Kontakt 6 or Sampletank 3 - what to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You have answered your own question by putting it first in the question ie Kontakt 6.Save you $ and buy Komplete Ultimate though it really is great value for money as well a professional sound (sic) package
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

BERFAB wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:56 pm ST3 and Kontakt are two different things.
ST3 is a modified ROMpler. ....
Kontakt is a sampler, and has become the de facto go-to production tool for sound designers because it has an amazing range of high quality features, geared mostly toward the technically talented. I am not one of those people. But, it explains why there are so many quality 3rd party libraries available in Kontakt format--sound producers love it, and so they develop their content on it.

Hope you find this helpful.
Cheers
-B
Thanks for the comparison. I'm more of a rompler user, maybe that's why I find ST3 more approachable.
risome wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm You have answered your own question by putting it first in the question ie Kontakt 6.Save you $ and buy Komplete Ultimate though it really is great value for money as well a professional sound (sic) package
Komplete Ultimate is £900 :o , so unfortunately it's out of the question.

Since you qualify, wait for a crossgrade sale and you can grab Kontakt for $125.

If you want to have sounds out of the box to go, than take the ST3.
If you want a tool that offers you everything you Need to work with samples and make your own sounds, than get the Kontakt. But don´t expect it to have good bread and butter sounds out of the box in the Basic library that ship with it.
IMHO the Halion is nothing I would buy again. It doesn´t offer really good sounds out of the box and non easy Sample Manipulation eather, even though it can do this...........but easy is something else.
I used them all and got stick with the Kontakt for all sample Manipulation purposes.
I bought special plugins for all my other needs, such as Pianos and so on.#
Just find out for your self, what sounds do I really Need. What are the instruments that I use most of the time.
For me it was Piano, Strings, Choires and other orchestral sounds. So I bought the Equipment I needed on by on until I was set perfectly.

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm Kontakt 6 comes with 3 new libraries. Hybrid keys is amazing. Very well designed presets that requires non to very basic tweaking. Thats in general i noticed about libraries that come with Kontakt, they dont require as much tweaking as Sampletank 3 ones. In general i had a feeling that majority of Sampletank presets are just more sound sources and developer didnt thought thro to make them usable just from first listen.
I just listened to "hybrid Keys" demo on youtube and found what was presented there as very average. The only reason they sound good is because they are drenched in reverb and fx. Lets not forget the wavetable synth that no one wanted or asked for. Add some developers stuff and that's Kontakt 6 done.

dellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 pmLets not forget the wavetable synth that no one wanted or asked for.
Lots of people wanted to see some form of synthesis other than just filtering samples in Kontakt, so... You're wrong there. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm
dellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 pmLets not forget the wavetable synth that no one wanted or asked for.
Lots of people wanted to see some form of synthesis other than just filtering samples in Kontakt, so... You're wrong there. :)
Its hard to keep tabs on stuff nowadays. Everything is morphing into something else. DAWs like Bitwig that are better known for there modulators (whatever they are). Samplers like Kontakt that want to be wavetable synths. Whatever is the world coming to. :o

dellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 am I just did a run through of all the saxes on both of them,and none of them are going to win any rewards are they. The onboard sounds in Studio One 4 are more or less on a par with them.
I felt both the Halion and Kontakt saxes are more usable than the ST3 ones - there is also more scope for tuning the patches, which brings me to...
dellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 amJust as a contrast I fired up my 20 year old Roland XV88, and I would take its sax over both Sampletank and Kontakt, which does not speak well of the progress that has been made.
The thing about the older workstations is that the patch designers made heavy use of the synth engine - something you find less of now because the larger sample libraries supposedly make that less essential. Simply opening a 12bB non-resonant filter up on high velocity or mod-wheel (or even better CC2 breath) can do wonders for a shallow-sampled instrument.

I think it was a missed opportunity for IK not to make ST3 behave more like an old-skool rompler with a decent mod matrix and better support for mixing sample sources in one instrument (though I think you can emulate that a bit simply by stacking instruments on a single MIDI channel). It would have opened up much more ground between Halion and Kontakt, which are built for much more extensive sample manipulation but aren't really geared up for the kind of sound design you found on a JV or TG-type instrument.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:45 pm

I felt both the Halion and Kontakt saxes are more usable than the ST3 ones - there is also more scope for tuning the patches, which brings me to...

I was ready to pull the trigger on Halion last week when it was on sale for very little. I downloaded the whole shebang only to find nothing in it inspired me. Which goes to show again how subjective this whole sound thing is. You are right about synth engine and mod matrix, which goes to prove that huge samples do not go to make great sounds without a lot of hard work to velocity switching etc. These old school romplers often have very small samples yet can be more inspiring.

K6.

dellboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:32 pmSamplers like Kontakt that want to be wavetable synths. Whatever is the world coming to. :o
Better said "Samplers like Kontakt that want to keep on being samplers but with added synthesis facilities that some of competition has", perhaps. ;)

In the long run, you will be much happier that you bought Kontakt. I would be willing to wager money on that.
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

+ 1 dollar
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well, I'd buy it for a dollar.

There is too much development for Kontakt which doesn't happen for Sampletank for there to be any competition.

That said, if you're happy enough with what's in ST - there are good things in it - and remaining unaware of what's out there...

If you're into realism for something like a saxophone - the argument to Kontakt Factory Library is a kind of fallacy, because of my first sentence - the state of the art was developed in Kontakt before the SWAM engine was developed, and here it's debatable that their original SampleModeling is inferior to AudioModeling, per use value. The WarpIV horns don't happen for ST. Ironic to me that sax was brought in as a supposed point, frankly.

SonicCouture scripting; all the other developers, from OTS to Impact Soundworks et al, ad infin scripting to make instruments more and more viable and emulating behaviors. There's a reason for that.

But if you're like the person that doesn't need any of it, that dismisses it for having features the other thing doesn't - note the fallacy - maybe you will never use it. If you're expecting your needs to expand and expect to grow having more, you probably would be happier with Kontakt in a long view.

Return to “Instruments”