Waves Torque And Smack Attack Questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have no desire to get something I don't need if I can accomplish the same thing with the tools I already have.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... zL57ABLLs4

Smack Attack is pretty simple to break down. It's just a Transient Shaper with a limiter and I have several transient shapers so I'm covered there. All I need to do is add the limiter.

Torgue has me a bit baffled. At first it seemed like a multiband compressor of some kind but it actually adjusts the tone of the sound. For the kick, he lowered the tone at a certain frequency and for the snare he raised the tone at a certain frequency. I do not believe I have one plugin that does such a thing. Is Torque my only option for doing this or are there some combination of plugins I can use to achieve the same result?

Smack Attack is a transient designer with it's own approach and sound. Torque can be emualted with an EQ and pitch shifter. However all this is integrated into Torque and just works. Otherwise you'd have to mess around with other plugins to get it to sound right. I bought these for around $25 each on sale. It's always nice to have different transient shapers because each has it's own way and sound. Torque makes it easy to tune specific drums without messing around with aux busses and other plugins and trying to get it all tuned it. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 pm Smack Attack is a transient designer with it's own approach and sound. Torque can be emualted with an EQ and pitch shifter. However all this is integrated into Torque and just works. Otherwise you'd have to mess around with other plugins to get it to sound right. I bought these for around $25 each on sale. It's always nice to have different transient shapers because each has it's own way and sound. Torque makes it easy to tune specific drums without messing around with aux busses and other plugins and trying to get it all tuned it. :phones:
Thanks. So I can get it with other things but just more of a hassle.

Torque is a damn good and highly intuitive tool if you want to tune single percussions independently at the moment you can get them into seperate channels ...an absolute no brainer for me when it was sold at 29$

Here's the official techno mumbo jumbo for Torque & Smack Attack:
https://www.waves.com/sound-synthesis-r ... esynthesis

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:09 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 pm Smack Attack is a transient designer with it's own approach and sound. Torque can be emualted with an EQ and pitch shifter. However all this is integrated into Torque and just works. Otherwise you'd have to mess around with other plugins to get it to sound right. I bought these for around $25 each on sale. It's always nice to have different transient shapers because each has it's own way and sound. Torque makes it easy to tune specific drums without messing around with aux busses and other plugins and trying to get it all tuned it. :phones:
Thanks. So I can get it with other things but just more of a hassle.
Torque is great for what it does. The same can be done with a multiband pitchshifter, or a set of filters along with a pitchshifter. Torque does it quite quickly while taking the dynamics of the sound into consideration as well. It’s worth grabbing on sale if you often work with premixed drums or loops. My only complaint is that it doesn’t go to low enough target frequencies for certain situations.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

How exactly is Torque working, though? I don't think it's straight (band selective) pitch-shifting - I think it's more like using resonance as a frequency shifter or something. It is quite unique/clever and the perfect fit for that one headscratching task.

Torque is to be used on individual channels or into a bus (stereo drums mix)?

I’m pretty sure Torque is a frequency shifter not a pitch shifter. You can do the same thing with a frequency analyizer and a frequency shifter.

alvfaria wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 am Torque is to be used on individual channels or into a bus (stereo drums mix)?
of course a more detailed work can be done on individual percussion but it's versatile enough to do a decent and interesting job on drums submix

Chandlerhimself wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 am I’m pretty sure Torque is a frequency shifter not a pitch shifter. You can do the same thing with a frequency analyizer and a frequency shifter.
The difference here doesn’t matter much since it’s effecting a small range of frequencies that are above a set threshold. You can find the peak frequency of a snare or a kick and then retune it to where you want it while leaving the rest of the spectrum alone. With the processing band so narrow, the difference between pitch shifting and single side band frequency shifting shouldn’t be noticeable.
I’ve found it most useful for big layered snare type sounds or for moving the fundamental pitch of a small synth effect loop or processed found sounds to a pitch that reenforces the key of the song.

The best description I can think of is its like auto tune for drums. That analogy doesn’t hold up really but it’s a decent way of thinking of it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

It’s true, Smack Attack is just a transient enhancer, however, it’s a very customisable one. It’s power comes from the Shape Control and Duration sliders, allowing you to customise its contours for different type of content.

So it’s very hard to emulate to this degree of detail.

Torque is something different, though. It doesn’t employ a Fourier Transform kind of effect as is often widely used with this kind of thing. It doesn’t just simply alter the pitch as all the transient information would be affected. It’s actually using a new form of technology or algorithm that alters the tone, without altering the whole thing.

So while you can try to emulate what it does, you will only be able to get it part of the way there and it won’t sound nearly as transparent, because of its non-Fourier Transform algorithm. That’s where it’s respective power lies.

You don’t NEED these two, and you can reproduce what they do to some part, but you won’t be able to replicate them entirely. The question is, “do you need to??” Are the options you have good enough for your purposes??

Return to “Effects”