Airwindows BassKit: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCM6ldtir0I

TL;DW: Centered bass reinforcement with subs fill. Clean and controllable.

BassKit

As promised, here's BassKit! This is much like DubSub or DubCenter, except it's strictly mono bass and is designed to be super controllable. The controls are simplified and kind of optimized so only good-sounding results come out. You need to have good subwoofers (or use SubsOnly to test) to use the Sub output, otherwise you may not be able to hear what you're doing as it's much deeper and more filtered than you get with most DubSub patches (the filters are somewhat rearranged).

The Bass reinforcement works like if you were using the head bump in ToTape, except it's mono-only so it will only reinforce usefully. Because BassKit is meant for mastering and 2-buss duties, and not the full range of madness available in DubSub/DubCenter, it uses the bass and sub augmentation ONLY as additions to dry: never 'wet only'. You can exaggerate it, but the intention is to make it easy to add bass and subs in a sensible, controlled way. I hope it proves useful, and I know it will be more well-behaved than DubSub in case that one was too unmanageable for normal use :D

This work is supported by Patreon, and I thank everyone who's been involved with that as it lets me devote my full attention to my work. I have plans to improve the DeEss I've just released: I thought it was the best ever, and found there were some great engineers who had specific needs (needing DeEss to more clearly isolate esses from the regular sound). Because of the great feedback, I think I figured out what to do to achieve this, and I'm going to work on it.

I've also noticed new visitors… from Japan! I am only an American in Vermont and cannot speak the language (though my software is open source and it's permitted for other people to translate and redistribute it). I appreciate the attention even if all I can do is turn to Google and say ありがとう、私は助けようとする (thank you, I will try to help)

:D

Very nice--should come in handy. I've been looking forward to it since dubsub.

Also, it's interesting. I googled airwindows with Japanese-language results and apparently there was an in-depth and quite favourable review of the Console series.

(also if you like, you can add the sentence よろしくお願いします to the end of your statement. Literally translated it means "please take care of me" but the spirit of the sentiment is more like "i hope we benefit each other going forward" or "i hope we will be good friends")

Ah, but my thing is that my attention is on what I can do for you. I've got autism and can't focus on that many things at once and do better when I can super-focus on a primary thing and ignore everything else. That holds for life as well, and I find I'm happiest when my attention is fully on 'I will try to help' without asking what else will happen.

I think it's for the people who care about me to ask each other, 'are we taking care of Chris from Airwindows?' Because if I sit around asking 'am I being taken care of enough?' that's a recipe for dissatisfaction and being unhappy or frightened. Now that I'm sort of right on the edge of success (provided I don't get sick or need anything fancy) it's best for me to just trust and concentrate on my end of things <3

hahah, that's an admirable sentiment to express, but "よろしくお願いします" is basically the japanese equivalent of "how do you do." it's a formal 'first greeting' that implies a sort of humility and waiting on the other person. it's not any special request for assistance.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My SubPac gave me some sweet loving from about 12.09 for a good 4 minutes or so :love: ..... going to have some fun using this. Thank you Chris :tu: .
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

sleepcircle wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm hahah, that's an admirable sentiment to express, but "よろしくお願いします" is basically the japanese equivalent of "how do you do." it's a formal 'first greeting' that implies a sort of humility and waiting on the other person. it's not any special request for assistance.
Oh, OK, that makes sense. I'll have to bear that in mind for the future :D

Hi!

So, I tried to use DubCenter and I was unsuccessful. I’d like to give BassKit a go, but what is exactly bass reinforcement? Is it’s like brainworks subsynth, Waves Maxxbass, LoAir etc?

Thank you!

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:30 pm Hi!

So, I tried to use DubCenter and I was unsuccessful. I’d like to give BassKit a go, but what is exactly bass reinforcement? Is it’s like brainworks subsynth, Waves Maxxbass, LoAir etc?

Thank you!
It's like an analog tape head bump. Not like MaxxBass (I do have Floor coming out) which 'synthesizes' an imaginary lower octave, not like strictly an EQ as it behaves with saturation effects. Think of it like a tape head bump or a bass amp: musically related bass reinforcement that's not linear like a simple bass boost would be.

BassKit is also mono, so it introduces only useful bass reinforcement (rather than boosting stuff that will cancel out between speaker) and it allows a sub-octave, that you shouldn't use unless you can monitor what it's doing.

I notice there's an .au version of Floor out already, if perpetual3 works from a mac.

@Jinxtigr, what do you end up doing with these re-releases besides expanding to different platforms—just upgrade the noise shaping stuff? Or do you tinker with the algorithms a bit.

sleepcircle wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 am I notice there's an .au version of Floor out already, if perpetual3 works from a mac.

@Jinxtigr, what do you end up doing with these re-releases besides expanding to different platforms—just upgrade the noise shaping stuff? Or do you tinker with the algorithms a bit.
I do! Thanks for pointing that out!

jinxtigr - Thanks for your continued dedication to your art & craft, and candidly sharing your life experience as an autistic human. I just upped my monthly contribution by about $10 bucks.

sleepcircle wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 am I notice there's an .au version of Floor out already, if perpetual3 works from a mac.

Depends. Sometimes I need not to tinker: for instance the recent DeEss, which has room to grow but that exact version of DeEss had some pretty high-influence friends, so I needed to keep the guts of it just the same and only update denormalize code and the noise shaping to the buss. Other times I'll be doing serious alterations.

BassKit existed before as a totally different plugin that was very much like DubSub and FathomFive. I stole the name from myself because I needed it for the 'much more approachable and sensible' version :D

Return to “Effects”