Soundtoys Bundle vs Cableguys Shaper Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:42 am
Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am Wow - this sounds like a great trick, can't wait to test this! I took a note to involve you here if the trick can be turned into a good new feature for TimeShaper.
Whoa, really?—what kind of feature were you thinking of?
I was thinking of the pre EQ and inverse post EQ (for example a toggle button in TimeShaper "Activate record EQ").

Cableguys plugins are one of the best in existence, thanks to their usefulness and ease of use.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 am
sleepcircle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:42 am
Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am Wow - this sounds like a great trick, can't wait to test this! I took a note to involve you here if the trick can be turned into a good new feature for TimeShaper.
Whoa, really?—what kind of feature were you thinking of?
I was thinking of the pre EQ and inverse post EQ (for example a toggle button in TimeShaper "Activate record EQ").
I am struggling to see what the two RIAA eq curves gets us though - it is a linear process so the sum of the curve and its inverse = flat ie no effect. Have you tried the process without the two EQs?

I'd rather volume for each band :) or even better, separate outs for each band (or should I have read the manual:) )
what you don't know only makes you stronger

woggle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 am I am struggling to see what the two RIAA eq curves gets us though - it is a linear process so the sum of the curve and its inverse = flat ie no effect. Have you tried the process without the two EQs?
The first EQ is applied before the scratching happens, the other afterwards.. lowering specific frequencies before might make good sense. But I haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it.
woggle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 am I'd rather volume for each band :) or even better, separate outs for each band (or should I have read the manual:) )
Oh you can simply add an instance of multiband VolumeShaper for volume. There's only stereo out for ShaperBox right now.

My advice, dont get either of them. You dont need em.
1. Most of soundtoys toys can be mirrored using basic stock effects
2. The automation curves in cable guys really aren't precise enough for complex & and quick mod. Gatekeeper is much better for dat

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 am
woggle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 am I am struggling to see what the two RIAA eq curves gets us though - it is a linear process so the sum of the curve and its inverse = flat ie no effect. Have you tried the process without the two EQs?
Oh you can simply add an instance of multiband VolumeShaper for volume. There's only stereo out for ShaperBox right now.
great thanks - I will be interested to hear your results with the EQ - originally the RIAA curves were to do with physical limitations on disc cutting technology
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 amThe automation curves in cable guys really aren't precise enough for complex & and quick mod.
That's news to us.. they are sample-accurate

Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 am
lol
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 am My advice, dont get either of them. You dont need em.
go on then; provide some evidence.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Both are very very very different effects.

Shaperbox has more in common with Glitch 2, GlitchBitch, GrossBeat, Stutter, Turnado, Effectrix and used to Shape/create and reshape/sequence existing midi audio patterns/sequences.

Soundtoys is effect suite used for more general sound processing and you marely can do things that Shaperbox can (i have both btw) and only with few fx modules wheres in the end workflow is very cumbersome because GUI was not designed for that in the first place.

My suggestion buy things that suit yout workflow or better use demos to create actual music because only then you will see your "true needs" :-)

Yeah, that's how I started out--without the EQs.

It's not entirely a linear process because the frequency that gets emphasized before time-warping may not be the same frequency that gets de-emphasized AFTER time-warping. Or should I say, the emphasized content may end up being at a different frequency once it comes time for the de-emphasis.

You don't necessarily NEED the RIAA curve thing, it just makes the sound a little more lively and a little more like a record scratch—slower parts of the scratch have more high frequency content and crispness, and faster parts of the scratch aren't quite as shrill.

jens wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 pm
Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 am
lol
(Sorry, I'm short-tempered when it comes to you, as I typically can't stand much of what you write)

well this will only make the situation better

This plugin implements the RIAA curve. You create an FX sandwich starting with RIAA in inverse mode, then your FX, then RIAA in playback mode. I tried it with Decapitator. It's interesting how it reshapes the saturation.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/riaa-b ... nd/details

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 am
Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 amThe automation curves in cable guys really aren't precise enough for complex & and quick mod.
That's news to us.. they are sample-accurate
Why don't you have volume knobs on the plugins ?

I've been demo'ing today, lovely UI, nice and simple to use great sound but I miss the volume knob, sometimes the FX reduces volume and I'd like to turn it up in the plugin to compensate rather than do it at the fader

Return to “Effects”