Recommendations please - 2in 2out USB audio interface?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Steinberg MR816x. I don't need so many ins/outs nowadays, mostly computer based other than Gtr & vocals on occasions and could do with saving space.

Requirements:
2ins - Gtr/vocals (HiZ & Phantom)
2outs - for monitors
Separate headphone jack with volume control

Any recommendations for equivalent or improvement in sound quality please?

Thanks.

Focusrite 2i2 sounds right for you. The second gen fixed the clipping issues the first gen one had in certain situations.

I have the first gen 6i6 and it's been solid.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:26 pm Focusrite 2i2 sounds right for you. The second gen fixed the clipping issues the first gen one had in certain situations.

I have the first gen 6i6 and it's been solid.
Thanks for the reply.
I've just been looking at this and seems ideal, but then I noticed the Clarett range as I'm on a Mac. Big step up in price though and I'm not sure if my home studio would benefit?

Yeah I'm not sure about the Claretts. They are quite a bump in price. If you have a good mic you might see some benefit with the pre-amps. Not sure if you would going in with a guitar. There is the possible advantage of Thunderbolt though.
Image Image Image Image

How is the Scarlett with latency? I think the Clarett range is near zero?

It's pretty good. Results will vary according to your buffer size and sample rate but as there's no drivers needed on macOS it won't be as low as someone like RME who have their own optimised drivers.

Does your Mac have USB 2.0 ports? I'm not sure how well the Scarletts work on 3.0 ports as I have mine on 2.0.
Image Image Image Image

My iMac has USB 3.

Sounds like it could be a good choice.
Thanks

Second vote for the 2i2

Forget the cheap USB focusrites if you want low latency - my pick would would steinberg ur22/ur44 or NI komplete Audio 6, both are decent low latency (in USBB i/f terms anyway) and reasonably priced.

Or just go for broke and get a rme babyface pro

Steinberg UR22mk2.

Pictus wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am Reference for latency
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=2186
That's helpful, thanks.

Have a RME Fireface UC on studio and a UR22mk2 for the notebook.
Can recommend both. The Steinberg is more kind of the traditional I/O interface. The RME is a "all you can get" studio interface (love TotalMix).
Can't recommend Focusrite. Had two from them and nothing but driver issues (blue-screens, crackls, no more drivers for current windows version).

PurpleSunray wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am Have a RME Fireface UC on studio and a UR22mk2 for the notebook.
I got the same ones and use them the same as you. :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”