, like a sample or a non grain oscillator... that's different.
Allright. Can you name some apps which can "produce grains at the oscillator level" ? TIA
rabbit in a hole

@autobot, granular got started with scoundrel and then took off with the max msp crowd. they were still playing with grain filters at that time though. the grain oscillators are a newer phenomena that came with more powerful cpus. i believe it's called "pulsar" synthesis. there used to be one called nuklear, i don't know if it's still on the market. i believe the tone2 one is pulsar (would have to look it up), and i think there is a freeware one floating around.

i stick to grain filters myself fyi.

also, i think that wave table synthesizer that waves has might actually produce with grain oscillator synthesis.

Granulizer by Inertia Sound System is great and pretty unique.

https://www.inertiasoundsystems.com/sto ... ranulizer/

pilotredsun wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 am TubeOhm Pure-Grain https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pure_d ... by_tubeohm
Off topic here, but I wonder if TubeOhm will produce 64-bit versions of their synths, as I thought there was a 64-bit version of SynthEdit now... but could be wrong. :?

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:13 pm @autobot, granular got started with scoundrel and then took off with the max msp crowd. they were still playing with grain filters at that time though. the grain oscillators are a newer phenomena that came with more powerful cpus. i believe it's called "pulsar" synthesis. there used to be one called nuklear, i don't know if it's still on the market. i believe the tone2 one is pulsar (would have to look it up), and i think there is a freeware one floating around.
Granular synthesis started with the work of Curtis Roads.
I have no idea what you mean with grain filters. There are no filters involved in granular synthesis. The original idea is that there is a perceptional minimal recognizable sound grain. Make a fade in and out as short as possible on a sine wave which would still have its pitch...
Never heard about scoundrel, there seems to be a rock band with that name, but no granular sounds from them... Could you elaborate?

Granulab
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”