Can Visual Studio Code coexist on same machine as other older Visual Studio?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
Have an old Visual Studio 2005 and learning VST development not many projects samples are ready for that. I managed to fool the system with some VC9(VS2008) by editing version down to 8.00.

But there are mostly later editions that are ready for sample projects out there as I discovered. And the vcxproj stuff is divided and very different to crack in this sense.

#1 option - environment with editor that support vcxproj files of any sort this Visual Studio Code came up. No new pc needed if it can coexist with existing Visual Studio without problems.

Then I can cut and paste code from samples over to a project I am working on.

#2. option - Visual Studio Community 2017 - but then another pc would be required to my experience.

I once upgrade my VS2005 machine with VS2010 and went through hell to get VS2005 back to normal.

Thank for any input.

Visual Code has no overlap or conflict with Visual Studio 2017, I have no reason to expect it would overlap with any other version of VS.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sounds good, thank you.

But it can open vcxproj files, or?
There is something vcxproj.filter files as well, not sure what that is.

Just getting the source code that belong together as an entity - and possibly compiler switches to use, kind of?
Or is it just pure editing with syntax coloring.

Or is there something else that can open and then save in an older .dsp style or similar?
Those usually convert ok.

Hmm I have Visual Studio 6 ( :lol: ), 2012, 2015 and 2017 on my machine, all in parallel and all just work.
So can't confirm that you need a second PC to install a second MSVC version.

PurpleSunray wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm Hmm I have Visual Studio 6 ( :lol: ), 2012, 2015 and 2017 on my machine, all in parallel and all just work.
So can't confirm that you need a second PC to install a second MSVC version.
Interesting to hear. Not sure what I did to screw up my old one - that is was an upgrade to VS2010 Professional and not side by side or similar?

I have VS2005 on an x86 XP as well as an Windows 7 x64 laptop machine, and loads of patches was looked up to make that work on windows 7 with debug and all. So really scared to jeapardize that install.

My XP machine is from 2003 - and might drop at any time soon. It's on overtime(currently my internet machine).

And daw computer I try to keep clean from development stuff.

Most often just importing source files and some minor compiler switches work - and might look inside vcxproj files or those belonging to configs for the compiler switches of special multi platform stuff.

Just look for as short route as possible to learning what I need for a basic VST Midi Fx project to get going with doing just the midi stuff - and the rest in place.

I sent a PM to InsertPizHere but he does not seem to be around here anymore.

If anybody care to share such a scelleton project to cut and paste from it would be awesome. I have VstSdk in place and some minor basic files that compiles. No audio, just midi parts.

You don't need the project files in order to open just some source code examples. The proj contains just metadata, compiler/debugger settings etc. Oh, and it has a list of all the source files.

VS-Code is an IDE but works very different from VisualStudio in what I have seen. No project file required, you just open the folder. It's a git repo most likely anyway, so why make an extra abstraction layer filtering what you see and what you do not see. Repetition of the .gitignore file...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 pm You don't need the project files in order to open just some source code examples. The proj contains just metadata, compiler/debugger settings etc. Oh, and it has a list of all the source files.

VS-Code is an IDE but works very different from VisualStudio in what I have seen. No project file required, you just open the folder. It's a git repo most likely anyway, so why make an extra abstraction layer filtering what you see and what you do not see. Repetition of the .gitignore file...
Thanks.
I suspect there are loads of compiler switches depending on platform you develop for and things like that. I guess I can follow the basic project settings for the rest.

I go for gui-less stuff like InsertPiz stuff as a start. Good enough for me.

I think I do fine with VS2005 - so just getting core things in order, kind of.

What I aim to do is a Sysex handler to capture if sending sysex dump for a patch of a used instrument. and have a certain midi sequence identifier that StudioOne can record -and trigger sending of that sysex in a project.

So capturing that and store with project and circumvent no record of sysex in StudioOne. That's the idea and share with those finding that useful(windows then). signing up for github it could be there and somebody make a mac version as well, maybe.

I've tested and StudioOne can send sysex(like from a plugin), but filter and does not record.

I found link to InsertPiz SourceCode that he was kind enough to share with us
https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmi ... rce?page=2

This will speed up my learning a lot having samples to start out with.
Basically a cpp and hpp file for each plugin and common folder for core stuff.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”