Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

A similar case happened with the Sound Canvas VA, the early version sounds like the SC-8820 which is more on the trebly and thinner sounding. I'm so glad that the latest version sounds like a normal SC-88 Pro which is beefier and warmer. But I'm still waiting for the SC-880 plugin for the patch mode and a better user interface. Also the silly 15 seconds limitation being removed. It crashed Live 10 (Win 10) here when being closed with the patch browser open. But at least they provide the early character that I adore. Hopefully the same will happen to the JV-1080 plugin at some point. Adding a vintage mode button maybe..I have to use an analog filter plugin to simulate the original for now.

About the JX-3P chorus, is it really that noisy? I have no experience with the real unit. But the chorus introduce a subtle crackle every now and then, the same on a video demo I've watched.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Argh, it’s getting increasingly difficult to decide what to do with RC. In the beginning it was easy to just dismiss the whole thing, reading about the non-scalable/blurry GUIs and other amateurish issues. But I recently took the one month trial and quickly checked all the plugins I’m interested in, and well, they all looked and sounded and worked pretty darn good (for example, there was _something_ about the 909 that I seemed to prefer over some well-regarded sample libraries).

I have no problem with subscriptions per se, it works really well with the ones like Adobe and Netflix. But although Roland (VS) keeps adding good stuff to the cloud, I still feel it’s _kind_ of a niche collection of products, and paying that much for it is not really worth it. Then again, I also have a soft/nostalgic spot for everything Roland, having started my whole career with their hw synths. And then again again, I read about the ”YOURS program” and all the problems with it, or rather, how the whole thing does not really exist... Darn. The plugins are great, I want to use them. Roland, couldn’t you just make everything else around the plugins work?

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm This is turning making music in to an accountant course, music isn’t a value proposition to me....if I like it and it inspires me I buy it, no calculator needed 😉
Roland is counting on your inability to do a trivial post-hoc value analysis. That's how grifters have been taking your money since the beginning of time. You point has no teeth, you can't justify a lesser value by arguing that you don't care about value. That just means that the conversation isn't important to you. I suspect that you're not being entirely truthful though.

I suspect that most of us have purchased gear on impulse, we probably regret some and don't care that much about others. Truth be told, I bought K5 on impulse. But to say that some amount of money doesn't matter to you, and that's all that you're saying, I doubt, for example, that if you were inspired by Abbey Road Studios that you could afford to purchase it, that doesn't negate the argument that the same amount of money matters to others, nor does it negate the fact that others may prefer to get more value for that money.
But I already OWN Komplete Ultimate, so are you saying I should not buy any more plug ins because they are lesser value?

Most of us have purchased gear on impulse because the gear is good and the sale is good and then not use it as much as we though we would....you then sit on it or sell it for a loss. With rental you can just pay 20 bucks a month, no buyers remorse, if you dont use it, stop paying, if you want to use it again, start paying again (its that easy).

I still think RC has SAVED me money as I was going to buy a system 8 (for 1000+ bucks) and getting the software version killed the desire (not that it doesn't sound good, it sounds just as good as the real thing with my controller keyboard). I also have a hardware System1m in my Eurorack and just to buy the plug outs for that hardware (which I would have done) like 101, system 100, promars etc would have cost around 600-700 bucks alone, so 'I' feel like I am getting exceptional value for my 200 bucks a year, but the minute I doint want to use it, I just stop paying.

....it also gently injects me with new surprise toys periodically an acts as methadone to my GAS :hyper: :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hopefully once all the jv boards gET released maybe the second handprices will come down. I do regret selling the dance expansion board rat got discontinued due to copyright infringement. But hey I got a handsome reward none the less.

I have been trying to download the two "Interna Series" SRX expansions unsuccessfully. I was always getting the "Roland Cloud services aren't available" message. Frustrated with that, I e-mailed support today. They asked me to log out and log in again.

After doing that, those two expansions no longer appeared in the list. I e-mailed again, and got the following answer:

"The "Interna Series" isn't an actual product, it was just a deployment test, so there is nothing to actually download"

WTF??? Did anyone actually succeeded in downloading these? I insisted, and they developed the answer a little further:

"You may be one of a few Roland Cloud users who caught a glimpse of two new instruments in the RCM last week. They are not available for download, but some of you got a sneak peek. We apologize for any confusion and promise to let you know as soon as any new instruments or updates become available."

Well, I caught the glimpse, all right, but not the "sneak peek", unfortunately :(
Fernando (FMR)

As mentioned, they weren't downloadable, and the payload size was only 17KB, so was obviously just a glitch - but it shows at least that they are likely working on more SRX stuff, which is good news.

They may not be downloadable but they have been there for a week and they are still there now!!

- one has been updated to V1.01!!

That's pretty sloppy to do your testing in public!!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

beely wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pmbut it shows at least that they are likely working on more SRX stuff, which is good news.
Good news indeed but the release cycle for these SRX feels very slow for me. I mean, if it takes almost a full year for them to release 4 SRX plugins (potentially)... It's not like they have to start from scratch each time they make another SRX either way.

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm They may not be downloadable but they have been there for a week and they are still there now!!

- one has been updated to V1.01!!

That's pretty sloppy to do your testing in public!!
If you log out and log in again, they will be gone (at least that's what happened to me).
Fernando (FMR)

sinemotor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pm
beely wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pmbut it shows at least that they are likely working on more SRX stuff, which is good news.
Good news indeed but the release cycle for these SRX feels very slow for me. I mean, if it takes almost a full year for them to release 4 SRX plugins (potentially)... It's not like they have to start from scratch each time they make another SRX either way.
Yes, it's slow. Also, since those SRX were a "glitch", it means this month we will have no new toys :(
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm Yes, it's slow. Also, since those SRX were a "glitch", it means this month we will have no new toys :(
Why are you saying that ?

sinemotor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:36 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm Yes, it's slow. Also, since those SRX were a "glitch", it means this month we will have no new toys :(
Why are you saying that ?
Because the new toys usually come in the week I make my payment (just a coincidence) and that passed already. But may just be a little late though :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

sinemotor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pmGood news indeed but the release cycle for these SRX feels very slow for me. I mean, if it takes almost a full year for them to release 4 SRX plugins (potentially)... It's not like they have to start from scratch each time they make another SRX either way.
Up until now, the two SRX expansions were variations of the JV1080 plugin - so in addition to digging out and preparing the SRX sample data and parameters, they had to redesign and skin the main UI of the JV1080 each time - a fair amount of graphics work.

Hopefully these new SRX expansions, should they come, will just be additional expansion files for a newer version of the JV1080 plugin - in which case, once the 1080 supports this, it should be far easier to do (and I wish they had just done this in the first place - but, like marketing etc. :roll: ).

And of course, it's not just these things they are doing - we don't know the development resources Roland have for this project, or what else they are working on - they might have three devs, and have twelve different plugins in development at the moment...

But whatever the case, how they prioritise development and what gets finished first - they are likely usually going to go for a staggered rollout, so they can get more news items over the course of the year, and more opportunities to get people to sign up. So it's unlikely that they will all get done/released at once, anyway...

But of course, who *doesn't* want things done faster, in general..? :lol:

beely wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 pmHopefully these new SRX expansions, should they come, will just be additional expansion files for a newer version of the JV1080 plugin - in which case, once the 1080 supports this, it should be far easier to do (and I wish they had just done this in the first place - but, like marketing etc. :roll: ).
I wouldn't bet on that since they've already released two individual SRX plugins. It would have been common sense to make just one plugin for all the SRX+JV waveforms though... :roll:

sinemotor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pmI wouldn't bet on that since they've already released two individual SRX plugins.
Sure. But it's not impossible that they heard the feedback and decided to change things. We'll have to wait and see what happens, I guess...
sinemotor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pmIt would have been common sense to make just one plugin for all the SRX+JV waveforms though... :roll:
You know what they say... "common sense is not very common..." ;)

Return to “Instruments”