What is a Synth VST with a wide range of "classic" bass preset? - Electronic music.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4435 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 am
You're assuming 3 things.

1. Presets aren't right.
2. Tweaking isn't possible.
3. Arrangement isn't adaptable.
In the extreme corner case, which you were pushing towards with your highland bagpipes example. The fact that most people do manage to make music implies that at least one of those conditions is not in force.

But don't let me stop you, go ahead and legislate over an extreme corner case to make whatever point it is you're trying to make.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF

Re: What is a Synth VST with a wide range of "classic" bass preset? - Electronic music.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 am

wagtunes wrote:

Now, if you don't give a damn about what other people think, I'm all for playing a sitar solo on a death metal track.
'K

But I don't think it's an original idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUZ3kbSvKA

wagtunes
KVRAF
13997 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is a Synth VST with a wide range of "classic" bass preset? - Electronic music.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 am
wagtunes wrote:

Now, if you don't give a damn about what other people think, I'm all for playing a sitar solo on a death metal track.
'K

I'm pretty sure just about everything in the world has been done already.

PatchAdamz
KVRAF
4332 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am

The PolySix (both hardware and software) can definitely do "Classic" bass.
It gets overlooked, but sits nicely in the track.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12683 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:11 am

I still don't know what kind of basses he means. "Electronic music" is such a broad term...

mementus
KVRist
456 posts since 10 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Thank you all for the tips.

I solved my problem using some Retrologue (a Cubase synth) presets.

Now I can keep making my shitty unskilled boring mechanic and vomiting "music" :D

layzer
KVRAF
5755 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:34 pm

mementus wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Thank you all for the tips.

I solved my problem using some Retrologue (a Cubase synth) presets.

Now I can keep making my shitty unskilled boring mechanic and vomiting "music" :D
as long as the end effect on people is what you
are shooting for in your music, thats all that matters :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

vurt
addled muppet weed
38517 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Gamma-UT wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 am
wagtunes wrote:

'K

om. pilgrimage, may have been a better example.
although that's stoner doom rather than death i suppose.
i reckon youd have got away with it though.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:08 pm

vurt wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:45 pm
om. pilgrimage, may have been a better example.
although that's stoner doom rather than death i suppose.
i reckon youd have got away with it though.
To tell the truth, I just ran a search on "sitar death metal". I figured it would probably turn up something.

ThePresent
KVRist
408 posts since 17 Dec, 2013 from The Netherlands

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Great choice, Retrologue is awesome. Keep OBXD in mind too, the filter can generate powerful lows

perpetual3
KVRist
490 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 am
I genuinly wonder , if you presets guys don't find a patch to your liking ...what do you then ?
Do you stop making music , really ? :party:
Depending on my mood, I’ll either roll my own, or browse through some presets.

The thing is, without exception, a preset never stays a preset It’s just inspiration, a point of departure.

But for many years, I avoided presets at all costs. I would never browse, and started all patches from INIT. If I didn’t know how to make a sound I read about it and later watched online. I also wouldn’t re-use presets either. I initialized every patch in every track or song. But my first synth was a Roland SH-101, so I guess that was just a habit.

I don’t know when, but one day relatively recently I just started browsing through the presets of my synths. Now, I can pick out the elements of the preset I like, change what I feel needs to be changed, tweak, etc. In the process I also learn more about sound design, which informs rolling my own patches.

Teksonik
KVRAF
11751 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:55 am
Coding requires a brain , creating a patch requires ...
I let you fill in the blanks :tu:
Everything requires a brain. Even posting at KVR, believe it or not.

Is coding your own VSTi harder that creating your own patches ? Of course but both require some skills, experience, and the most salient factor, time.

Some people would rather make music than patches. That is a perfectly legitimate way of working.

I like making my own patches but I'll use use one made by someone else in a heartbeat if I find it inspiring.

Only using your own presets deprives you of the skill and experiencing of other sound designers. Unless you are the greatest sound designer in the world and none of us reading this thread are you can benefit from the inspiration of others.

Anyway my point is that looking down on people who can't or won't create their own patches is a pompous attitude and a misguided way of thinking. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12683 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:45 am

Yes, and that's why it is regrettable when a synth has crappy factory presets, forcing customers to either buy third-party sound sets or make their own patches.

Since the favorite genre of the developer plays a big role, I think synths should come with a two-layer preset system: first genres, and for each genre instrument categories. This way an R&B person doesn't have to wade through hundreds of EDM and other patches with names that don't say anything.

Orbit-50
KVRAF
2160 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm

mementus wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Just do yourself a favor and try to keep the vomit sounds to a minimum. Tests have shown that 9 out of 10 people don't prefer the sound of vomiting in their music. It doesn't make for a pleasant listening experience. Thanks.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

ttsakonas
KVRer
15 posts since 19 Mar, 2018

Post Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Just use synth1. You will find some good bass presets.
Or you may mix ABPL free pick bass with a bass from Ob-xd.

--------------------
HW: Clavia Nord Lead A1, Roland SH-101, Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland SH-201, Yamaha TG-500, Roland JV-1080, Yamaha Clavinova, Focusrite Scarlett 6x6, Behringer Xenyx 1002, Samson Graphite 49, E-MU Xboard 49, Omnitronic FAD-9, Doepfer Dark Link, HP i5@2.50GHz 64 bit - 8GB RAM, SW: Cubase 9.5, Melodyne 4, Nora, Scaler, Magic A/B, jBridge

Return to “Instruments”