Kontakt 6 or Sampletank 3 - what to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cap'n Spanky wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm In the long run, you will be much happier that you bought Kontakt. I would be willing to wager money on that.
Just buy it for goodness sake.

your life will then be complete and you can die happy and fulfilled :hihi:

The problem is we don't know the OP's requirements. If it's for a bunch of instruments for a covers band, ST3 is plenty.

The O.P. answered already. He/she prefer Sample Tank. So why don‘t trust your own feeling?

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm The problem is we don't know the OP's requirements. If it's for a bunch of instruments for a covers band, ST3 is plenty.
Absolutely, this should be the primary question.

9 times out of 10, being KVR, it tends to be EDM though.

Cinebient wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm The O.P. answered already. He/she prefer Sample Tank. So why don‘t trust your own feeling?
Wat?

As a long time user of Sampletank (since version 2) and Kontakt (since v4)... Id hate to say it, but it really pays to have both. They both have their pluses and minuses.

I will say though at first I really hated Kontakt's factory library. It seemed like it was low on the pizazz factor. But after listening to so many other lackluster romplers, its really not half bad. To get the special stuff you'll have to get the 3rd party libraries, but they are usually stupendous. K5/6 is also great just to throw regualr samples in as well and its great on menory management. Its probably my most used instrument... but Ive alos spent loads of time & money buying sounds that I like. Session Horns Pro being my main purchase.

Sampletank's library has a GREAT sonic factor.. but the tweakabilty & memory mangement sucks. Not to.mention IK goes long stretches of time before significant changes are made. Some instruments are super lack luster (brass & choir) but the keys, basses, & ethnic instruments are the main draws. You can over the basic suckiness of the spunds if you choose to dive into the effects. ST3 just always feels like a tease. If IK really gave it some love it'd be more recommended than what it is.

Again, I have both only because I think so sporadically. Sometimes I need the balance of good sound vs system resources if my song has a lot of instrumentation. Using just 1 has always been frustrating.

As a side note, Im also keen on Xpand2. Its the perfect go between.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Thank you all for your input. I thought you’d all unanimously favour K6, but interestingly enough some prefer ST3 as well.

I’m going to buy ST3 for the time being. It’s good enough for my humble needs writing pop songs. Kontakt is just so fiddly, and I doubt I’ll ever use it to its full potential. In addition, the Kontakt libraries I’m after all work in the free Player. And the tweakability in there is enough for me at the moment.

Once I’m more experienced, I might buy Komplete 12 when it goes on sale.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm
Cinebient wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm The O.P. answered already. He/she prefer Sample Tank. So why don‘t trust your own feeling?
Wat?
In the first post the OP says that he/she prefer Sample Tank over Kontakt and then ask if that is right....but then, why even ask then? Just use what you like more.
For me it would be Kontakt but i only use third party libraries there and never the default libraries/instruments and sold ST3 some time ago since i have no use for it.

Keep in mind that if you are only interested in 3rd party libraries, Kontakt Player is a no-go. You need the full version. The reason is because for a sample library to work on Kontakt Player, the developer must pay a licensing fee to Native Instruments on every sale. The full version of Kontakt has no such restriction. That is why almost all the available 3rd-party libraries require the full version.

So if you want to expand your sonic palette in the future with the thousands of available libraries, Kontakt is an absolute must.

I still don't have Kontakt, but I was able to buy ST3 for around $69 with an upgrade from ST2 and IK Jam points getting it down to that price. Not bad!

I still don't have the full Kontakt, only the player, but I was tempted by a $125 crossgrade deal earlier this year from a licensed instrument.

I had already picked up the full ST3 last year for $60. So probably someday I will get Kontakt, but just don't feel the need yet.

ST3 is a good rompler. The included library is enough for writing songs, or sketching up arrangements. You would probably want real musicians to record with if you get really good or successful anyway.

Plus I have crossgraded from ST3 to add Syntronik and Miroslav Plilharmonic CE for cheap. Those libraries can be imported into ST3, so you have a lot of multi layering options in ST3 with all that included. It pays to wait for the deals. :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”