Please beware of Mystery Islands Music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have their Virus C editor... the only issue I am having with it is the extremely long preset loading times with latest update. Hopefully they will address it - that and the the tiny gui (especially the library) which is said to be improved in a forthcoming 2.0 release.

I suspect that VST editors are very difficult. Some hardware have poorly implemented midi protocols and were never intended for complete VST integration with automation. My expectations are simple... can I tweak the sounds, save the sounds and recall the sounds? If I can do that then anything above that it bonus because it opens up the sound design process for me.

I realize that Msytery Islands promise more than this but with years of messing with 3rd party editors I have to say they are the top of the heap in what must be a very technical exercise given that they have no real control over poorly implemented midi specs and setup procedures that vary depending upon the DAW and countless midi interfaces of varying qualities.

Sorry that you having a rough time getting any satisfaction from them... my comments won't help you there.

planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:46 am
The second review you quoted was changed from a 1-star review (including helpful text which explained the user's concerns) to a 5-star review (with meaningless text which doesn't even form a complete sentence) for some reason.

Steve
Quite frankly, this sort of deception paints the owner in a very bad light, regardless of how the software behaves.

I've been using the VirusHC on pc and Mac for a long time and the editor really works fine! I really like their editor, no problems here. I contacted the developer some months ago and got a fast and very helpful reply.

Perhaps it's something with your midi-interface? Did you check if the sysex-transfer between the synthesizer and your computer is working? I ask, because I once tried a cheap mobile midi-interface to backup and edit my Access Virus and I always got errors. Using the MOTU Micro Lite and M-Audio MIDISport everything works fine. This was the same problem with simple syses-dumps from the synthesizer and there was no way I could work with the VirusHC Editor. But this was a fault with a cheap midi-interface.

Did you try to send and recieve syses-dumps with your midi interface?

Scotty wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:46 pm My expectations are simple... can I tweak the sounds, save the sounds and recall the sounds?
That's my problem. Multiple function knobs/buttons wipe out entire patches on the GUI. The librarian also has bugs which prevent recalling and saving patches. The plug is broken on a very basic level.

Perhaps it's something with your midi-interface? Did you check if the sysex-transfer between the synthesizer and your computer is working? I ask, because I once tried a cheap mobile midi-interface to backup and edit my Access Virus and I always got errors. Using the MOTU Micro Lite and M-Audio MIDISport everything works fine. This was the same problem with simple syses-dumps from the synthesizer and there was no way I could work with the VirusHC Editor. But this was a fault with a cheap midi-interface.

Did you try to send and recieve syses-dumps with your midi interface?
Everything is set up properly and working with my hardware. The only thing that I got from the live chat I did initially with the dev was that my MIDI interface should be compatible and work.
Last edited by SAW75 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post

planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 am I don't have a horse in this race, but it's a bit disturbing that many (and probably most) of the 5-star reviews on the site are from the same people. And they're not the same reviews mistakenly displayed several times; there's something slightly different in each one.

In one case, a 1-star review (and lengthy explanation) was somehow turned into a 5-star review with text that makes no sense. This is on the second page of reviews, just before the four (yes, 4) 5-star reviews from "Fabio B.".

It may well be that these multiple--and bogus--5-star reviews are what helped the company get a "4.6 out of 5-star" overall rating.

I haven't bought anything from this company, but that just looks bad.

Steve
Shady AF. I wouldn't buy from anyone that goes in and changes 1-star reviews to 5-star ones (if that's really what's happening.)

Found him one of the least shady devs ever, I'm using his new S/N2X editor which was in beta for a while but receives constant updates. He always appears to updating different versions of his software, new videos being made to help users work them etc. While developing the Nova one as I have the Nova II keyboard version which is slightly different to the Supernova 2 he said I can help with any features by just sending a video of how things behave. He added some of the ADSR options after I mentioned them. I think his forums were a fairly new thing on the site and i'm sure he'll improve things more.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

jsp1979 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:46 am
The second review you quoted was changed from a 1-star review (including helpful text which explained the user's concerns) to a 5-star review (with meaningless text which doesn't even form a complete sentence) for some reason.

Steve
Quite frankly, this sort of deception paints the owner in a very bad light, regardless of how the software behaves.
+1

whannel wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:34 pm new videos being made to help users work them etc.
He has made no MicroKorg editor videos... I wonder why... :?

It seems the reviews on his site are meaningless. He is filtering them anyway. I wrote a review days ago that never showed up. I got a customer email prompting me to make a review today. I did. It never showed up. The funny thing is I get a form email sent back to me after both 1 star reviews from "Jani" asking what he can do to fix my problem... awesome.

@SAW75
Just contact with you credit card comany customer service and tell them you didn't got your product you paid for and you got scammed and i belive you will get your money back.
I did that in the past and it worked.

I bought the Virus editor from him although this was a couple of years ago. I had some questions regarding the functionality and messaged him on his Facebook page. He got back to me immediately and we had multiple conversations and he was very helpful.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Funny how some people seem to have had zero problems with this guy and others have had nothing but. Bipolar customer service...interesting. :scared:

Wonder if your mails are ending up in his spam folder by mistake? Seems strange he would answer some support mails and ignore others. Contact him on Facebook and then you will definitely know your message is getting to him.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

my experiences with the mystery islands were nothing but great. the products work and the dev was responsive.

Return to “Instruments”