Bitwig's use of screen space is AWFUL

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Short and sweet, I'm so sick of the amount of zooming in and zooming out I have to do, because Bitwig's smart tool won't give me the god damn mouse to select something. Jesus, does anybody at Bitwig actually use the software? If I can see it, I should be able to click on it.........

And the snap to grid feature, oh my word, the amount of time that's been wasted zooming in to get something in the right place. Whatever the term is for this in GUI speak, selection and snapping has to be possible at a much higher level that it is currently.

I'm using Bitwig since 2.5 years. What is the smart tool ?

^^^ the pointer one, btw yepp the 'Zoom to Fit' shortkey is real lifesaver

"smart tool won't give me the god damn mouse to select something" ... err clicking on the headers (clips, events etc.) selects them
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

The pointer is smart ? I always had the impression that it will take the utility/shape it is told to. '1' for regular arrow pointer, '5' for cutting/knife, '4' for the eraser, etc.

The only thing I'd say, is in 2.3.4 where that cursor seems to get stuck into one functionality at times, only allowing other functionality/shapes to take place when a number key is pressed and held, which is an annoying bug.

Truth. I bought a mouse with macro buttons, a Steelseries Rival 500 to be exact, and it's a godsend in bitwig because I have easy access on my thumb to buttons that I've bound to ctrl and ctrl+alt. This means I can easily zoom both vertically and horizontally just using the mouth. It's one of the best tools I ever bought for music production on a computer, easily beats all the midi controllers :p

On Windows: press and hold middle click + dragging let’s you zoom and scroll everywhere. I miss this on my other daws such as cubase and ableton.

astey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 am On Windows: press and hold middle click + dragging let’s you zoom and scroll everywhere. I miss this on my other daws such as cubase and ableton.
Not sure about Cubase, but Live 10 supports both scrolling & zooming using touchpad gestures (2 fingers scroll, 2 fingers+CTRL zoom) which I'm 100% sure is equivalent of using a mouse wheel. Try with CTRL.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

astey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 am On Windows: press and hold middle click + dragging let’s you zoom and scroll everywhere. I miss this on my other daws such as cubase and ableton.
This works on Mac too - this is the main reason why I use a "normal" mouse with a wheel.

And I assigned "zoom to fit" to z key (like in logic) - I'm missing nothing :tu:

I map the Ctrl-Mousewheel as zoom in/out, and Alt-Mousewheel as scroll left/right. Works great in the arranger window and in Sampler editor and in Event Editor. The Alt-Mousewheel combo also works great for scrolling left/right in the Mixer, Launcher, etc.

Those two custom shortcuts, plus Z to zoom the Arranger to fit the total project content, plus H to jump the playhead to 1.1.1, all make editing and arranging and mixing in Bitwig a breeze.

I also use Shift-1 through Shift-0 to automatically launch playback from the first ten cue markers in every project.

Yokai wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:34 pm I map the Ctrl-Mousewheel as zoom in/out, and Alt-Mousewheel as scroll left/right. Works great in the arranger window and in Sampler editor and in Event Editor. The Alt-Mousewheel combo also works great for scrolling left/right in the Mixer, Launcher, etc.

Those two custom shortcuts, plus Z to zoom the Arranger to fit the total project content, plus H to jump the playhead to 1.1.1, all make editing and arranging and mixing in Bitwig a breeze.

I also use Shift-1 through Shift-0 to automatically launch playback from the first ten cue markers in every project.
This is really cool. Thanks for sharing your shortcuts.

Meanwhile,I also use some:
Shift + S -Unsolos all solo-ed tracks
Shift + D - Unmutes all muted tracks
R- - Reverses the clip
and Numlock 0 - Zoom to Fit (relevant to the thread lol)

Also regarding screen space,I assume multiple screens might help depending on your preferred layout.

I have a Razer Naga mouse. It's designed for MMO games. The button keypad on the side is amazing with Bitwig. Maybe that will help if you don't like using loads of keyboard shortcuts.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

I wanted to try something like Yokai's "Ctrl-Mousewheel as zoom in/out, and Alt-Mousewheel as scroll left/right" to see how it fits me but I don't know how to add (input) control, command, alt/option, or the mouse wheel to the dialog that pops up. It just stays blank. Anyone know how? I'm on macOS BTW.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:23 am I wanted to try something like Yokai's "Ctrl-Mousewheel as zoom in/out, and Alt-Mousewheel as scroll left/right" to see how it fits me but I don't know how to add (input) control, command, alt/option, or the mouse wheel to the dialog that pops up. It just stays blank. Anyone know how? I'm on macOS BTW.
I think it is just a default setting by bitwig. CTRL + mousewheel is Zoom in/out by default on Windows.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My default is mousewheel tilt + move mouse up or down to zoom & pan. Since tilt is already assigned I'll look to see how that's done, assuming it shows me. While I'm there I'll see what else I can find. I didn't think of that last night for some reason. Sleep is important everyone. :zzz: :oops:

Turns out I can't find mousewheel tilt anywhere. :shrug:
-JH

newtobitwig wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am
JHernandez wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:23 am I wanted to try something like Yokai's "Ctrl-Mousewheel as zoom in/out, and Alt-Mousewheel as scroll left/right" to see how it fits me but I don't know how to add (input) control, command, alt/option, or the mouse wheel to the dialog that pops up. It just stays blank. Anyone know how? I'm on macOS BTW.
I think it is just a default setting by bitwig. CTRL + mousewheel is Zoom in/out by default on Windows.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, the Ctrl-wheel and Alt-wheel are standard on Windows. Not custom shortcut assignments. Not sure what the corresponding Mac gestures are, since Apple doesn’t make mice with scroll wheels?

You can see how I’ve assigned all my custom shortcuts here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRd ... HM4ABgxumI

Return to “Bitwig”