Bitwig's use of screen space is AWFUL

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a (used) MX Master by Logitech some time ago. This mouse has a second scroll wheel for the thumb which can scroll horizontally. Very useful also with Bitwig Studio! I horizontal scrolling very often in the arranger, launcher, device chain, detail editors, sampler waveform view. etc.

The Apple mouse has no scroll wheel at all. But the top surface is touch sensitive, so move the finger horizontal scrolls horizontal and move vertical and it scrolls vertical. Control + horizontal movement zooms in and out.

I don't use, or have, an apple mouse. I'm using a simple wireless Logitech with my Mac. There is no mouse or mousewheel assignment that I can find in the shortcuts. I can't seem to add any either. It's looking like it's default mousewheel tilt + move mouse up or down, or key commands are my only options. I can live with it, I just wanted to try some different stuff.
-JH

u-u-u wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am I bought a (used) MX Master by Logitech some time ago. This mouse has a second scroll wheel for the thumb which can scroll horizontally. Very useful also with Bitwig Studio! I horizontal scrolling very often in the arranger, launcher, device chain, detail editors, sampler waveform view. etc.
Greatest mouse ever. I thought it was silly to spend so much on a mouse but I bought it and won't look back.

xbitz wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm ^^^ the pointer one, btw yepp the 'Zoom to Fit' shortkey is real lifesaver

"smart tool won't give me the god damn mouse to select something" ... err clicking on the headers (clips, events etc.) selects them
Actually, no it doesn't. I improvise for 10 minutes or more recording and then come back and edit. There is a zoom level at which I can see a clip in the arrange and it's a full square inch in size, but the mouse simply will not switch to the pointer tool. It will switch to the loop tool and the tool for extending the clip at each side, but there is no pointer in the middle, it just hops from the left extend tool to the right extend tool.

It's truly aweful. The tracks need to be able to be resized much more freely than they are now. Look at any other DAW and the amount that can be shown on screen at any one time, and then look at Bitwig.

Seriously guys, I'm being reserved because I really do like what Bitwig has done, but we're getting to version 3 now and it's like, you're overlooking the simple things a hell of a lot.

You must have something funky going down. I can make a clip on a track take up most of the screen. And we'd have a problem if we couldn't select clips. Even at 1/4 inch I can still select a clip. Can you screenshot to show us?
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Do you mean editing? That's pretty darned big...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Random video. At about 5 minute mark he's moving clips. You're saying none of this is possible for you as all you can do is loop or resize? That's bonkers dude. Something's not right. (As mentioned above, it's the top of the clip to select, not the thumbnail note view lower part. Dark bit with the clip name. Sorry if you knew that already.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUlKdWmAn2s

ckam03 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm
u-u-u wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am I bought a (used) MX Master by Logitech some time ago. This mouse has a second scroll wheel for the thumb which can scroll horizontally. Very useful also with Bitwig Studio! I horizontal scrolling very often in the arranger, launcher, device chain, detail editors, sampler waveform view. etc.
Greatest mouse ever. I thought it was silly to spend so much on a mouse but I bought it and won't look back.
I find it gets through its battery far too quickly though, also on my Mac the Bluetooth connection is erratic to say the least, I have to use the wifi wireless mode to get a stable connection which then takes up a spare USB port.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 pm
ckam03 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm
I find it gets through its battery far too quickly though, also on my Mac the Bluetooth connection is erratic to say the least, I have to use the wifi wireless mode to get a stable connection which then takes up a spare USB port.
Are you using the first version? I'm using the 2s and this thing lasts weeks before I have to recharge it.

Yes, the weak Bluetooth connection is particularly bad

I can't re-enact the situation right now. However, I really don't like the tools switching. In fact, I fu*cking hate it. I want to change my own tool the way I ALWAYS did before this came along and fu*cked with 10 years of blissful clicking.

Stamped Records wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 pm I can't re-enact the situation right now. However, I really don't like the tools switching. In fact, I fu*cking hate it. I want to change my own tool the way I ALWAYS did before this came along and fu*cked with 10 years of blissful clicking.
Um, Bitwig is only 4 years old. And I personally would be driven mad by being forced to manually select my tool every single time. I like the smart switching quite a lot, both in the Arranger and down in the Event Editor.

Stamped Records wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 pm I can't re-enact the situation right now. However, I really don't like the tools switching. In fact, I fu*cking hate it. I want to change my own tool the way I ALWAYS did before this came along and fu*cked with 10 years of blissful clicking.
Hold on for a few days,maybe you'll get comfortable. If not,switch to another DAW,no big deal.

"I've been using DAWs for 10 years now, and at around the 8 year mark, every DAW started to f**k with my life with what is known as a smart tool." - Stamped Records

It's been two years. It's time to move on. Things change. :hug:
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”