UVI Falcon layer rules question"note duration"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, this might sound stupid, but what does the "note duration" layer rule do in Falcon and how does it work? I am trying to trigger a layer based on the duration of a midi note, and this seems like perhaps that what this layer rule ought to do. But I can't get it. Maybe that's NOT what this is for. If not, then what the heck is it?

I'm fine with setting up round robin rules, key switch, etc., but I can't figure this thing out.

:?

Obviously Falcon cannot look into the future to know how long you will hold your note. This can only be used for release triggers AFAIK, because this is the only place where you know how long the key has been held.

It is very simple.
The duration of a note differs from the duration of a sample, or patch.
It is about the specific note, a note, that can be representative of one, or multilayered, but usually refers to a specific sound too.
What daw are you using?

yeah, it can be seen a as limiter for the release time.

OK, I get the looking into the future thing. :) So, this can't do what I want it to.

But, as an aside, when a written midi note is being read, Falcon is not looking into the future to see how long is being held. Isn't the duration of the midi note, that particular datum, being read immediately? I mean, Falcon's not waiting until the end of the midi note rolls around to determine how long it is. Is it...?

Unlike a physical piano roll where the hole in the paper has to be read in real time, Falcon "knows" when the end of the midi note is coming as soon as it reads the note. Or am I wrong?

MoveX wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm It is very simple.
The duration of a note differs from the duration of a sample, or patch.
It is about the specific note, a note, that can be representative of one, or multilayered, but usually refers to a specific sound too.
What daw are you using?
I'm using Nuendo.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 pm Obviously Falcon cannot look into the future to know how long you will hold your note. This can only be used for release triggers AFAIK, because this is the only place where you know how long the key has been held.
Gotcha!! That makes sense!

Thinking too much here...

Obviously, Falcon can't see into the future to tell how long a note will be held. But, quite possibly, Falcon already knows how long a written note will be held since the note's duration is already known. But this would mean that Falcon reads live notes coming in from a keyboard differently than it reads notes written as midi parts in the sequencer. Is that correct? Seems kind of weird to me...I would imagine there would be no difference when a sequencer reads a live note and a written note.

There's no such thing as "note duration" in MIDI. You have note on, then you have to wait for note off to see how long the note is being held. So no, note duration is not "read immediately", that's not how MIDI works.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 pm There's no such thing as "note duration" in MIDI. You have note on, then you have to wait for note off to see how long the note is being held. So no, note duration is not "read immediately", that's not how MIDI works.
Thanks! That was my question, essentially!

Is that not too simple. I am using Cubase, actually quite interested in Nuendo, but I need a new MacBook for that one. I am not sure if the time is now to get that Macbook, since I really demand the Intel Xenon Processor, starting above hexa/octa 3,2 without TF, and 32 GB Ram, where I now go with i7 intel quad 2,4 /3,4 on TF with 16 with ssd fast enough anyways, but I am making cabaret and movies as well so. But, however

I have Note Expression in Cubase, en with MIDI, it would have been a shame if there was no note duration. If there is no note duration, then it would be impossible to do all kinds of things, like sync, sync all the thing you can imagine, and could not !?

Note duration use the duration (in milliseconds) of the last already released key so there is a lag because we cannot see the future.
Not perfect but can help if you want to use staccato note if the user press quickly keys, but the first is going to be a miss.

Layer rules if an easy way to setup classic behavior, but if you want more precise stuff, script is the best solution.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

MoveX wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pmI have Note Expression in Cubase, en with MIDI, it would have been a shame if there was no note duration. If there is no note duration, then it would be impossible to do all kinds of things, like sync, sync all the thing you can imagine, and could not !?

It's true. There is NO note duration in MIDI. Just note on, note off. No duration. Sync can be done using MTC or LTC... but it's not sample-accurate, since MIDI is a very slow (by today's standard) serial protocol.

Return to “Instruments”