Modules factory built VS DIY?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know the definitions of the words, I'm talking in terms of sound quality. More specifically I was looking to purchase the Mutable Instruments Cloud Module. On reverb.com there is a factory made one for ~$400. However, there is also a DIY one for about two hundred dollars cheaper?

Is this a you get what you pay for situation or is this something I can cheap out on?

Factory made
https://reverb.com/item/16567268-mutabl ... odule-euro

DIY
https://reverb.com/item/14321866-diy-mu ... ack-module

I have a couple of DIY bits from ebay. A MI Clouds similar to what you've posted and an Oscilloscope. I didn't realise I had to calibrate clouds when it arrived which confused me as everything was pitched weird. Other than that they've been perfect.

They will be identical in sound quality if the builder was competent at all. (Also they should have calibrated it before shipping.)

The two advantages of a factory-built Mutable module: the panel may look a lot nicer, and Olivier does not offer support for hardware failures on DIY modules.

I'm amused at the prices people want for factory Clouds at this point -- more than they cost when new. The successor to Clouds is coming (my guess is in the first quarter of 2019, for whatever that's worth).

yeah im thinking of waiting on the new version.
mainly because i want to buy direct as a thank you for joining in the charity auction. that way the company gets max profit out of the purchase.

although if i see a reasonably priced v1 ill probably grab that as well.

If a DIY seller won’t/doesn’t show pics of their work (the soldering), then pass. This goes for ANY kind of module.

A quality builder will show off their handiwork, and you can be assured a good craftsman will build a product that will last.

I will no doubt give DIY a shot at some point, generally I'm pretty handy at fixing and
assembling stuff. A lot of the DIY seems super cool and creative, although often it seems
like one would have to take up one hobby, just to be able to do another. I cant afford
that kind thing :neutral:

But a decent soldering station, isn't too bad...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”