If not Firefox then what?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DarkStar wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm Thank you guys -a fair range and no clear favourite. :)
Since this is a music forum, I guess Vivaldi is the winner.

perfumer wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm
DarkStar wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm Thank you guys -a fair range and no clear favourite. :)
Since this is a music forum, I guess Vivaldi is the winner.
:tu: :tu: :tu: :party:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Longtime Vivaldi user here. The tabs-on-the-side is the dealmaker here. I have 80 tabs open right now. Hmm. Purge time.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Yeah, the whole customisation part of Vivaldi is brilliant.
- You can put your own panels in there on the side, I have one for my favourite online dictionary, a weather forecast for the cities I deal with etc.
- Chrome extensions work, u-block origin, clear cache, Imagus...
- You can pin tabs you visit regularly, you can also save sessions.
- You can tile several pages so you can see them all at once - awesome if you work in a CMS on your homepage and can have the editor open next to the resulting page, or a help window etc.
- You can have notes and automatically create screenshots along with it.
- Tabs can show thumbnails.
- History is very well implemented.

Not just another browser, it's a powerhouse and very configurable while very easy to use and lightweight & fast...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

FWIW, Microsoft Edge will be based on the Chromium engine soon, so, it will probably have less bugs then. AND, it will also be available on Windows 7, 8, and Mac OS. Hell just froze over. :D

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:40 pm FWIW, Microsoft Edge will be based on the Chromium engine soon, so, it will probably have less bugs then. AND, it will also be available on Windows 7, 8, and Mac OS. Hell just froze over. :D
Who would ever want to use a microsoft browser after they showed how thoroughly they do not get it for decades now? :dog: :clap: :party:

Cheers,

Tom

Frankly, if a pre-installed software does what i want, i won't look for an alternative. So far, they didn't deliver with Edge. It had bugs, some website loaded very slow, and it also had issues here and there with website display. We'll see. Chromium is a very good base. If Edge one day gives me the same user experience as Chrome, i will surely use it. It's not a bad browser at all, if it wasn't for the several bugs and problems i encountered.

Well, that is fair enough.

I personally don't do defaults wherever I can avoid them.
Neither do I save documents in the "my documents" folder, nor music in the "my music" folder.
I don't have VSTs in the default folder and don't eat ready-meals but cook myself. :-)

I ditched the totally demented windows file explorer since Vista x64 for the brilliant XYplorer (people thinking that hiding file extensions is a good idea should rather become shepards or gardeners maybe), the silly image viewer for Xnview and XYplorers built in viewers (getting better all the time, check "mouse-down-blowup"). No windows Media Player for me either, Resonic for audio and Media Player Classic for video work much better.
For email I still miss the old integrated Opera Mail, but found a new home with Postbox for now (mail may come back into Vivaldi at one point).

Windows is an operating system, it does that (up and until 8.1 x64) relatively well with a little help from "Classic Start Menu".
Applications aren't Microsofts strength at all.
Although I recently started to use Microsoft Code - they know a bit or two about programming at least... :-)

YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not all their stuff is top notch, for sure. I use the Win 10 mail client and Groove Music, and, apart from that, MS Office, Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code (well, a bit). Some of their apps are good or OK, others are way too limited, or outright bad.

What i never quite got though is why they get such a beating for most of their stuff, while everyone screams Hooray, when it comes to the Apple stuff. I mean, some of their apps completely suck too, or, at least, there are way better alternatives available. It almost appears to me that most users don't even try Microsoft's stuff, but just believe things they hear or read.

Don't even get me started on Apple - major non-fanboi here... :-)

The built in stuff form Microsoft went from relatively okayish (Outlook Express used to be a mail software worth the name at least) to outright silly for serious use.
It's great that a lot of it doesn't work anyway when not logged in with a MS account (why in hell would anybody want to do that is beyond me), so I'm spared the clumsy stuff.

I don't use Windows 10 for anything but have a spare installation to look at it every couple of months - what a mess, especially seeing what they delivered with version 1809 - and they still insist to push the updates - no matter how buggy - onto peoples machines unasked... No thanks.

As for Office: look at what the current trojan "Emotet" does, kills whole companies and how? Good old Office macros. This problem is decades old and one of the reasons why using "standard software" is so bad.

But I better shut up now, otherwise I'll drag this thread away from Browsers.

Cheers, over and out :-)

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:31 pm stuff
I was cheering you on until the Win10 bit. :lol: Never had a problem with it and I consider myself a geeky power user who hates everything. Maybe I've just forgotten all the customisations I had to do. Running ShutUp10 gets one half way there anyway. Used to run LTSB but stopped because I didn't want to be associated with the nobs who bring it up like clockwork when 10 is mentioned. And many times I have trialled every explorer replacement on the planet. XYPlorer was a strong contender but I went back to inbuilt File Manager cos it's f**king fast. Ah yes, I remember XYs being 32 bit and putting 64 bit shell extensions in a submenu annoyed me. :x :lol:
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

As an OS, Win 10 is brilliant, fast and slick, I'd love to use it.
All the garbage they put on top of the OS is the worst I've ever seen from them (using windows since 3.0).
I'm still not ready for Linux, but hope to be before Win 8.1 runs out.

XYplorer needs to be customised, then it beats everything MS ever did as a file manager by leagues.
Yes it's 32 bit but on my system it's much faster than the MS one. The 64 bit menu and how to deal with it is an option the the very deep preferences. The dev is on fire and does an outstanding job with superclever things all over the place.
It may take a bit of time to fully appreciate it and a little bit of work to set it up, then it's constant bliss...
From audio file preview while mouse-down to remembering the state of the file tree from last time you used it to ONE default view for all folders instead of the MS mess... Tons and tons of goodies.

Anyway, back to browsers:
I found it very sad when Opera gave up their own engine, even with all the problems it had.
I won't shed a single tear over anything MS ever did webwise, but if they also drop their engine, that will leave FF as the last alternative to Chromium. And monocultures aren't any good, since vermin thrives on them...

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 pm Anyway, back to browsers:
I found it very sad when Opera gave up their own engine, even with all the problems it had.
I won't shed a single tear over anything MS ever did webwise, but if they also drop their engine, that will leave FF as the last alternative to Chromium. And monocultures aren't any good, since vermin thrives on them...
I find it hard to believe that Microsoft will incorporate Chromium engine in their browser. It would be like Apple incorporating Windows as the base to their OS. It's surrendering to the competitor. They would better simply remove Edge, and forget about it (as i did - forget, not remove, since I cannot remove it).
Fernando (FMR)

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:13 pm Well, that is fair enough.

I personally don't do defaults wherever I can avoid them.
Neither do I save documents in the "my documents" folder, nor music in the "my music" folder.
I don't have VSTs in the default folder and don't eat ready-meals but cook myself. :-)

I ditched the totally demented windows file explorer since Vista x64 for the brilliant XYplorer (people thinking that hiding file extensions is a good idea should rather become shepards or gardeners maybe), the silly image viewer for Xnview and XYplorers built in viewers (getting better all the time, check "mouse-down-blowup"). No windows Media Player for me either, Resonic for audio and Media Player Classic for video work much better.

Windows is an operating system, it does that (up and until 8.1 x64) relatively well with a little help from "Classic Start Menu".
Applications aren't Microsofts strength at all.

YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Tom
^This^^^
Hmmmm... where do I put this?.. "MY documents" "MY Music" arghhhhhhh!!!! does not get close to "MY Organisation"
As to explorer I have used Free_Commander for many years and occasionally Total_Commander.
OSes.. yeah just relatively well , I suppose... well at least they let me compose )))))

Chrome just blocked me from downloading Brave claiming it was 'dangerous'. Firefox decided it was OK.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”