Which volca would I take?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I want to go for my first (afordable) synth. I don’t think there are much synthesizers in the price range of the volca’s which sounds good. I own a pocket operator po-33 which I would love to connect with the volca.

So the big question is.. Which one should I get? I’m looking for a versatile volca, but it must also ‘add’ something extra to the way how I produce music now. I now only use vst plugins to create music. I use my po-33 very rarely. I really want my music to sound more analog. The volca beats which is a great box isnt gonna be the one for sure. Although I like the machine, its only drums and nothing more. I could use my Po-33 for drums aswell tbh. Korg volca sample is also nice, but again not the most ideal in my case I think because already own a sampler. Korg volca FM seems like the most versatile of them all, but its not really analog? Also don’t like the build in presets that much, but Ive read that you can load in patches. Volca keys seems interesting, but I dont really know if it would fit in the genre which I produce. The korg volca bass sounds great, but yeah its only bass.. And the last the volca kick which seems the least versatile of the series although I love how it sounds.

Its a difficult choice, so I post this topic to ask what you guys think. I’m just sick of the only vst workflow. I want to feel some knobs and make handmade animations(my keyboard doesnt intergrate with live so I only do this in the daw itself..)

Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 pm Volca keys seems interesting, but I dont really know if it would fit in the genre which I produce.
And the genre is ... ? :P

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 pm
Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 pm Volca keys seems interesting, but I dont really know if it would fit in the genre which I produce.
And the genre is ... ? :P
Based on the info given thus far I assume it’s Minimal.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 pm I really want my music to sound more analog.
Have you considered a MicroBrute, MiniBrute or Monologue rather than a Volca? The Volca Keys is a nice enough little synth, but its a little on the "fiddly" side due to it's size.

I own all the Volcas. If it is analog you are after and keys and beats has been ruled out I think you'd be better off with IK UNO for versatility. It is a bit more but if you have some jam points you might be in the price zone.

Sorry guys I forget the put the genre in my message.

Its detroit electro/techno.
Last edited by Coenf99 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 pm I own all the Volcas. If it is analog you are after and keys and beats has been ruled out I think you'd be better off with IK UNO for versatility. It is a bit more but if you have some jam points you might be in the price zone.
Only the sample and beats are ruled out for now.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 pm
Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 pm I really want my music to sound more analog.
Have you considered a MicroBrute, MiniBrute or Monologue rather than a Volca? The Volca Keys is a nice enough little synth, but its a little on the "fiddly" side due to it's size.
Yeah, but i’m not a great piano player although in learning. I want a synth with a step seq build in. I don’t think the fiddly size is gonna be a problem, the pocket operator are also fiddly and I have no issues playing on them.

Every one of those synths I mentioned has a step sequencer built-in ... the Brutes are also semi-modular.

Get a Neutron, twice the price of a Volca but 100 times the functionality and fun.
Only get a Volca if its really cheap.
I got the Volca Keys a few years ago for £75 during Amazon Black Friday, I think I was ripped off.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:36 am Every one of those synths I mentioned has a step sequencer built-in ... the Brutes are also semi-modular.
Ah I didnt know that. But isnt it that the microbrute has no presets?

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 am Get a Neutron, twice the price of a Volca but 100 times the functionality and fun.
Only get a Volca if its really cheap.
I got the Volca Keys a few years ago for £75 during Amazon Black Friday, I think I was ripped off.
Have watched some youtube videos with the neutron.. What a beast! Sounds really nice. I can get a volca for 100€. Neutron are 275€ and I think you need something like the korg sq-1 with it. So for me its now too expensive for my first synth. Maybe in the future:) ps: model D is also a very nice one from behringer

what does this actually mean to you?

I'd get a Volca Keys or FM. I even like the Volca Bass, which is a rare opinion.

If you haven't ruled out Keys... watch a few youtube videos first. I didn't like it all for the first day or two and now it is my favorite. Opinions are highly variable on it so it may be cannon fodder for you and a gem to someone else. For me, of the analog Volcas it is my favourite followed by the Volca Bass. Beats is OK but I have sampled the hell out of it where I get a lot more use out of it in that form given stereo panning and layering options with the Volca Beats character.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”