What are you watching?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD
11540 posts since 21 Jun, 2008

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 am

The Prowler (so-so, with some nice work by Tom Savini).

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

Re: What are you watching?

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:16 am

Watched an hour or so of The Nun, then gave up.

jancivil
KVRAF
16101 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

watched Shimmer Lake last night, brilliant.

mutantdog
KVRAF
1802 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from The Infinite Void

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Watching the new Doctor Who.

I always have reservations when they change the Doctor, even moreso when they ditch the Doctor/companion dynamic and replace it with Doctor + friends. That said, I'm really enjoying this new series, Jodie Whittaker is perfect for the job and the support cast are all pretty well fleshed out characters.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10194 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 am

Metallica in 86.
https://youtu.be/5ESicEzUtqk

They were godlike back then and if you were a god you're always a god :hail:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29990 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:44 am

mutantdog wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Watching the new Doctor Who.

I always have reservations when they change the Doctor, even moreso when they ditch the Doctor/companion dynamic and replace it with Doctor + friends. That said, I'm really enjoying this new series, Jodie Whittaker is perfect for the job and the support cast are all pretty well fleshed out characters.
Don't know why all of a sudden she has to have 4 assistants though when most Doctors get by with just the one. It seems they couldn't seem to decide whether to give her a male or female helper due to the inevitable speculation re sexual dynamics so introduced a whole selection to fudge the issue.

mutantdog
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:44 am
Don't know why all of a sudden she has to have 4 assistants though when most Doctors get by with just the one. It seems they couldn't seem to decide whether to give her a male or female helper due to the inevitable speculation re sexual dynamics so introduced a whole selection to fudge the issue.
I've always been an advocate for the importance of the companion's role in the past. Traditionally, as the human character, the companion serves as a proxy for the viewer as we join the Doctor on (his) adventures. With the right pairing they make for a better double act than the Doctor does as an individual - Matt Smith lost it after Amy left, same for Peter Capaldi after Clara.

I'm guessing with the controversial nature of a female doctor, they felt giving her a team would help establish her as more of a leader instead. You're probably right about the whole sexual tension thing too, seems like a whole minefield of potential problems this time. Nevertheless, the team thing does make for an interesting dynamic.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29990 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:15 am

mutantdog wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 am
aMUSEd wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:44 am
I've always been an advocate for the importance of the companion's role in the past. Traditionally, as the human character, the companion serves as a proxy for the viewer as we join the Doctor on (his) adventures. With the right pairing they make for a better double act than the Doctor does as an individual - Matt Smith lost it after Amy left, same for Peter Capaldi after Clara.

I'm guessing with the controversial nature of a female doctor, they felt giving her a team would help establish her as more of a leader instead. You're probably right about the whole sexual tension thing too, seems like a whole minefield of potential problems this time. Nevertheless, the team thing does make for an interesting dynamic.
I just think it makes it look like they think she needs more support, I was dissapointed by this tbh. Felt it undermined some of the positivity of having a female doctor.

vurt
addled muppet weed
38349 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 pm

its gotta be better than donna noble? surely? whatever they do, it must be better than that!!!

TheSynthScientist
KVRist
64 posts since 29 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Escape at Dannemora

well done and interesting.

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 am

Sharp Objects (okay, not bad; Amy Adams is good in it).

mutantdog
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

Watched the new Derren Brown Netflix special last night.

As a long-term fan it's always good to see him doing something new although i found the presentation of the show to be a little too explanatory. Often the fun is in re-watching his shows to spot the more subtle cues used throughout. I suppose they are anticipating a largely American audience less familiar with his techniques though.

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 pm

woggle
KVRAF
2150 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 pm

D.H. Miltz wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 am
Sharp Objects (okay, not bad; Amy Adams is good in it).
good quality - a bit slow

mgw38
KVRian
1167 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Catching up on "The Good Place". "Janet(s)" episode. I thought season 3 started somewhat slow, but this is probably my favorite episode so far. Some seriously enjoyable Janet-acting in there.

Return to “Off Topic”