Any opinions on Sonivox Eighty Eight ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Bug Music
KVRist
79 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Yeah, I know what the general opinions on Sonivox are around here, but I'm not concerned about all that.

I just saw that Eighty Eight was on sale $15 over at PiB (not that I need another piano), but the demos sounded pretty impressive !

Anybody using it ?
Seems to be a good deal for that price, but was hoping to hear from somebody who actually does use it.

Thanks.

- Jay

shonky
KVRian
789 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Re: Any opinions on Sonivox Eighty Eight ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 am

Bought it and used it a few times, appeared to be a few dead keys but otherwise perfectly playable, but never used it after getting better libraries with Komplete 11 and elsewhere.

Worth a punt if you've not got other options but I'd suggest saving your money and buying better. Think that Waves have a piano that's regularly on sale for around $29 as an alternative to Kontakt and there may be some Sforzando pianos for free of similar quality.

zzz00m
KVRian
1396 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:44 pm

The Addictive Keys Studio Grand demo version comes with 4 octaves (49 keys) for free. I think if I needed another piano, I would upgrade to their full version. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... udio_grand

Although listed for $89 at the XLN site, Addictive Keys can be found for as low as $67 at online sellers like JRR Shop or Audio Deluxe with discount codes in the cart.

I have the Eighty Eight and it sounds OK, probably a bit better than the AIR Mini Grand. I think that Addictive sounds better than either of these.

But now that I have raised the bar closer to the $99 level, there will surely be some recommendations for the Native Instruments pianos that list for $99. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... lete/keys/
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

monomox
KVRist
110 posts since 27 Nov, 2017 from CO, USA

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

There's a guy selling a license for 5 bucks
viewtopic.php?p=7206458#p7206458

monomox
KVRist
110 posts since 27 Nov, 2017 from CO, USA

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 pm

You can download a trial at Sonivox

Stokely
KVRist
66 posts since 11 May, 2010

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm

I have Addictive Keys grand, upright and electric grand (got a great deal on a bundle). I like them, easy copy protection and very flexible.

I did end up "upgrading" the grand I use when CFX lite from Garritan was on sale. It is more dynamic and sounds a bit better than AK grand IMO (as you would hope with many more layers). I think I paid $59 for it, very very nice piano. It's a yamaha cfx vs the AK steinway iirc so a bit of a different sound anyway. I can't imagine I'll need to upgrade for a very long time...my playing is far worse than the plugin :)

I bought both of these when I was still using my older laptop so cpu usage was something I considered. The Garritan piano took quite a while to load at high quality from my old slow hard drive (2-3 minutes). On my newer machine with an ssd it's 1-2 seconds :D

Bug Music
KVRist
79 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies, I did download the demo of Eighty Eight and I've been playing around with it.
It sounds pretty good to me, I'm not really a piano player mainly guitar and bass, but I do tend to like the Steinway sound as far as piano tones go.

And yeah, MiniGrand was my go to piano before :dog: , and this is definitely an improvement over that.

I did swear off the Waves stuff years ago, after many problems getting their stupid "shell" arrangement to work reliably in Cubase VST 5 (not Cubase5 the older "VST" version 5), maybe things are better now days so I might have to revisit Waves.

I'm downloading the Addictive Keys demo now, didn't realize the demo was a slimmed down lite version, thanks I will give that one a try too.

I'm thinking that Eighty Eight might definitely be worth the $15 to me, I probably wouldn't pay more than that though.
Besides, I've got some virtual cash at Plugin Boutique burning a hole in my pocket, enough to cover most of the price. :)

Thanks again !

- Jay

Return to “Instruments”