Fragile Gods - "Cold Comfort" (four track EP released)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A surreal, downbeat song about being haunted by a failed relationship. Aika Zabala lifts the gloom with additional vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB3cKZuu3uE

Synths: Repro-1, Repro-5, Icarus, Audjoo Helix
Drums: BFD3

The lyrics are in the video, click the CC button. Any feedback is appreciated.

Edits:
Dec 16, 2018 - I made some very minor tweaks to the chorus vocal levels and EQ in an attempt to declutter things a bit.

Feb 17, 2019 - The four track Cold Comfort EP is out now in all the usual places:
Last edited by Frantz on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 am, edited 10 times in total.

Nice one, a bit of a Bowie feel to your singing.
The additional female vocals lifts the song as well.

Really good. The drum track brought me in, very happening groove and I find that 16ths in the one synth helps the propulsion factor right from the start as well.

And I like the bridge, and particularly where it happens makes a nice form, and it needs exactly that contrasting section before it wraps up.
Very smart poprock.

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix -10

Overall - 9.75

Comments: Another dude stuck in the 80s. LOL. I meant that as a good thing. Vocals a cross between Billy Idol and some other dude whose name I can't think of. Pisses me off that I can't do stuff this good. LOL. Love the way you recorded the vocals. Great production all the way around.

Hmm...interesting.
For a noob like me it sounds crowded when you both sing with echo.
I don't think your two voices fit together it sounds a bit wrong.
That aside it is a nice song.

Saffran wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 pm Hmm...interesting.
For a noob like me it sounds crowded when you both sing with echo.
I don't think your two voices fit together it sounds a bit wrong.
That aside it is a nice song.
You needed to grow up in the 80s to really get this song and how it was done.

I'd kill to be able to do something this good.

I would place the female voice parts away from the middle, myself.

I paid little attention to popular music in the 80s. I'm not going by any reference points, this has a good groove and is formally satisfying to me.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm Vocals a cross between Billy Idol and some other dude whose name I can't think of.
Phil Oakey? Definitely getting a (more gritty) Human League feel here. Good stuff.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm Vocals a cross between Billy Idol and some other dude whose name I can't think of.
Phil Oakey? Definitely getting a (more gritty) Human League feel here. Good stuff.
Yes, thanks. That's it. Think I told him that on his last tune too. Guy's got a real commercial sound. Well, for 30 years ago anyway.

Another good compact pop tune you've done here.
I like that it starts up quick with the vocals.
The vocals mix (man / woman), worked for me (just would have be interesting if the female vocals would have been more spread in the stereo field... but better?)
And also I'm no expert for 80s music :clown:
I liked the change at 2:28!
When the first refrain came in it was a tad too busy for my taste (but this is hi level nitpicking).

Thanks a lot :)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

well made ...
another quality effort on your part ...

kloon wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 am Nice one, a bit of a Bowie feel to your singing.
The additional female vocals lifts the song as well.
And there I was thinking, I finally did a song where I avoided sounding like Bowie. You shot that down in comment number one. :P

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting kloon. :)

I really enjoyed it. I liked the call and response with the male and female voices. I can see this being in a the credits of a movie or even a music video. Nice job!
Software: Reason 10, Acid Pro 8, Reaper, Sibelius,RapidComposer,Captain Plugins, Orb Plugins
https://soundcloud.com/devin-cooper-620205327
Need help with writing Lyrics, Try This: https://lyricstudio.net/?via=devin

Quality 80s track with all the requisite elements.
Enjoyed it!
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Listened, liked, came back for more.

I think the vocals are fine in the verses, but you could separate them more in the chorus.

Return to “Music Cafe”