Acoustica Premium 7.1.8 - no Help Files now

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.1.8, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

My Help files seem to have disappeared. When I click on Help > Show Help, nothing happens, neither when I press F1. Twice, I have uninstalled and then installed Acoustica again, in the second time after restarting my computer, but to no avail.

Would you have any idea about that?

Thank you.

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:34 pm Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.1.8, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

My Help files seem to have disappeared. When I click on Help > Show Help, nothing happens, neither when I press F1. Twice, I have uninstalled and then installed Acoustica again, in the second time after restarting my computer, but to no avail.

Would you have any idea about that?
Thanks for reporting. I wonder what's going on there. You have the 64 bit version of Acoustica installed, right? Is the file "Acoustica_en.chm" present in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Acon Digital\Acoustica\Help" on your computer?

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian,

Thank you. Yes, I use Acoustica Premium 7.1.8 64-bit, on Windows 10 Professional with all the latest updates.

And yes, in the folder you have pointed out I have the file "Acoustica_en.chm", with about 8 Mb, and also this other file: "Acoustica_de.chm" (which I suppose are the Help files in German). I use Acoustica always in English.

Paulo-Brazil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:00 pm Mr. Stian,

Thank you. Yes, I use Acoustica Premium 7.1.8 64-bit, on Windows 10 Professional with all the latest updates.

And yes, in the folder you have pointed out I have the file "Acoustica_en.chm", with about 8 Mb, and also this other file: "Acoustica_de.chm" (which I suppose are the Help files in German). I use Acoustica always in English.
Thanks for the info. Can you double click these files to open them manually?

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian, in my computer I open files with just one click - I have configured Windows in that way.

I cannot open any of the two Help files manually by clicking on them, either with one click or with a double click.

Paulo-Brazil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 pm Mr. Stian, in my computer I open files with just one click - I have configured Windows in that way.

I cannot open any of the two Help files manually by clicking on them, either with one click or with a double click.
Thanks for testing, Paulo. In that case, I believe there's a problem with your Windows configuration and that HTML help files cannot be displayed. I'm afraid I don't know what could be the culprit.

Best,
Stian

Mr. Stian, thank you. So, I will try to figure out what is happening with my Windows. Possibly, some piece of software that displays HTML help files is missing. I will keep you informed, later.

Thank you once again. Regards,

Paulo

Mr. Stian,

If I copy the file "Acoustica_en.chm" from the folder "C:\ProgramData\Acon Digital\Acoustica\Help" to the drive D: (one of the partitions of my hard disk), then I am able to manually open the Help files by clicking on that copy of the file located in drive D:

So, it seems that the issue is not caused by a lack of the piece of Windows software that opens .chm files. The issue seems to be caused by security restrictions placed by Windows on (some? all?) .chm files located in drive C:.

For my drive D:, the System Properties / Protection Settings is OFF, unlike what happens for drive C:, for which this setting in ON.

By right-clicking on the file "Acoustica_en.chm" in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Acon Digital\Acoustica\Help", I am not able to unblock that file in relation to security, since there is no "Unblock" check-window in Properties > General tab - this is the action suggested on some Internet sites.

On this site (updated on 15 Jun 2018):

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArtic ... 000PARcSAO

we can find this information: "Certain versions of Microsoft Windows block .chm help files as a security measure to prevent the spread of malicious code".

My Windows 10 Professional 64-bit is version 1809 (the latest update was installed today), and I have not tampered with any file security settings.

I don't have the inclination, nor the necessary skills nor the time, to struggle with the inner gears of Windows. So, for now, I will use the copy of the Acoustica Help files that I have placed on drive D:. I will have to open that file manually from outside Acoustica, only a minor drawback.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 pm If I copy the file "Acoustica_en.chm" from the folder "C:\ProgramData\Acon Digital\Acoustica\Help" to the drive D: (one of the partitions of my hard disk), then I am able to manually open the Help files by clicking on that copy of the file located in drive D:

So, it seems that the issue is not caused by a lack of the piece of Windows software that opens .chm files. The issue seems to be caused by security restrictions placed by Windows on (some? all?) .chm files located in drive C:.

For my drive D:, the System Properties / Protection Settings is OFF, unlike what happens for drive C:, for which this setting in ON.

By right-clicking on the file "Acoustica_en.chm" in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Acon Digital\Acoustica\Help", I am not able to unblock that file in relation to security, since there is no "Unblock" check-window in Properties > General tab - this is the action suggested on some Internet sites.

On this site (updated on 15 Jun 2018):

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArtic ... 000PARcSAO

we can find this information: "Certain versions of Microsoft Windows block .chm help files as a security measure to prevent the spread of malicious code".

My Windows 10 Professional 64-bit is version 1809 (the latest update was installed today), and I have not tampered with any file security settings.

I don't have the inclination, nor the necessary skills nor the time, to struggle with the inner gears of Windows. So, for now, I will use the copy of the Acoustica Help files that I have placed on drive D:. I will have to open that file manually from outside Acoustica, only a minor drawback.
Thanks for the elaboration. It seems like a security patch from Microsoft is causing the problems. We'll investigate, and we might switch to pure HTML help that can be opened in any browser if the Microsoft solution doesn't work satisfactory. That's the way we do it on MacOS.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”