Is it worth going modular?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Look like I really want to eurorack. However I feel as though I may be limited sonically just because I can not purchase ALL the modules I would want. I understand that sometime limitations can breed creativity and whatnot. But at the same time, like I don't want to only be able to get a osc and like one filter.

I want to be able to make lead sounds. Various kinds from like warm, to screeching, to cold and metallic.

Should I bite the bullet and go eurorack? Or is there a hardware synth better suited to this? Thanks in advance.

Maybe start semi-modular, where you’ll get better bang for your buck? Then you can gradually expand into a full modular system.

Where or not it is worth it is impossible to answer, and depends on the individual. I started my system in 1996, and I’m still planning to add onto it this Black Friday. :help:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

If you can't afford more than a power supply and a few modules and you really want to patch some cables for cheap the Behringer Neutron is the biggest bang for the buck.

If you tried to replicate the Netron with separate modules you'd be looking at 3 times the price.

If you have a bit more to spend then the new Arturia Minibrutes pack alot in for your money.
You can pick up an Arturia Microbrute cheap on eBay and it has some limited patching.

If you just want analogue the IK Multimedia UNO is a bargain at the moment.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I wanted to have modular. Then I bought Make Noise 0-Coast in may. Half a year later, still didn't make a single track with it :D Modular GAS tamed.

That is, I'm a ITB guy and that's my first hardware synth ever. If you're already used to working with non-modular hardware, it may just work for you.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I got one of the Behringer Neutrons... it's a freakin awesome little synth. So much character and a surprisingly diverse range of sounds. I'm gonna order a second one on Monday! Nothing else comes close for the price. It's an excellent option to explore a bit of modular synthesis.

Semi-modular suits me well... Full modular there are just too many choices, too much complexity, too much chance to spend years buying stuff

I agree with deastman et al. The best entry-point/tasting test for a modular system these days is a good semi-modular... look at systems with with as patchable a signal path as possible, though ideally normalled to a more traditional layout (ie no patching necessary unless you want to 'override' how its laid out)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

supriseitsathrowaway wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 am Look like I really want to eurorack. However I feel as though I may be limited sonically just because I can not purchase ALL the modules I would want. I understand that sometime limitations can breed creativity and whatnot. But at the same time, like I don't want to only be able to get a osc and like one filter.

I want to be able to make lead sounds. Various kinds from like warm, to screeching, to cold and metallic.

Should I bite the bullet and go eurorack? Or is there a hardware synth better suited to this? Thanks in advance.
you say you can't buy all the modules you'd want, do you mean in one go or even over time?
if over time the investment is "too much" then no, don't bother. it's a lot of money to spend if you're not going to be happy with the purchase.

some of the semi modular bits might be more suitable, also with the option to expand a little with a single rack maybe if in the future you fancy some different filter or oscillator options.

I think my suggestion would be an 0-Coast -- it really embraces the "modular spirit" and one learns a lot while getting the most out of it.

There are a few ways to expand into a few modules a little at a time:

- Hungry Robot Modular -- guitar pedal-like, but Eurorack compatible. Nice if you just want to add a couple of things.
- Roland Aira FX series (Demora, Bitrazer, Torcido, Scooper) -- FX modules that can work standalone or be racked, and repatched internally via a phone or desktop app, it's like a mini-modular inside of a module
- 4ms Pod w/a few modules -- very small cases for a few modules at most.

supriseitsathrowaway wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 am Should I bite the bullet and go eurorack? Or is there a hardware synth better suited to this? Thanks in advance.
B Neutron or Softube modular (eurorack software) where you can play around learning stuff. With Softube you can find out if modular is your thing and what you need, if you decide to go physical modules (btw you can combine softube modular with real life modules).

yeah he went playing fortnite after his odissey thread so... :lol:

I feel the temptation to go modular so often it's ridiculous, mostly for the combination of open sound design possibilities and tactile interface. However, given some of things I like to emulate, I don't think hardware would ever be feasible (never enough oscillators/filters). Still, it's so pretty to look at. :wink:

If you get a Neutron with just a couple of Expert Sleeper Disting modules, you would have a very flexible setup with not a significant investment. Each Disting can perform 50+ different functions.

Start with VCV rack (its FREE) and see if you like the sounds you get and the pathing methodology....

https://vcvrack.com/

Many of the eurorack models (such as Mutable Instruments) are available and as they are digital anyway they sound and preform exactly as they would min a modular.

I have almost 600hp of eurorack, its probably cost me five grand and I can get almost identical results with VCV rack, trust me, I don't say that lightly! The analog stuff sounds better (I have a Neutron and a Mother 32 and would recommend the semi- route) but most of the digital stuff can be reproduced on your computer, so unless it is the tactile knobs, lights and leads you are looking for, stick with one-knob per function analog

PS- personally would recommend avoiding things like the Disting initially, they are great value modules but cryptic menu diving for beginners and not really 'fun' or inspiring knob tweaking if that's what your looking for.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have a Disting, and I kind of hate it -- but I'm keeping it around anyway, mostly just to use as a delay. I have no doubt I'd be happier with a Chronoblob but that means making a bit more space.

The alternative I would recommend is a micro Ornament + Crime (uO_C) with the Hemisphere Suite firmware. It doesn't have the hardware specs to do audio very well (except some lo-fi stuff), but it's got a ton of other utilities and some sequencing power.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”