Roland mx1 .performer and ableton sync

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently purchased Roland system,8 Synth I'm happy with it . I was thinking getting the Roland mx 1 performer . As it's seems to pretty simple to sync with my Synth and I need a new audio interface anyway . So my question is can I use the midi editor in ableton to control my system 8 .
Last edited by lectropunk on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audio over USB is self explanatory ... it means that the synths audio connects to your computer over a USB connection. The only cable needed is a USB instrument cable which will come with synth. One cable carries both audio and midi.

Audio over USB in the case of most synths and the System 8 in particular forces you to use the device as your sound card to work.

So since DAW can't select two or more soundcards you become limited in your choices, there are some workarounds as agregate devices on MacoS and ASIO4all on windows but they introduce more latency and make the system less stable.

So in the end unless the System8 is your only audio device using audio over uSB is not practical at all, it would be easier to connect its normal audio ouputs to the inputs of your currrent audio interface,
Last edited by rod_zero on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dedication to flying

Thanks people I have no problem using it as a soundcard . Is it hard to set it up ?
Seems like a top notch Synth

Setup procedure should be outlined here:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... s_manuals/

Fully quoted instructions from page 18:
Roland wrote:Connecting a Computer via USB
In order to use the SYSTEM-8, you must download the driver from the following URL and install it on your computer. For details on installation, refer to the following URL.
http://www.roland.com/support/

NOTE
Do not connect the SYSTEM-8 to your computer before you have finished installing the driver.
If you have already connected the SYSTEM-8, disconnect it, and then reconnect it after driver installation is completed.
But it sounds like you're easily intimidated. If so, ask for help from a tech-savvy friend. It can't be too difficult.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks pal

rod_zero wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:30 pm ... it would be easier to connect its normal audio ouputs to the inputs of your currrent audio interface,
I think I agree if you are using maschine as your interface. Presumably it'll still handle midi over USB ...

Thanks bud :-)

Alright rod zero man I got the Synth :-) happy days .
I'm going to set it up as my audio interface
I'm after downloading the drivers is it complex to set up ?

I recently purchased Roland system,8 Synth I'm happy with it . I was thinking getting the Roland mx 1 performer . As it's seems to pretty simple to sync with my Synth and I need a new audio interface anyway . So my question is can I use the midi editor in ableton to control my system 8 .

Yes.

Deadly thank you also I got a matrix brute the best Synth ever made !

Nice one getting the MB. It looks fantastic. I thought about getting one, but just don't have space for such a huge synth (I bought a Medusa instead). Have fun :)

It certainly is huge and I can't wait to get the Roland mx to sync it up .

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”