What were your go-to synths for 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 am I imagine most ASR-10 owners did what I did - bought the SCSI board and used an external hard-drive. I had all my stuff on 240MB Syquest removable disks (yes, that's megabytes). Does this library include the most amazing heavy metal guitar samples of all time? The local distributor's rep gave me a floppy with them on, back in the day, and they were amazing. I once tried to translate them to something I could use on my PC but they got all mangled and I gave up. I'd happily pay $100 to be able to use them again.
well theoretically they're in there somewhere! do you remember what they were called? I could check the files for them.

edit: wagtunes, i guess i'm kind of lucky in that i never really had the money for that sort of thing, so i learned to just try to make the most of whatever it was i owned at the time. i've found myself very slow to get any new synthesizers, opting instead to make do with the ones i have now.

It was only in the past year that I discovered that Sytrus is free with FL Studio. I honestly don't know how long that has been the case, but having found that out, I tried it. I'm hooked. I've put it in every track I've worked on in FL. Have to admit, that's my go to. Surprising to me.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Kontakt
Repro
Tal-mod

BBFG# wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:51 am They just need to put the direct downloads from our accounts back. But they're quite indifferent to it working for everyone.
Maybe they are just sick and tired of seeing all their hard work available for free the same day they release it and they'd like to be able to get everyone who wants to use it to pay for it. Who knows, if they could do it successfully, they might be able to sell stuff cheaper to everyone? I realise it's probably frustrating for you but I completely understand why it is the way it is. Waves stuff won't work in my host, never did, and Waves showed less than no interest in trying to fix that. So I don't use Waves stuff. Their loss, not mine.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 amI have over 100 and it's insane.
In some ways the wealth of riches is a curse.
I think I have around a dozen and I only regularly use 5 or 6 of those, the rest are for backwards-compatibility.
sleepcircle wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 am well theoretically they're in there somewhere! do you remember what they were called? I could check the files for them.
Absolutely no idea. I'm not even sure if they were ever officially available or something the guy who gave them to me got hold of through a third party or something.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 am
BBFG# wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:51 am They just need to put the direct downloads from our accounts back. But they're quite indifferent to it working for everyone.
Maybe they are just sick and tired of seeing all their hard work available for free the same day they release it and they'd like to be able to get everyone who wants to use it to pay for it. Who knows, if they could do it successfully, they might be able to sell stuff cheaper to everyone? I realise it's probably frustrating for you but I completely understand why it is the way it is.
Now that's some whack apologetics there. Komplete nonsense that's also not worth my time.

LooFoX wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am Mostly using Bitwig's internal synths for a few years now.

Built an EP with it and some U-He ACE sounds and Battery 4 samples.

Bought U-He Repro in the end of last summer because I love Prophet's sounds and trying things with it since then :).

Bought in the past years lots of synths during sales (Komplete 10, AIEP 3, Synthmaster, U-He ACE), but in the end mainly using Bitwig's synths because I know them the most :)
I might start using Bitwigs poly and fm synths more. I bought zebra/dark zebra as my workhorse synth shortly after getting the DAW. I absolutely love Bitwigs modulations and how it shows you whats being modulated. That is the one thing that is missing from most synths, visuals on modulation depth/rate. Ive found a middle ground, use modulators from Bitwig on Zebra.

BONES wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:06 am
Wasp 5 (Native to Orion and still my go-to after nearly 20 years)
wasp is the one thing i miss about not using orion any more.
i still have it on my system, but as i use more audio these days and that was orions weak point, it doesn't get fired up so often.
but wasp was a fat bastard when you needed it to be :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 am You know, let's be honest guys. There's just too many synths out there. And if you're OCD and compulsive, like I am, you can end up with almost every single one of them.
i have komplete (because i wanted kontakt and it was cheaper to get komplete as a reaktor owner than to buy kontakt...) of which i use, reaktor, absynth and kontakt.

then ace and zebra.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 am You know, let's be honest guys. There's just too many synths out there. And if you're OCD and compulsive, like I am, you can end up with almost every single one of them.
i have komplete (because i wanted kontakt and it was cheaper to get komplete as a reaktor owner than to buy kontakt...) of which i use, reaktor, absynth and kontakt.

then ace and zebra.
First synths (stuff) I ever got not including the free ones I downloaded.

ACE
Zebra 2
Komplete 9
Synthmaster 2

That's what started it all. I probably could have stopped there.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:02 pm Zebra 2
i saw zebra when it was nothing more than an oscillator :hihi:

i was mainly using orions onboard bits and free stuff early on, along with vaz and reaktor sessions :o
then when they pulled sessions moved up to full, think it was 3 or 4?
then komplete9 was my first komplete, then upgraded to 11.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

i was mainly using orions onboard bits and free stuff early on, along with vaz and reaktor sessions :o
I wanted to get Vaz modular but by the time I found out about it, it was no longer being sold.

however, your point definitely stands up!
there are so many great synths, it gives each of us so many options, that if synth a isn't for you then synth b, c or up to z will be the one.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

I wanted to get Vaz modular but by the time I found out about it, it was no longer being sold.
was an awesome piece of kit.
sadly my serial was attached to an old email addy so i lost it when my last pc died :x

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 pm however, your point definitely stands up!
there are so many great synths, it gives each of us so many options, that if synth a isn't for you then synth b, c or up to z will be the one.
The problem for me isn't in finding the right synth, but the not so right one! I have too many great synths and the good ones keep coming :dog:

It gets confusing when choosing which synth I should use now!

EnGee wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 pm
It gets confusing when choosing which synth I should use now!

obviously, the one that goes best with your current outfit.

amateurs!

Return to “Instruments”