Acustica Taupe - Hype Or The Real Deal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a while, you get real jaded. Especially when you read over the top claims. The sales copy for this tape emulation is about the most over the top yet.

So does anybody know anything about this? It's not even released yet. All you can do is preorder it.

Personally, I don't know anything about the company. Never even heard of them before today. Are they considered one of the elite, like a U-he or Native Instruments or (pick your top company whoever) or are they some fly by night?

On paper, this thing looks awesome. But a lot of things look awesome on paper. I've yet to buy a tape emulation yet that has blown me away (J37, Abbey Road, Kramer Tape)

Is this truly special or just more sales copy?

What are your thoughts from what you've heard, little as that probably is right now?

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They are considered top tier, with UAD.
I have not tried this, but I plan to, and probably buy it. I had heard in the past that Acustica had the best tape emulations but this is a brand new 2018 plugin. My expectations are high. Give the trial a shot.

Avoid, especially if you are on macOS. If you want more details, PM me. Last time I got into this in the forum Acustica doxed me. :phones:

I've not had recent experience with any Acoustica stuff, last time I tried anything it was so CPU intensive I removed it (Acoustica Pink_CM). I first came across them years ago with their Nebula engine.. interesting convolution tech but CPU intensive... sound great though.

Acustica have been around for something like a decade and are a big deal because of their 'non-static' convolution tech, which can capture much more than the simple approach to convolution found in reverbs and the like. Unlike standard convolution, it can capture 'non-linear' behaviour. It essentially allows you to 'sample' the behaviour of gear much more accurately. Think of their Nebula system as a platform for sampling gear, much like Kontakt is a platform for sampling sound. Just like soundware for Kontakt, there are a lot of third parties offering 'sampled gear' for Nebula. Their products are mostly very highly regarded as sounding close to the original, but just like in Kontakt, the quality of the sampling affects the quality of the end product.

But always, always expect high CPU.
Last edited by cron on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm Avoid, especially if you are on macOS. If you want more details, PM me. Last time I got into this in the forum Acustica doxed me. :phones:
PM sent

wagtunes wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm
plexuss wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm Avoid, especially if you are on macOS. If you want more details, PM me. Last time I got into this in the forum Acustica doxed me. :phones:
PM sent
No way! Mate, that's appalling.

Okay, folks. For those who say CPU intensive, more so than something like Diva or (pick you CPU intensive VST of choice) because I have some supposedly high CPU plugs and don't have any problems running them. Granted, I'm not running 50 instances of Omnisphere or Diva but I figure with something like a tape emulation, I'm only putting it on the mix buss so how bad can one instance be?

I am running an I7 with 16 GIG RAM and also have an SSD drive. A project with 40 to 50 tracks, many of them synths that take up some CPU, not to mention a number of FX inserts, usually only runs about 70% CPU consumption.

cron wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm
PM sent
No way! Mate, that's appalling.
Why? Because I sent the guy (someone I've known here for a while) asking him some questions? What? I'm not allowed to ask questions?

What kind of world am I living in where asking questions is appalling?

I mean Acustica's behaviour. I didn't realise that including you in the quote would make it appear to be about you, as yes, replies here are usually aimed at the last person in the quote chain. Apologies for the confusion.

cron wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm I mean Acustica's behaviour. I didn't think that including you in the quote would make it appear to be about you. Apologies.
No problem. Anyway, just got the MAC explanation. Sounds pretty crappy if that's how it behaves. If same is true for PC, then it's unusable. Guess I'll ultimately have to download the demo.

I'm not sure if they still carry it, but Computer Music used to have Nebula CM included on their disc every month. It's old no doubt, but may be worth a look if you want to check out the tech applied to a few different kinds of devices. Double check they still carry it though.

Return to “Effects”