Lets have real talk about audio interfaces

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I usually look into audio interfaces at Christmas time. I do a lot of traveling on trains, plains, and automobiles, so I am all about portable quality. I am not going to blast thousands on a portable interface that may or may not work with windows, and I'm not going to play with ilok. That being said, what is it with these 2*2 interfaces? is there one that actually works? focusrite has noise problems, mackie has non existent 32 drivers, NI has that software manager, behringer has no standards, the rest have latency issues.

I'm looking at zoom... anything better on the market? and, why is it so hard to offer affordable, portable audio?

macbook onboard is fine for me outside of the studio, unless you're recording with a mic on a train, why would you need to take an interface with you? most onboard soundcards are fine. I generally program with the trackpad, so latency isn't a problem for me. it's rare i'm carting a midi keyboard onto a plane.

if you only need outputs, i think the tiny black rectangular Native Instruments interfaces are great value and sound.

OK. well. audio interfaces are easier on a mac. I used to use exclusively mac back in the Jobs days. These days its hard to deal with apple as a company and I tried PC and liked it. It does take more effort and software though. I am running 1024/64 samples at 27 MS, which isnt terrible, but I hear some folks getting below 10 MS and I want that ish LoL. Tascam seems to be doing better after going in house, but it's these guys hiring outsourced drivers for windows having real issues. The tascam hardware looks kind of cheap tho, maybe I'm wrong?I have a 2013 macbook pro sitting next to me decked with 3 gig i7, 16 gig ram, and terabyte harddrive, but it doesn't have my software on it. i would rather find a good PC interface. ZOOM seems like the best right now.

Honestly, if some of you "talented" programmers want to make money, design a great audio driver for windows.

RME BabyFace Pro.

Solid build quality, small portable and best ASIO drivers in the industry (one of the few companies that codes their own).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47 am RME BabyFace Pro.

Solid build quality, small portable and best ASIO drivers in the industry (one of the few companies that codes their own).

well, ya, at 600$ cheap lol. I could do it, but I'm kind of asking why it doesn't come cheaper then 600$. All I want is a good quality 2*2 audio interface with low latency. I got to go 600 hundy to get that?

I miss echo terribly TBH.

in 48 hrs. Imma pop on a zoom. let me know if you come up with a better solution.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 am well, ya, at 600$ cheap lol. I could do it, but I'm kind of asking why it doesn't come cheaper then 600$. All I want is a good quality 2*2 audio interface with low latency. I got to go 600 hundy to get that?
What is an acceptable latency to you?

yellowmix wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:22 am
Dasheesh wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 am well, ya, at 600$ cheap lol. I could do it, but I'm kind of asking why it doesn't come cheaper then 600$. All I want is a good quality 2*2 audio interface with low latency. I got to go 600 hundy to get that?
What is an acceptable latency to you?
good question... trying to keep it under 10 ms to make it worth a buy TBH. There just isnt a whole lot of experience on the internet about low latency audio, at least not talking. That's sort of the point. hoping to bring out the shadow guys that have a lot of experience. how about this on? http://www.artproaudio.com/product/dual ... irect-box/

That is a direct box, not an audio interface. It converts high impedance signals to low impedance ones, so while it can be used to get, say, an electric guitar into your laptop, you're still using your laptop's built-in audio system, whatever it is. On Windows they are generally very poor for low latency. May I ask what you are recording?

Do you intend to use software synths? If not, you might be able to forget about latency if you simply do direct monitoring (unless you want to hear the input run through software effects).

Just go with RME and don't buy another interface in two decades, you will question yourself why you didn't get one sooner.
dedication to flying

Another vote for RME. You get what you pay for.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

What is your problem with Focusrite?
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”