Toneboosters - Do They Answer Questions? Yes They Do!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

I'm a fan of Toneboosters and have bought most of their' plug-ins.

The only problem I find with the company is that they don't reply to questions - anyone else found this or is it just me?

I realise it's a one-person operation (I think), but a brief answer to user questions would be nice.

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by cpsmusic on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

They've answered me before.

Have you emailed him or are you expecting him to answer a question in a thread he'll likely not see?

Jeroen has been very quick to reply any time I've contacted him.

https://www.toneboosters.com/support.html

Agreed. I needed help regarding a lost serial key. His response was quick and helpful.

Hmmm...I used the website contact form. Just had a couple of questions about the design/usage of two plug-ins - never got a response.

That might depend on your questions. It might be that he simply couldn't be bothered. His time he can spend on Toneboosters is certainly limited, so if your questions were any naive, irrelevant, inane, petty, are answered by the manual or anything of that sort, it would be very understandable that he just wouldn't reply at all.

I have no idea what you asked, but I am pretty certain that developers are often bombed with a lot of questions of that sort and small developers certainly do not have the required sources for that kind of "support" conversation. I would guess that if you raise good points or ask a smart question the chance for you to get a reply is much higher than if that is not the case. And I would guess the same would apply if the developer knows you to be an avid online supporter of his work.

Again: I'm really just guessing here.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

B.t.w.: I had been working for an insurance company's phone support for a few years. After a while I knew all the questions, all the rants, all the whining. The basically just said their name and I would often know the whole conversation that would ensue and just wanted to press the fast-forward button. After a while I could not stand it. They thought what they said was original, but I had heard the same sentences hundreds of times.(Being on the phone, I unfortunately could not answer by using copy and paste.) That taught me that people, how generic and unoriginal their thoughts might ever be, always think they are smart, original and independent thinkers - even if they argue something for twenty minutes just because they are too dumb to get it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I’ve sent 2 emails in the past....no reply!

Toneboosters, and any other company, can damn well reply, "Please refer to the manual" if a question is clearly answered there. Customer care is very important, especially if you are a 1 man show.
Not replying is bad. Some of the customers are new to the audio production world, some may have been misinformed or have a completely wrong picture of everything about the plugin. Even if they are lazy. A reply takes like 4 seconds using your FAQ draft.
jens wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am B.t.w.: I had been working for an insurance company's phone support for a few years. After a while I knew all the questions, all the rants, all the whining. The basically just said their name and I would often know the whole conversation that would ensue and just wanted to press the fast-forward button. After a while I could not stand it. They thought what they said was original, but I had heard the same sentences hundreds of times.(Being on the phone, I unfortunately could not answer by using copy and paste.) That taught me that people, how generic and unoriginal their thoughts might ever be, always think they are smart, original and independent thinkers - even if they argue something for twenty minutes just because they are too dumb to get it.
I've had a similar job in the past for a long time, but also i have been on the other side of that line plenty of times. Going from what your feelings seem to be of the callers you weren't left very sympathetic of the other person on the line. I could be wrong. Having had a lot of similar calls as yourself i became more sympathetic because for many of those people, you are very important. I can imagine situations where insurance can be lifesaving. Service jobs are never easy and need emotional skill. Calling questions petty, dumb or similar is not a good starting point. Not mean to offend you, you are honest about your experience and thoughts.

I can only chime in to say that Jeroen has been very helpful and quick for my 2 support mails. It's probably like jens said: It depends on the question. Not good, but, we're taking about a one man business here.

I've had ToneBoosters emails and tickets answered promptly. Be sure your email program isn't blocking messages from their domain.

I have only had good experiences with TB support. But my queries have only ever been simple questions that could be answered quicky.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I don't think my questions were difficult or answered anywhere in the manual (I work as a tech. writer so I'm one of those strange people who actually RTFM :) ).

My questions were: (1) Are the four modes of the TB Compressor v3 based on any particular hardware? And (2) Does TB Equalizer 4 show gain reduction anywhere?

Cheers!

Think I might try again using a different email address - I did have a problem a while back with someone not being able to respond to my emails.

Return to “Effects”