Delays

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are you go to delays? And why?

I deleted the few I had and just been using Abletons Echo and Valhalla Ubermod for the last few months. Awaiting the Valhalla Delay and that's it for me. Why?... ubermod trails of in such a nice way, uses barely any cpu and automates really well, can get amazing delay sounds and the feedback is great. Abletons Echo is really flexible and sounds really good. I like using less tools and haven't got a new delay for ages knowing the Valhalla Delay is on the way.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colour Copy, because it sounds gorgeous with its modulation, saturation, ducking etc.

BYOME because of general flexibility

Echobode for its smearing, EQ, modulation and freq shifting

Permut8 for weird and glitchy

I usually reach for a rather simple, straightforward (= few controls) delay, with a coloured tone (either some kind of saturation or pitchshifting).
I also have a few delays and some are not so simple, but I usually reach for simple tools with a great tone first (my projects usually don't have room for complex delays to breathe, anyway). Most of the time I need delays to sit well in the mix, not to add a feature to the song (at most, I may go for a delay going into self oscillation by cranking up the feedback), so a preference toward simple tools is a natural consequence.

The go-to choice is based on the mood of the day and the project, so I don't feel like writing down any name (I have a good selection of the usual suspects, though)...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I am looking at Blue Cat's Late Replies - the most powerful/flexible delay I have come across - multiple taps that can each host vsts and onboard fx, plus two feedback chains taht can also host vst's and onboard fx

But it is not a tape delay or modeled on any sort of vintage sound - but you could host a different tape style or saturation vst effect on each tap if you wanted

AD Dubstation & Sandman Pro get a lot of use here. They just sound good to me. I also use Live's Echo ... and picked up D16 Tekturon recently, but haven't got into it yet.

I have a Vesta Dig-410 hardware unit that I use on my hardware synths and an Aria Digital Delay pedal for guitar.

Permut8

Modnetic

Recently, I got the Dynachord IR from Past to Future Reverbs. They are not my “go to” but they are pretty amazing.

Replika XT is my favorite by far.

Sandman Pro and a few others are fun too.

PSP Echo on sends and inserts
PSP 608 for weirdness
PSP 85 for weird, lush
Valhalla Ubermod more so for chorus and flanging but also as a delay
The delays that are built in with VSTi
Ableton Live built in
Reaper built in
Reaktor fx
I’m quite set happy with this setup, doubt i’ll buy another delay
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I own many of the feature rich delay plugins, but I primarily use the following:

* Fabfilter Timeless 2
* McDSP EC-300
* Metric Halo Dirty Delay
* Overload Gem Echoson
* Soundtoys EchoBoy Jr.

Normally, I only require a basic and easy to use delay with a little character and low CPU consumption. Built-in high-pass and low-pass filters are also appreciated.

From the delays listed, Metric Halo Dirty Delay is probably my favorite.

Right now I have D16's sigmund delay, which is a very nice multitap with filters and overdrive. At the top of my list to get next is Color Copy, for it's amazing sound and modulation, and UberMod for wild creative effects. There are about a million others which are on my radar cause there are just so many different ways to do delay.

I render everything to wav and arrange clips in timeline manually. I like the challange.
No signature here!

I'll do it tomorrow.
I've got this more important thing that needs addressing.
I need to eat first.
There's this thing on YouTube i really want to watch.
I'm too tired.
No-one cares, it's not really important.
Let's see whats happening on KVR first.

I can be really creative when it comes to finding new ways to delay creativity.

Return to “Effects”